Username Post: Cake baking help needed!        (Topic#1589667)
Karen B
Diva
Karen B

I'm going to be baking in shaped aluminum pan for the first time (1980 Wilton R2D2 robot from Star Wars). I am not a real cook and will definitely be using a boxed mix of some kind. I have the release spray. Can someone please tell me what kind(s) of boxed cake mixes work best? Like avoid ones that say super moist, angel food cake, etc.?

I've tried Google and have found the original instruction sheet, but not what type of mix is advisable.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Karen B

I use a lot of boxed cake mixes, even for non-cake treats. I would stay away from angel food but the others should be fine.
Maybe do a practice run first? The you have a yummy dessert AND get to see if it works like you want.

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to terrihooper

I'm planning to do a practice run tonight or tomorrow and take the practice run to a potluck. Just didn't know if some kinds were too soft or sticky or something. The party's not for 2 weeks, just didn't want to waste a box unnecessarily.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Karen B

I've alway used Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, or Pillsbury and never noticed a problem with any of them.

I've never used the release spray, only done the shortening then flour routine. I will say to makes sure that every teensy little nook and crevice is covered! Also, make sure the cake is fully baked so that it will release from the pan. I run a butter knife around the edges of the pan to make sure the edges are loosened before I invert the pan. Sometimes you have to have a LOT of patience to get the cake out all together. Many a time I've had to use a little frosting to 'glue' a piece back into place because it chose to not come out of the pan with the rest of the cake. However, I'm no expert, so that just might be my own incompetence!

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to justowen

Thank you both!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Karen B

Duncan Hines is my preference.

I put use backing parchment to guarantee that the pan doesn't stick. Cut a piece the size of the cake pan and put it in the bottom of the cake pan.

THen I grease and flour as normal. When you turn the cake over to get it out the pan it will not stick. You just peel off the parchment which is very easy. If you do that then you will not have a cake that sticks. I rarely, if ever make them without using parchment because over my lifetime I have had cakes that stuck and didn't come out of the pan.

I know you are not a baker but scratch cakes are really very easy to make - there are some good recipes that are easy to follow.

As long as the mixer is out and you are getting out eggs and oil, just as easy to throw the other ingredients in and no box mix can compare with a homemade cake.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Henri Jean

Pilsbury and Duncan Hines are my faves. I do the crisco and flour prep of the pan so it releases easy

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Henri Jean

Henri, she is making a shaped character cake, so parchment doesn't work.

I always prepare Betty Crocker for my decorated cakes, and don't ever use the mixes that call for butter. Depending on the cake pan you may need more than one cake mix.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to NMlady

Follow the box directions exactly! Now is not the time to try and be creative with substitutes or to let measurements be "close enough."

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to Luvmyfam

Thanks, all!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Karen B

Scratch the parchment - like NMlady says - won't work with a character pan!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics