Username Post: how to embellish?        (Topic#1589571)
mindygail
Expert
mindygail

I have been scrapping since 2000. I latley will put the pictures on my pretty patterned paper, then I get ... STUCK! what next??? I have stickers, chipboard letters, prima flowers but I dont feel like getting detailed with them. Does that make any sense at all???
I just quit. How do I manage to continue??
suggestions plz!!!

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to mindygail

This is why I find the gallery here so helpful. I look through the gallery and find a layout that has a look that I really like, then I look at the details/elements of the lo and figure out how they did that.

Maybe just try one element. Start off very clean and simple with your lo. Use the chipboard letters to put the date or a name or a simple title. Or, just add a single flower to one corner of one pic.

A lo with "just" pics and lovely papers can be very lovely by itself and, if YOU like that look, then your page is done and beautiful!

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to mindygail

I suggest you look here in the gallery for many, many fine examples of how to embellish, but of course, you need to find your own "style". In general, use odd numbers when laying down embellishments. The eye is drawn to 3 flowers of various sizes and textures or 5 or 9...depending on the effect you are shooting for. To embellish is to add to what story your pictures are already telling. If you like really fancy pages, you'll use more and if you like the clean and simple page, then just a few in the corner will do. What do you like? Try a few and see how you like it. But don't quit!! You can do it!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to bonprof

I like medium amount of embellies.
Thanks for the tips! I love the heavy embellies done on pages latley with lots of flowers and templates so unique!!!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to mindygail

I find it's hard to get "everything" onto one layout. What I mean is I like to use lots of patterned paper (layering), lots of embellishments, lots of pictures (or at least have bigger pictures), etc. However, I recently realized that it's just "too much" to do it all without having it look too cluttered. Just my opinion - not trying to start a debate or anything. I've noticed that on some heavily embellished (and very pretty) pages, the artist will use just a single very small picture and their patterned papers are more subtle.

I think it's best to decide what's most important to you and find examples of those. For me, I like to use all of my pretty patterned papers and have multiple larger pictures. So I have to really limit my embellishments. However on pages where I like to use lots of embellishments, I tend to choose more subtle patterned papers (or even plain cardstock) to make the embellishments really stand out. Sorry for rambling, hopefully that was a little helpful.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Mama2Thomas

Personally I love challenges for getting my mojo going.

Mindy, why don't you upload some of your pages to the Gallery, then we can recommend some challenges that might be your style?

ETA: Oh, and my embellishments have to be relevant to the photos or the story. I don't like random birdcages with beach photos (for example) just because they're on trend at the moment. So my birthday photos might have balloons, wrapped gifts, bows, cakes, candles as embellishments. DH's birthday was all about the Despicable Me 2 Minions so I'll need to work out how to make Minions LOL.

Edited by RedSquirrel on 07-23-13 02:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to RedSquirrel

I agree with participating in a challenge, that might help you! I also like to view the gallery and reference back to layouts that really caught my eye and try to do the same effect.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to bonprof

I would just start with one layout that you find in the gallery that you want to lift. Then it is easy to just copy what they did. They put 3 flowers here... or no flowers at all.. Pick one page to start withe that you love & want to do. It is easy to see how they did it.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to anda11

Make a banner out of your patterned papers and adhere it to the corner of your layout with some twine....
Add a frame around your picture and put a flower or button on a bottom corner of the frame....
Alternatively, add an appropriate word with your chipboard letters to the frame....
If you scrap for children, you can use your chipboard alphas to make ABC or 123 on a page...
Add shapes underneath your pictures/photo mats but poking out a little....sun, tree, star, flower, tickets, themed bingo cards etc....

And I agree with pp....check out the gallery for lots of inspiration! Have fun with it!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to kiyawinn

Great ideas!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to mrsrogers52513

good point mama2thomas!!
and btw red squirrel I would simply LOVE to upload my pages to this site but I currently have no internet access and thecomputer i am on belongs to my apt offices!!!
But, your right when I can I will.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mindygail

Agree that I like my embellishments to go with the theme of the page.

Great idea to lift ideas from the gallery but it is always nice to mention them and the layout when you post it. Most of the artists here consider it very flattering when their layouts are "borrowed" but they also love getting credit for doing the original or being the inspiration.

There are a few artists who will even get a little bent out of shape if they aren't credited so everything in the gallery can be lifted, but please be nice and mention the original artist.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Henri Jean

Very true. I keep a book that has all my inspiration ideas in it, and I always try to write down the username or name of the person if I can, so I can reference them later.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to mrsrogers52513

Mindy you can still upload from your smart phone. Just use Resize or a similar app to make the photo small enough first.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

hey Kaili

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to mindygail

great idea red squirrel but I dont have internet on my phone SUCKS!!!

kaili 
New Kid On the Block
  • kaili on 07-26-13 02:07 PM

hi mommy

kaili 
New Kid On the Block
  • kaili on 07-26-13 02:11 PM
In response to kaili

help me

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics