Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Do you do theme books for holidays or just put them in family albums?        (Topic#1589441)
CupcakeTwins
Tenant
CupcakeTwins

Hello everyone! I have a question about albums. I am so stuck with indecision on how to do my books now that I have kids (3 of them now! ages 3, 3, and 2). I was thinking about taking the holiday photos and making theme books (that I could add to every year, and then take out/display only at that holiday time). So like a Halloween book that I continue to add trick or treat photos to, etc, and then pack it up with the Halloween decor basically. Then there would be nothing but portraits and group shots practically in the family albums, so it may get kinda boring? What do you do? Stick holiday photos right in the family album? I don't do P365, I just can't get on board with that (yet, at least). Thanks!

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to CupcakeTwins

I have been struggling with this a bit too. I have albums for each of my kids. So, do I put Christmas photos in there or in special Christmas albums. So far, I have been putting them in the kids albums, highlighting each of the kids in their own album. I think I am going to do a Christmas album with our annual cards, maybe a few we recieved from others, and some family photos. I definitely put Halloween in their own albums.

That said, I love the idea of an album you could bring out each year for the holiday.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Frau_Cooney

I put everything together chronologically.

That said - I want to somehow scan each layout (almost 2,000 of them I think - YIKES) as soon as I can figure out how to stitch or find a scanner which will do 12 x 12.

Then I want to send it to Snapfish or Shutterbug and have one made of each of my kids, one for each holiday, one for my husband when we were dating and married, ones for special vacations and cruises. We go to Hawaii at least once a year - sometimes twice so I want a book of Hawaii layouts.

In fact if I do that I will take my very favorite layouts out of my scrapbooks and frame them! I would love to do that!

I love the idea of special books for each holiday.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin

I am really not the person to ask, because I am a bit insane. lol

I have three children. Each has there own chronological book. Pretty much one for every year. I read about different types of scrapbooking and decided to make those albums as well. So, I have a "people we love", "places we go", "things we do", "book of me", and vacation albums.

It is a bit insane to be honest, but I have found that I can fit just about every page I make into one of the categories.

Check out Stacy Julian's photo freedom. If I could bare to part with each of the children's individual books, this is totally the way I would go.

Expert
In response to Nancy Keslin

I always do a separate Christmas album because it usually needs one all on it's own--my parents are divorced so we have 3 family gatherings we attend, plus our day at home for presents, plus all of the extra Christmasy stuff the rest of December. Every other holiday goes in the regular family album because there are way fewer LOs for those holidays. I have 2-3 family albums per year, plus each of my two boys has their own separate album (those used to be two big ones each year, but now it's just over 1 per year--I just start a new one when needed as opposed to starting and stopping at specific times.)

The idea of a separate holiday book sounds interesting, but I agree that the rest of the family book might look a little boring...although we do so much during the summer that it wouldn't be an issue for me!!! But for me I like having all of it together (except for Cmas).

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to HuskerMom98

I do everything in one book for each year.

CupcakeTwins
Tenant
CupcakeTwins
In response to mrsrogers52513

Thanks everyone!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

For me, making the regular albums a non-holiday book wouldn't make them boring in the least - that's all they are anyway, I don't really scrap the holidays, and I do tons of scrappable stuff the rest of the year.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to aquabunny

I have two sons and they each have their own set of scrapbooks. For their first 8 years I did a separate album for Christmas and then transitioned to putting the Christmas pages in their "regular" scrapbooks. I do separate albums for each of them for big vacations. Everything else is scrapped as close to chronologically as I can. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! As long as you are capturing the memories you can't go wrong!!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Vintageivy

I have a separate Christmas album and a separate Halloween album.....
I like to see the changes throughout the years, which you don't notice if the layouts are filed chronologically in another person's album....
Also, for Christmas for instance....I do layouts of my son opening presents, the day at my sisters etc...but I also do layouts about favourite recipes, traditions, building the gingerbread house, making cookies, decorations etc....

I don't think my son's regular album (or family album) is boring BTW.....I scrap stories....my son loves to hear the stories about his earlier years! I do pages about how he loves to wear hats, the funny things he's said, the funny words he used when he was learning to talk, a retrospective of our trips to the zoo, his favourite toys as a young kid, how technology has changed since I was a kid etc....
That album, IMO, is far from boring....

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to kiyawinn

With 3 kids ages 3, 3 and 2, I would be taking any shortcut possible!!

I love using D-ring albums with top-loading page protectors. I work on layouts willy-nilly and then place them in an album. Every now and then I sit down and rearrange in-progress albums so that they are grouped together more properly (all one kid, all holidays, all vacations, etc.). It's very easy to do with the top-loading page protectors.

Edited by Luvmyfam on 07-15-13 07:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

I have only theme albums.. Each season has the holidays & pics that go in that season. an album for ea season. Ea kid has their own albums, I have a sports album for all sports...kids littleleague through high school sports..when they go play something like golf. I have an album about dh & I..dating, wedding, anniversarys, dats etc.. I have one..dh has one..one called daycations...it is places we go visit that are not a vacation. zoo trips, fairs, anusement parks, museums. we have vacation albums too one for Disney. many heritage ones, school albums too

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to anda11

I have a Halloween and a Christmas album that I put out every year with the holiday decorations. I continue to add new pages and I decorated the covers. Everyone seems to love thumbing through them. They are full of holiday spirit, traditions and memories. I'm thinking of doing up an Easter one too. The kids can just fight over them when I'm gone.

ScrappinTraveler
Expert
ScrappinTraveler
In response to olleharr

Well. . . I started doing everything chronologically in one book with holidays included . . .but. . . I have two children (now grown) and one grandchild. And I started looking at the "books" and thought "oh crud". . . how do I split up the books? I mean, someday one of my kids will get all the photos and the other won't get any of theirs. So (since I started with Creative Memories years and years ago when I didn't have much money to spend on scrapping and I have duplicates of all the photos anyway), I decided to split them all and re-do the pages so each kid & grandchild has their own book. More work (but I LOVE that work!).

On another note, because I wanted to have a "Christmas Album". . . I did a themed Christmas tree ornament album of photos of ornaments I love (so far for one of my 3 trees) that I set out each Christmas for the holiday spirit. And with that I get the knowledge that if I ever break one I still have a picture of it! :-)

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to ScrappinTraveler

• ScrappinTraveler Said:

On another note, because I wanted to have a "Christmas Album". . . I did a themed Christmas tree ornament album of photos of ornaments I love (so far for one of my 3 trees) that I set out each Christmas for the holiday spirit. And with that I get the knowledge that if I ever break one I still have a picture of it! :-)

I LOVE this idea! I adore my ornaments and have stories about many of them. I will definitely take pictures of them this year and add to the Christmas album. Each year we get a new ornament each and I can feature them annually.

ScrappinTraveler
Expert
ScrappinTraveler

• Frau_Cooney Said:
  • ScrappinTraveler Said:

I LOVE this idea! I adore my ornaments and have stories about many of them. I will definitely take pictures of them this year and add to the Christmas album. Each year we get a new ornament each and I can feature them annually.

I am a Christmas fanatic so when I travel I always try and pick up an ornament from a favorite place - so it's fun to look through the book and remember where they came from :-)

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

I do themed albums, but I also like chronological. I always make sure I have a digi copy of every picture that I use in an album, so I just make duplicate pics for other albums.

For things like Christmas, there are enough pictures that I don't have to duplicate...some go in themed albums, some in chronological album, but for themes w/o so many pictures, I just re-print the picture and use it. Nobody is going to look at all the albums at one time and say, "Wait, I just saw this picture." Sometimes I even use the same LO, but the albums all look completely different.

I also take a picture of each LO and make digi albums for security, for on-screen viewing, and for sharing with others.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mrsdriver5

I've done a Christmas ornament album as well, but I don't bring it out only at Christmas, it's on the downstairs shelf with most of my other finished albums. It also contains other types of Christmas decorations, like a natIvity set and a Christmas countdown album. I'll be adding at least one page to it this year.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to aquabunny

A Christmas ornament album is a great idea!

3LittleLadies
Resident
3LittleLadies
In response to mrsrogers52513

I have a chronological holiday album for each of my three dd's. Maybe some day I'll break it up by individual holidays.

On a side note, putting a holiday album together made me realize that I was rarely taking photos at Thanksgiving. Also, there were a lot of photos of my dd's opening presents at Christmas, but not a lot of photos of other family members. After noticing this I made more of an effort to take photos at Thanksgiving, and more of family members at Christmas. In twenty years they wont care what presents they got, but I bet they'll cherish the photos of themselves with other family members.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics