Username Post: Just Us        (Topic#1589415)
bonprof
Idol
bonprof

Does it ever occur to you that the average person looking at our scrapbooks is not really going to appreciate all the work and little details we put into our pages? My family and peers say they focus on the photos. That's why it's great to share with all of you on sb.com!!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to bonprof

So true!

I'm lucky to have a mother-in-law that scraps so she appreciates the work and techniques I use. My brother is a art enthusiast so he likes it too.My husband is the photographer so he likes it also. But I would not have learned as much fun techniques and design ideas except for SB.COM.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to CrimsonMama

I agree there's not a lot of interest from most of my family and friends and that's ok. I figure while I'm alive I won't push my scrapbooks on them but I plan on forcing a scrapbook on every single one of them when I'm gone. muuuuuaaaaaa!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to olleharr

My mother thinks scrapbooking is a waste of time - says I need to make a blouse instead. I don't sew - I can't thread a needle and I don't want to sew. And I have more blouses than I can wear in a lifetime!

She doesn't get it at all. No one in my family does although my kids like it. They enjoy the pictures and read every word of the journaling. My oldest especially loves the journaling and stories.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to Henri Jean

I have to agree that my scrapbooks will far more valuable after im gone.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to bonprof

I must be lucky because my dh has always loved my pages. I started when my kids were in high school.
My son always loves the pages I make. He would bring his friend home to show them. he still loves them at age 29 & knows he will be getting them when I die. My daughter scraps too. She always loves the pages I make. She knows she is going to get them when I die & she is 32.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
Does it ever occur to you that the average person looking at our scrapbooks is not really going to appreciate all the work and little details we put into our pages? My family and peers say they focus on the photos. That's why it's great to share with all of you on sb.com!!

Yes. That's why my pages focus on the photos. I don't make those beautiful, detailed pages where you have to hunt for the photo in amongst all the other stuff on the page.

We scrap-bookers love those kinds of pages to look at, because we love to look at embellishments and think "wow I need that!" but they drive the non-scrap-booker crazy. That's just my experience, and the opinion of my family.

Shame, isn't it? Maybe we should make plain albums for the family history, and pour our fancy creativity into indulgent BOMs. Maybe. I'm not going to though!

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to RedSquirrel

my hole family like my scrapbook stuff and my cards I make

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to southern lady

My husband does love to look at my pages but if there is any white space or negative space he tells me, "Honey, you didn't finish this one - you can get another picture or two right here!"

He seems to think the goal is to slam as many pictures on there as I can. Sometimes I fill the page with pictures and sometimes I want some of the pretty background paper to show through!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

That is too funny Henri

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to anda11

The people who are important to me don't like scrapbooking and don't see why I "waste time on it," considering I don't have kids to leave them to. But they're starting to appreciate and keep my cards! A step in the right direction!

I scrap my cats, and that's for me. I'm about to lose one of my two cats very soon, and it's good to look back through her pages and remember those good times. What happens to the scrapbooks after I'm gone doesn't really concern me any longer - it used to, though. Even if I was scrapping family history, they wouldn't be kept. I'm just glad I won't be here (hopefully) to see them trashed. It would KILL me to have to go into a nursing home or something and not be able to have my scrapbooks with me. That's why I've got them loaded on my computer and on sb.com - if I can't take a laptop with me, I'm not going to go!!

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to southern lady

Don't get me wrong! My family loves my work, but they of course don't really care if the pages are inked or if there are clusters of 3 or 5 embellies....etc!! Only the true scrapy knows about what we put into the pages.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

Very well said bonprof.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

Very true. Usually when I make scrapbooks for other people, I keep them pretty basic. Titles, mat the photos, and a few embellishments. When I make things that I want to keep for myself, I get more creative and fun!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics