Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What Major change...        (Topic#1589411)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

What major change do you see from your earliest scrapbooking endeavors to your more recent?

My biggest change is that I like bigger pictures. My pages tend to be basically clean and simple so the 5 x 7's and even 8 x 10's work well for me. Maybe I'm getting older and so is my eyesight but I'm enjoying a lot pictures but I like my favorites ones to be larger so they really stand out!

For years almost everything I print out is 4 x 6 - now I am printing a lot of larger photos!

Also, I have incorporated photo sleeves in my scrapbooks. If there are a lot of pictures of one event or one place I scrap a large picture on the left and then insert a photo sleeve for 6 more on the front and 6 more on the back.

Opposite the back side of the sleeve I sometimes scrap another 8 x 10 or a couple 5 x 7's so the photo sleeves are in-between the actual scrapped pages.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to Henri Jean

I love this topic! I was just thinking about it. The changes i see in my work are: tighter mats, inked edges, layers and taking a risk with new styles. When i first started scrapbooking, i would work on a white page. Now i always "wallpaper".

Ally24 
New Kid On the Block

Well my earliest scrapbooking was from when I was about 8years old and I would scrapbook pictures of my toy babies. I also once scrapbooked a birth certificate from one of those toy dogs! I was a bit crazy! But some of my actual scrapbook pages from when I actually revisited it after a couple of years I have noticed that I tended to use a lot more stickers then I do know, probably cause I never really used the fancy paper that I use now so I tried to compensate with stickers!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Ally24

I used to use more stickers. Now I rarely use just a sticker for an embellishment. I make more of my own embellies, use stamps, or if I use a sticker, I am layering it with something else.

My paper choices are differnt, that one is probably obvious.

I have recenly started using the photo pocket pages which is fun too! I am not sure that I would got that way 100% but it is a quicker fun way to scrap! I am all about trying new things!!

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to binkiemonstermom

Henri, I like the bigger pictures too... My favorite layout I have done is a 8 x 10 picture of Amanda when she was 2 in a little dress sitting around pumpkins.

My change is that I do more with pattern paper and using more then one pattern on a layout.

I have always used stickers. but I think I use them differently now. I either layer them or add something to enhance them.

I also use more bling. It all depends on the layout but I used to have really simple layouts now I fill the page.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to dorichatelain

I like big photos too!

Also since I first started I use a lot of inking, punches, stamping, embossing and die cutting that I've been inspired to do via this site that I didn't know I would love to do. And I never shop for stickers now.

I do both clean and simple 2 dimentional and heavier embellished LOs.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to CrimsonMama

I used to use so many stickers and now I use better embellishments. If I use a die cut I ink the edges, that is a new one for me! When I have many pictures of the same event I make plain pages (sorta like Henri). Another way I add more pictures to a page is with collage prints.

I started with Creative Memories so my older layouts have that look. Over time I have learned more techniques, bought more toys and had more fun!.... Now I have scrapbook.com .... yea!!

Expert
In response to wilbur

I don't put as many pictures on the page. I seem to have negative space now..not much..but more than I did before.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to wilbur

Ever since i joined sb.com i have grown so much and am trying new things. I too rarely buy stickers. And i sm learning to combine them with othet embellies.

SuzMannecke
Resident
SuzMannecke
In response to bonprof

So much has changed since I first began scrapbooking, including the tools. I would have to say that using my Cameo has been a huge change to my scrapbooking. Lately I scrapbook mostly instagram pics for PL, but occasionally I like to enlarge photos for my traditional layouts. I recently have been dabbling in mixed media to add dimension to my layouts as well-creating with gelatos, gesso, watercolors, gel medium, and glaze.
Great thread!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

well, I really started as a child. back in the day scrapbooks had those manilla or black. We didn't put photos...just cards I received, school grade cards, memorabilia, stuff from trips like postcards & placemats etc.
When I started again in 97... I covered my white pages with color, used those cute stickers, memorabilia, die cuts & pens. Over the years I have learned lots of things to make, I have found amazing stuff to buy. I use anything now. I still adore it just as much as I did as a child & in 97.

Vivian Lake
Guru
Vivian Lake
In response to anda11

My earliest scrapbooks everything is STAPLED to kraft paper. Scrapbook stores were non-existant then. As I found paper and tools, those pages were "loud". The entire page would be covered and yes, lots of stickers then too. Now my pages nearly all have negative space. I tend to find that one picture and have it tell the story instead of a bunch of photos. I have always been a "clean" scrapper, but I do love layering items!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Vivian Lake

I've always done matting, but I do it much more often, and usually much narrower, 1/8" or less. I've also only really started inking edges in the past year or so.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to aquabunny

Using more than just 2 different papers on a layout, more flowers, and am making more mini-albums now as well.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to mrsrogers52513

Oh I don't know where to start! Inking, stamping, glimmer mist when I started it was letter stickers and poster paper. Now it's lots of layers and all of the above.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to Sneezy1956

Now less white pages, more color. Matting photos more. Now less empty space. More embellishments than 2D stickers. (Does it still count as a sticker if it's the 3D ones? They just look so much nicer...)

ScrappinTraveler
Expert
ScrappinTraveler
In response to scrapchica

I've always used a lot of patterns and colors but I notice now that I use a lot more of the "art" stuff, paints, embossing, molding paste than I used before. . .

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to ScrappinTraveler

I've also been using a lot more inks, Stickles, etc.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsrogers52513

Stickles! I forget I have them. I bought several bottles about 5 years and never opened them, need to open them and try them! Especially that I have baby granddaughter things to scrap.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

My scrapbooking style has changed even though I have only been scrapping for a few years.

My main difference is that I like to put lots and LOTS of photos in my 2 page layouts so to me the best thing I started doing was printing in different sizes. I print some 4x6 and some 3x4 and then some 1x2.......I love the variety of sizes. I love not having to do 3 layouts to use all my photos. I have even made a page that had 21 photos. Love it.

So Henri, I guess I am opposite of you on that one.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics