Username Post: Clear stamps        (Topic#1589675)
bonprof
Diva
bonprof

Please teach me how to use acrylic stamps. I know nothing. Thanks for your help. I'm looking for the exact type of ink I should use, and also, when to stamp since most of my pp is so busy. I need ideas, please.

Edited by bonprof on 07-27-13 08:16 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bonprof

Have you checked out the tutorials in the Classes and Videos section up the top? That would be the best place to start.

You need a stamp and an acrylic block. I started with first a CD case, and then the C plate from my Cuttlebug before I bought a block.

Prime the new stamp by rubbing over the whole stamping surface with an eraser. That will get rid of any chalkiness from the mould, or slickness that would make the ink bead on the stamping surface. You only have to do that once.

You can use any kind of ink, but each will give you a different effect. For clear, detailed images, use Versafine. Distress inks will give a less crisp effect. Don't use Staz-On if you are planning to colour your image with alcohol inks, because it is solvent based and will smudge.

Stick the stamp onto the block then ink the stamp. Press the stamp straight onto the paper firmly but without squashing the acrylic.

One tip with acrylic stamps that you don't need to do with rubber stamps is cleaning between repeated stamping. Let's say you have multiple Happy Birthdays that you want to stamp. If you just stamp, re-ink, stamp, re-ink, you might find that you don't get a crisp image. That's because there will be extra ink from the previous stamping stuck between the lines. If you press just a little harder the next time, both the new and the old ink will transfer to the paper.

Is that the kind of help you meant? LOL

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to RedSquirrel

Yes, this is so helpful. Thank you so much!!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bonprof

You're very welcome. Let us know how you get on?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I almost exclusively use chalk inks by Prima these days, regardless of stamp type. I also put a mousepad below the paper I'm stamping on, regardless of stamp type.

The way I often use stamps is that I really like journaling stamps, which I can cut out and mat, without worrying about the patterned paper. Actually, I think I do most of my stamping that way, though with images I typically do a square or rectangle around them rather than fussy cutting.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to aquabunny

I don't do much stamping in my scrapbooks, I usually use my stamps for cards. Sometimes if I'm just using a few pieces of plain cardstock in my scrapbooks, I will stamp something.

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 07-29-13 08:01 AM
In response to mrsrogers52513

I really love the Bo Bunny stamps to add interest on the background paper of my pages. Often I'll start with cardstock, add a stamp, and then layer patterned paper - like this:
Apple picking By J-M
Here I used a stamp with script on the orange paper, then the Bo Bunny chickenwire stamp on the top paper.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to J-M

I frequently use stamps on my scrapbook pages, I normally don't make one without them.
I use Stampin' Up ink. I like their matching colors of ink.
I have found that I don't like certain clear stamps, I don't like the really stretchy ones. I love photopolymer stamps though. I find they make a difference right away.

Here are some blog posts to show stamping on my scrapbook pages:

http://3monkeysthrowingar oundsomepaper.blogspot.com/201...

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to binkiemonstermom

I like the photopolymer ones too. I try not to buy the cheapy ones anymore cause they just don't last!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I really appreciate all your ideas and examples!! I will let you know how it goes.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to bonprof

Yay, hope it goes good! I'm addicted to my stamps!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

Ps: tell me exactly which ink to buy here at sb.com that will work well with acrylic stamps. Thanks!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bonprof

As I said before, it depends on what look you're trying to achieve.

Versafine is not in this store but it is best for fine detail, like script writing or finely detailed images for colouring. I guess the Brilliance or Memento are the closest here but maybe other people can chime in. These would be the best if you are heat embossing your stamp.

Distress Ink will give you a more organic look, for example good for combining colours to stamp autumn leaves. You might not get full coverage.

Have you got any inks and stamps of any kind now? The best thing to do is to get some scrap paper or card and have a play.

Did you know that for many of the products in this store, there are videos showing how to use them? Click on them and see?

ETA: read the reviews and the descriptions of the products as well. That should give you ideas and help you decide.

Edited by RedSquirrel on 07-30-13 06:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

And finally! Click here for videos right here on the Videos section up at the top of this site. I just searched for "clear stamping" and got a pile of tutorials.

http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/?w=clear+stamp ing

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

Ive been watching them today!! Fantastic!!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to bonprof

I like Memento Ink the best for clear stamps. It doesn't stain them, and it's the most crisp image.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics