Username Post: card stock looks "flat"        (Topic#1589669)
Katlady
Veteran
Katlady

I'm trying to make some cards and they just don't look right. The base is green cardstock and half way down is a green and white checked paper. On top of that I have a fancy 3D Christmas stocking.
The cardstock needs something, it's just laying there! no depth, no edge. Please help, all suggestions welcome.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Katlady

Pics or it didn't happen

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Katlady

I'm having difficulty getting a visual image of the card....is the checked paper half the card or is it a strip? I'm assuming the stocking is some sort of sticker?

Can you punch a border on one edge of the checked paper? Can you diecut a shape (scalloped circle or square or something) and put the sticker on top of that? You could use a vellum shape
in behind the sticker.....
I also like to ink the edges of my cardstock to add extra dimension

Take a look in the gallery for cards....there are lots of ideas and inspiration!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to kiyawinn

I was going to say, maybe add a punched border of some kind. White scallops always look nice. Maybe just add it where the cardstock and paper meet.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to olleharr

Have you tried inking the edges? It's amazing how a little inking goes a long way.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Luvmyfam

I was going to suggest inking or distressing the edges too. Matting adds dimension too. I particularly like gold or silver mirror board as a mat on Christmas cards.

The other thing you could try is embossing the card-stock background with a frame. If you haven't got any embossing tools, you could get a ruler and a ball-point pen with the tip clicked in. Turn the card over and place it on a mouse mat. Mark a small dot with a pencil at each corner, about a quarter inch in from the edge, and then join the dots up with the pen. It should show through the card onto the front.

Let us know what you choose and how it turns out?

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Katlady

I like to give my cards a little extra look by spraying with my Tattered Angels Glimmer mist in Pearl...
Products Referenced in This Post:

Katlady
Veteran
Katlady
In response to Sunnydi

Thanks Ladies. I ended up inking the edges. I have learned that if I use cardstock as a base I need to "prep" it by using any of your suggestions.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Katlady

I would second inking the edges or using an edge punch.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to mrsrogers52513

what about inking the edges or creating a dimentional

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to cescrapper

Since you tried inking the edges already, maybe it needs another layer to make it pop. It is hard to say without a picture.
How about some Washi tape added to it?
Edge punch?

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to binkiemonstermom

All great ideas ladies!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics