Username Post: Unused Closet        (Topic#1589479)
flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

I have an unused closet in my scrapbooking room. It has 2 sliding doors, with a basic rod inside. Above this are 2 large door that open with 3 shelves inside that go to the ceiling. I'm wanting to use the lower part of this closet where the sliding doors are) for scrapbooking storage. Do I have shelves put in (the length of the closet) Or, do I put in existing vertical paper storage unit that stands in front of these doors? It's very dark in the closet, so I'll paint the interior walls either white, or yellow to match my room. I'm just not sure how best to utilize this space. (I wish I could figure out how to loan pics onto topics:)

nanalovesyou
Idol
nanalovesyou
In response to flwrgrl

Lucky you to have some unused space, just calling your name!
I don't have any specific instructions for you only that in going over lots of other people's rooms I have run across some that have their closest all with shelves, drawers, etc!
One piece of advice is to take your time, do your researching, measuring, and take more time. Chances are you are going to want to buy one of everything, right?
Myself, I would rather spend any extra money I may have on supplies, not on storage. That is me.
Have fun! nana

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to nanalovesyou

The way I see it, you have a choice of either to add a light inside the closet, or to take the doors off so that you can see and display everything. Then your paper racks could actually go inside rather than in front, and you gain floor space.

DH got some fantastic battery-operated LED lights that are magnetic on the backs, and can be set to come on automatically when they detect movement, if the light is below a certain level. They go out after 5, 15 or 30 seconds. I have one in the en-suite for night-time pennies (doesn't disturb the other sleeper), one in the hall and one in the airing cupboard.

(You can only embed pics into topics if they are already uploaded, either to Flickr, PhotoBucket or similar, or into your Gallery.)

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to RedSquirrel

I'm sorry, I don't understand the language in which you're speaking. Could you perhaps find a translator to help me with the term "unused closet"?
LOL! Every inch of my entire house is crammed to bursting, including my scraproom, so I don't know how to help you with this. But in my scraproom, I had shelves built into almost the entire closet, knowing we wouldn't ever need a traditional closet. Too bad for whoever owns the house after us, lol! I have pics of my scrap closet in my gallery, if you'd like to take a look.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to chocolateaxel

OMGosh, literally laughed out loud at your comment! THANKS, I really needed that! I went & looked at your closet-WOW!!! Am I impressed!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to RedSquirrel

Yes, I will for sure need to add light of some kind, thanks for tip, I hadn't thought of stick up kind but that would be perfect!

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to flwrgrl

LOL! Glad I could make you laugh, laughter is very healthy!
Don't be too impressed with my closet, I've had 7 years to get it looking that way. It has gone from drab to a hot mess to semi organized to omg I can't find anything to what you see now. But I think that's the key to organization, what works perfectly for one may not work so well for another. So you take a bit from this idea, and a bit from that idea, etc, and you evolve it to the perfect fit for you. But one thing I agree is a must no matter your style, good lighting! No point in having everything organized if you can't see to find it, lol!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to chocolateaxel

I removed the rod shelf in my closet and put in the closet maid cubes from bottom to top. There are pictures in my gallery if it helps. I have debated about taking the sliding doors off and putting a long curtain, like a shower curtain, across so I can see it all together, but DH isn't too happy with the idea.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to scrapchica

I turned the unused closet in our family room into an actually scrap space: built-in table to hold my PC and to scrao on and shelfs to hold my printer and all my scrappy supplies. I have lots of shelfs and space and great lighting.
I love it!!!!
Too bad I don't have pics of it to share w/ you...

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

I checked out your pics & your closet looks awesome!!! Great job!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to flwrgrl

Thanks! I'm in love with it.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

I'd take the doors off and put shelving in.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to mrsrogers52513

cute comment chocolate!!! I have to say I love nanas comment b/c I wanted a curving (corner thing) table for my crafts instead I just bought a white folding 6 ft long table and yes it is plenty of space but sometimes i regret buying it b/c it is not exactly what i wanted!!!
also, I also have an big walk in closet in my craft room, but we have a ton of boxes in it and the water heater is at the back. I store my books, christmas stuff, and kids art supplies there. flwergirl makes me wonder what more I could do with the space??? shelves maybey? However i agree that supplies are more important that that closet to me!!!!

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to mindygail

I took the doors off of my closet... and it was an empty canvas. You can go check out photo in my gallery. Good luck... but most of all have fun.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to mindygail

I did buy a curved corner craft table & I'm in LOVE with it! So glad I went ahead & got what I wanted! I did wait til it went on sale. The curve gives me more work space on top, it cleans up beautifully & I love that it has a file drawer. You can see what it looks like on my gallery under scraproom. Let me know what you think...

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to flwrgrl

Love it!

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to mrsrogers52513

I also took the doors off and have some sheer white floor length curtains to hide the closet if I need to. I put in a shelf to the size that I could work at it standing up and I keep all my inks, sprays and other mixed media in there to work with away from my desk. Below I put in some book cases for storage and above I have the original shelf also for storage. It was close enough to an outlet that I was able to put an Ott Lite on the shelf I work from.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to flwrgrl

I put a 2 foot tall wire shelf in one side of my closet and then I put plastic crates on it. I stacked plastic crates on the other side to make shelves. I now have floor to ceiling shelves. Most of my supplies are stored in there. The bigger containers that didn't fit in the crates I stacked under the tables. under where the printers are so that they don't get in the way of people sitting. I also put a stack between the legs where the tables come together.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics