Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Vacation        (Topic#1589593)
flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

Have any of you packed scrapping to do while away? We are leaving next week for 8-days to a very quiet, beautiful out-of-state spot, & I don't think I can go 8 days without doing scrapping of some kind. And, I KNOW when we get up there I'm going to be kicking myself. I thought maybe take a couple of page planners that are ready to be worked on, glue, scissors etc. Just the necessities. I don't want to take my big crop case. (My hubby would probably have a fit & tell me I'm obsessed, which I think I am, but that doesn't mean I want to hear it!) Have any of you taken stuff to work on when you go away?

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to flwrgrl

I would put together some page kits and kind of have something in your head about what you wanna do and bring the basic tools that you would need. You can always add the details later. Its just nice to bring in case the weather is icky or your hubby is napping or something!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 07-24-13 09:21 AM
In response to mrsrogers52513

Yep! Every year a group of my buddies I met here and I get together (we round robin to each other's homes).

Most years I end up flying so packing gets trickier - for some reason TSA doesn't get that the most danger anyone is in with my scissors is getting cut out of pictures.

One thing I have found is that I try to keep a color/topic theme going so that whatever papers and embellies I might want can be used on any of the los.
This year I packed a super size Artbin with pps, embellies etc for los for album I was making for ds and dil of their time in HI. That and a tool kit did the trick.

I would love to have one of the bins with the lift out tray - that's next on my wish list.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to GMFTS

I have never taken scrapbooks supplies on a trip unless it was a trip FOR scrappin'!!! But, why not!!!

I think it would be totally fun to scrap in a smash book as my trip took place. I would need my printer and book, and just basic supplies!!! It would be more journaling with a few pictures thrown in or I could even leave the printer at home and just use a photo mat to take the place while I scrapped the day. We take a big trip to Vegas every three years, and we drive. This would be an awesome way to journal the trip!!!!! You have inspired me!!!!

Edited by binkiemonstermom on 07-24-13 09:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-24-13 09:45 AM
In response to binkiemonstermom

Since I can never take "just a few basics" and be happy, I don't even bother. Instead I take my laptop and/or ipad and edit pictures so I can get them printed as soon as I get home. I plan LO's, work on journalling pages, and do digi-scrapping. And if there's internet access I generally do some browsing and shopping for supplies for all the new pics and ideas I've got

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

Well...good, I'm glad!! For years I have journaled in a book specifically for trips. It's such to read back over the page from years & even decades ago. Glad I inspired you

nanof8 
Resident
In response to flwrgrl

I haven't taken anything to scrap while on holiday. I have drawn sketches and planned what I can do with photos taken while on holiday. I do take my knitting as its easier to pack and hubby would have a fit if I wanted to scrap as holidaying is about getting out there into the fresh air and lots of long walks.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to nanof8

I'm much like Kara (Stick). I take my laptop and put my pictures on the computer and put the file name on each one (date - country or place, etc) so I can find them easily and put them in the file on my computer for that vacation. Then I back it up on a thumb drive every day in case my computer crashes or gets lost.

Since its easy for me to have 800 or 900 photos at the end of each day (my husband and I each carry a camera), it helps a lot if I delete bad photos, ones that are almost duplicates and ones I know I'm not going to use because they are horrible.

I also adjust the color on my pictures and crop or whatever is necessary. If I knew how to do digital pages I would do that too but I don't. I think it is a great idea though (and Kara's digital pages are gorgeous).

I have taken my gypsy and made titles while on vacation but I don't do that anymore.

I have a file on my laptop - on the desktop actually called, "Trip Journal" and every day I write the day, date and write what happened that day. I include everything down to restaurants and what we ordered and what happened that day that was funny.

Then when I scrap the page it only takes a minute to edit out what I don't want but I don't think it would be possible to recreate the info. Even on cruise ships I work on my pictures every night and get my journaling done for the day. Most of that I do while my husband is in the shower.

I have a carry-on that is a tote bag and big enough to take a 12 x 12 artbin and I put souvenirs and keepsakes in there as well as any scrapbook paper I pick up on the road.

I have a tube thing to put larger things that roll up - like the site maps from the San Diego zoo or cool placemats from restaurants which are larger than 12 x 12.

One from the post office will work nicely but I have one I got in Egypt which had a piece of papyrus in it. When we went to Mexico the first time and I wanted a placemat from Forrest Gumps I got a paper towel roll and put the rolled up placemat in that. It also stays in my tote.

I don't mind putting scrap supplies in my suitcases - they are replaceable. However, I will not put finished pages or souvenirs and cruise ship photos and things I want to scrap in my suitcase. It stays in the artbin in my tote at all times. I've known too many people who have had lost or stolen luggage!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Henri Jean

I recently got an 12x12x3 IRIS case thing from HL to carry just enough stuff to amke a few pages while I at work, and took it camping both times this summer. Holds embellies, paper, pics, stamps, punches and my ATG fits in there too. Only thing I had to pack seperately was my trimmer.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to ScrappyMama6

I also always do a travel journal and just write what we did each day, where we ate, etc. But only use that to reference back to since I don't usually scrap it right away.

married05
Idol
married05

• binkiemonstermom Said:
I have never taken scrapbooks supplies on a trip unless it was a trip FOR scrappin'!!! But, why not!!!

I think it would be totally fun to scrap in a smash book as my trip took place. I would need my printer and book, and just basic supplies!!! It would be more journaling with a few pictures thrown in or I could even leave the printer at home and just use a photo mat to take the place while I scrapped the day. We take a big trip to Vegas every three years, and we drive. This would be an awesome way to journal the trip!!!!! You have inspired me!!!!

I'm doing this right now! I packed a Smash Book and a few basic supplies, and am using my mom's photo printer (she lives out of state.) I've printed pictures from a few days already, and have some notes from each day when I have more time.

I wish I'd thought of a Smash book type of thing before. In the past I've always just kept a journal and taken tons of pictures to sort through later. I have so many albums of past trips I want to do but just don't ever have the time. (That and I have newer projects I want to complete first.)

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to married05

I have that problem too. I look back at the pictures and think "now what the heck was that??" If I would have kept better notes, it would be a lot easier to scrap now. But I always just do other stuff because I don't have the motivation to do it because it seems like so much work to sort through 400 pictures.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P

Not me. I rarely get to go on vacations so I want to enjoy every minute of it doing what I can only do in that place and time. I can scrapbook at home and still get excited reliving the vacation when I pull out the pictures and start on my layouts.
I do, however, keep an eye out for the little things that would go perfect on the layouts when I get home.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Trina_P

I also enjoy scrapbook shopping on vacation

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper

I always take something to work on--

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to terrihooper

When we went to New Zealand, I took a smash book and wrote in it along the trip, stuck in receipts in pockets, brochures etc...It was invaluable when I got home and wanted to do an actual vacation album. I had all the info there, dates, people, funny stories etc...

Last year when we went to a cottage for a week, I took a couple of boxes of supplies, thinking that I would sit and do some scrapping in the evenings or if it was raining.....never happened, LOL! I never did anything and lugging all those supplies turned out to be a total waste!

If you take anything, I would suggest an iris container with a few layouts/supplies in it...don't take too much because you probably won't end up scrapping as much as you think you will! Especially, if there are other events planned....

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to kiyawinn

I just concentrate on the photos TO BE Scrapped when I am on a trip. I'm always thinking about scrapping when I am taking photos. I have a fairly new camera Nikon camera and it's a big upgrade from my point and shoot. I'm still learning how to use it. We travel a lot on a motorcycle so actually scrapping is not possible.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to CrimsonMama

For my disney trip I have plans to write up a daily blog post so that I can keep track of whats goign on I'll take my pictures and try to post them with the blog posts so that i can get home and scrap my trip. The blog posts should be able to be copies and posted into journaling with little to no trouble. And I can pull the photos easily this way also.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Sneezy1956

I just say bring the stuff. If you don't, you know what will happen...you will regret not bringing it!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

Thanks guys for ALL your input. I really appreciate it

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics