Username Post: Markers        (Topic#1589631)
4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans

I want to start making cards. I've always done layouts but want a change.

I remember seeing demos on Copic Markers at Scrapfest years ago, so looked them up on youtube today.

I understand that you need alcohol based markers to blend. Are there other good brands that aren't so expensive ??

Anything special I need to know about markers in general ? I have plain scrapbooking ones I use.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to 4tgrfans

I took a Copic Class at ScrapFest a few years back and really liked it, but was more into just scrapping then. I'd also like to get more into coloring. I'll have to look on my YouTube Channel, but there were 2 people that recommended other markers that weren't as expensive....I'll have to find it and post the brands.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to mrsrogers52513

Thanks !

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to 4tgrfans

Last week, AC Moore had the Spectrum Noir ones on sale for $8 a set. I've heard good things about them. I've got a ton of copics, though, so I haven't tried them myself.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to siameseplease

Love my Copics! I believe Spectrum Noir are similar and they are cheaper. I second the YouTube tutorials to learn how to use them. Welcome to the addiction!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Spectrum Noir are very nice markers I use copics and love to play with them. If you would like to see what I do I have a lot of copic coloring. If you need any help just ask.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to Sneezy1956

Thank you so much !

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to 4tgrfans

Yes, Spectrum Noir was one that one of the ladies I watch really recommended. I saw them at Jo-Anns last week and was going to pick some up, but ended up getting a paper pad I fell in love with and some other stuff I needed more. I think my next trip I will get some

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

I appreciated this thread because I had the same thought too and wanted to take a class. My concern is, how long does it take for a card-size stamp to color it? Seems like my LOs are already an hour per page, and I worry about adding another hour.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to scrapchica

I can color an image in 30 minutes most of the time maybe a little more if I'm doing a lot of pleats or working on something special. I love to color sit and do it most nights even if I'm not going to turn it into a card right away.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Sneezy1956

In the Copic class I took a few years back, I colored a pretty good sized reindeer in about a half hour, but it wasn't very detailed or anything.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Less than half an hour for me. I can dash off a 4"x2" image fairly quickly - 10, 15 minutes? It gets quicker with practise, definitely.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I bid on some copic sets on e*** but went higher than I wanted to pay. I also found some great bundles on the Spectrum. I ordered the "Gotta Have it all" bundle. :P It'll be here tomorrow.

I watched a lot of youtube videos comparing the two. No doubt, I think the copics are probably better.....nice feathering tip, embossed/stamped numbers, etc but for what I do, I think the spectrum will be fine.

I got 12 6-packs of the base colors. (reds, yellows, blues, turquoises, browns, grays, etc), 2 zipper pouches to hold them (probably just to take them places), replacement nibs, and an instructional DVD.

Thanks everyone for your input !! I appreciate your responses !

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics