Username Post: Cuttlebug or Big Shot        (Topic#1589661)
tammie1983
New Kid On the Block
tammie1983

I'm sure this has been asked a million times before... I currently have a Spellbinders Grand Calibur (bought hastily after a Create & Craft TV slot) but have realised it doesn't take all dies (it has so far taken Crafty Ann dies which are flat metal) and sort of taken some thin Sizzix dies with the raspberry plate.

But, I've decided to get either a Cuttlebug or a Big Shot. I've been researching online these two machines and it seems they both take pretty much every die out there.

Now my questions are:
1 - Which do YOU prefer?
2 - Are there any brands or particular dies they won't take, or is that list so small it's not worth listing?
3 - Do the Cricut Cuttlebug embossing folders work in the Big Shot?
4 - Will it take all the Spellbinders dies?

I have a Cricut Mini, which I bought about a month ago so haven't used much but Cricut as a brand just appeals to me, I love them. I'm wanting an electronic machine of their's but waiting to see if a new one is coming out first.

I want to do die cutting / embossing in my scrapbooking (when I start) and also card making and anything Cricut project wise.

So anyway back to the point - Cuttlebug or Big Shot?

Thank you all in advance for replies

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to tammie1983

• tammie1983 Said:

Now my questions are:
1 - Which do YOU prefer?
2 - Are there any brands or particular dies they won't take, or is that list so small it's not worth listing?
3 - Do the Cricut Cuttlebug embossing folders work in the Big Shot?
4 - Will it take all the Spellbinders dies?

1) I haven't used the Cuttlebug, but I LOVE my Big Shot.
2) See my answer to #4 below, but also, there may be some very large dies meant for the Big Shot Pro that won't fit the Cuttlebug or Big Shot, but they're rather expensive and make up a very small minority of available dies.
3) Yep, I have a Cuttlebug embossing folder (swiss dots pattern) and it works fine in my Big Shot.
4) The Big Shot will take all Spellbinders dies except for the very largest of the Grand Nestabilities, but since you already have a Grand Calibur you should be able to handle them if the need arises.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-27-13 04:05 PM
In response to aquabunny

They're almost exactly the same. I prefer my Big Shot because the larger footprint adds stability, but you may like the fact that the Cuttlebug folds up.

tammie1983
New Kid On the Block
tammie1983
In response to stick

The footprint for me isn't an issue really, but the Cuttlebug seems much more portable should the need arise.

I was watching a YouTube video earlier and it was pretty bias towards the Big Shot stating that very few dies work in the Cuttlebug, but I know this not to be true from other videos and posts here.

I don't really know which dies I'll be using, so far I really like Marianne Dies and Crafty Ann dies as well as the Cuttlebug embossing folders. Knowing the majority of Sizzix dies will work (with the exception of ones that won't fit the Big Shot or the Cuttlebug) I am leaning towards Cricut.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

I've had my Cuttlebug since '08 and I love it. Like the Big Shot, the only dies and embossing folders it won't take are the enormous ones that are bigger than 6". I haven't tried with the really fat dies, but I'm sure there's a sandwich combination that would work.

It's very portable and robust - I take mine to crops every month. It lives on my desk folded up and the footprint is 5 1/2" by 10". Including the cranking handle extends it to 13".

I can honestly say that only my paper trimmer gets used more than my Cuttlebug.

lcalderone
Tenant
lcalderone
In response to RedSquirrel

They're not the same. The Bigshot is the most versatile machine between the two, in my opinion.

Memories4Ever
Idol
Memories4Ever
In response to lcalderone

I have the Cuttlebug and I love it. It's portable, durable and it's blue, not to mention I found it for almost half the price of the Big Shot, which was my deciding factor. From what I hear, they both work extremely well, and whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy.

tammie1983
New Kid On the Block
tammie1983
In response to Memories4Ever

Finally got the Cuttlebug for Christmas 2013 Having a lot of fun with it! Really excited for the Cricut Explore too...

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper

I really want a Big Shot Pro, but they are so darn Expensive and my crafting budget has shrunk even more so hope I can find a used one maybe. Thank You for all the info provided here! Hopefully I will be ready for whatever may happen when I do get one

Veteran
In response to catzscrapper

I have the teal Big Shot and love it! The only problem I've had is with Spellbinders Gold Imperial dies. I will NEVER buy another one. You have to use the magnetic thingy (which I ordered, just like they said) and they still chew my paper up. After numerous phone calls and emails to them, they now want me to send pictures of what the stupid things are doing to my paper! I don't have time for such nonsense and they won't be getting any pictures--nor will I be getting any more of those dies! I've used all kinds of dies and different kinds of embossing folders and they all work great!

Edited by Mimiof123 on 06-05-14 05:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ae
ae 
New Kid On the Block
ae
  • ae on 06-17-14 05:21 PM
In response to Mimiof123

they both sound nice but I just got the new wrmk evolution machine and they take both cuttlebug and sizzix embossing folders and dies; steel roll and acid (you would know better than I what that means) No sandwiches or plates other than the one plate and ONE mat to cover it. Its my one and only and its pretty cool. if they made it in 12x12 size it would be perfect; something definitely to consider in your purpose. Good scrapping to you

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to ae

Uh, how can it take both the thick steel-rule dies and the thin dies (which are of varying thicknesses) without some kind of sandwich or plate system?

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to aquabunny

I have the cuttlebug and just got the evolver. It only needs one platform because it has a dial that adjusts the thickness to whatever you want to use - embossing folders, thin or thick dies, and all kinds of material. It's very easy to roll. It takes the same width material as the cuttlebug, but the platform is 12" long.

I also have the Cut'n'Boss by Craftwell, which is an update of the eBosser. This is an electric embossing and die cutting machine. The advantage is that it's wider than the cuttlebug or evolver, taking materials up to 8 1/2" wide and 12" long.

I looked up the Grand Calibur and see that it also takes materials that are up to 8 1/2" wide by 12" long. I don't see why you can't use that machine with any kind of die that's available, especially thin dies. All you have to do is add one or more shims to the platform to make it tighter. I've had to do the same with my cuttlebug. Just use one or more sheets of cardstock and experiment till you get the expected results.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Solitaire

Oh, that adjustable thickness dial sounds really cool! Thanks for explaining.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Uh, how can it take both the thick steel-rule dies and the thin dies (which are of varying thicknesses) without some kind of sandwich or plate system?

by a dial which you set the width of the die.

Edited by southgirl on 08-04-14 06:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to southgirl

Is the size of the cuttlebug cutting area as large as the Big Shot? And is it lighter?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to southgirl

The Cuttlebug cutting area is a little more than 6" wide, by as long as the plates you have. The standard ones are a little bigger than 10" long and you can get extra long plates.

I haven't got a Big Shot but a quick net search told me that the width is the same.

The Cuttlebug is quite a lot lighter than the Big Shot, and it folds up, so its storage footprint is a lot smaller. That's why I chose the bug over the big Shot. I have limited storage space.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to RedSquirrel

Thanks Redsquirrel. I was thinking of buying one and taking it to crops.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to southgirl

In my opinion the Cuttlebug is perfect for crops. I always take mine now. And all except the largest dies and embossing folders will work in both the bug and the Big Shot.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics