Username Post: Need help big time!!!        (Topic#1589693)
New Kid On the Block

I am so confused, now that Creative Memories is going out of business I went to the store and bought an album to make for my granddaughter and it only came with page protectors...no more white pages to build off of? Aren't the pages flimsy if I just build pages on top of the regular paper? Aghhh.....so confused. It seems like if I put them back to back and put the page protector on they won't be horribly flimsy....please help.....so confused. Thanks all

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-28-13 05:21 PM
In response to ter3240

Most people use cardstock as their base. You can buy white cardstock then you will feel like you are still scrapping the CM way. You don't want to use those pieces of paper that come in the page protectors.

Hope this helps.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to KimKV

Yeah, some of the non-CM albums do come with white sheets inside the page protectors, but I don't think anyone really builds off those. I've always just built my pages on cardstock (or sometimes thinner paper than that), and once they're in the page protector they're fine.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

Same with Aqua. I build on cardstock - even thinner patterned paper and when you get one facing one way and the one on the other side facing the other, its plenty thick.

The protectors I buy have the white paper in each protector and its a pain pulling each white sheet out but I don't want the extra thickness. I like my books to not be so wide at the edges - I like them to sit on the bookshelves nicely.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Henri Jean

Me, too. I pull the white paper out and just put it in my paper stash. I never use it for building my layouts - I use colored cardstock, or even patterned paper. Once you have everything glued onto it, photos and embellishments, and put it into the plastic page protectors, there's no need for anything more. Give it a try.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to dwelch

Same here. I never used the white sheets. They are just as flimsy as the paper you're talking about if not more so, so generally people start with cardstock and build pages on that, adding patterned paper etc.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to scrappercaz

I only use the white paper for matting photos or journalling spots. I tried a few times, but it's not really sturdy enough for a page.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to RedSquirrel

As everyone else, I use cardstock. I am not sure why they give us those flimsy sheets. I normally throw those sheets away.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to binkiemonstermom

I also use cardstock to build mine on. I always take the white out and put it in my paper stash and use for matting photos if I'm using white, or to stamp on, etc.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsrogers52513

Actually - what I do with the pages that come with the protectors, I draw a big "X" on one side so it won't get mixed in with my good papers that I will use in my layouts.

I put them in a drawer - I have a huge stack of them.

When I start new pages I grab a few of those and put them on my desk with the "X" on the underside so I don't see it. Then I put my pictures and any embellies I know I'm going to use on the white paper and move it around. I work on my layouts that way until colors start popping out at me, which they will against the white.

Also I get an idea of size and dimensions I'm working with when I start with the white 12 x 12 paper.

Then I re-file the white paper that came in the protectors and substitute the patterned paper or cardstock.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Henri Jean

I use the white paper to cut stuff if I'm not sure how big I want something with the Cricut or I use it for books I'm covering that have funky shapes I can use it for a template.

I also use them if I want to see how a spray or ink will look on white

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to Sneezy1956

I use the white paper for the thin inside mat when I'm double matting photos. It works great for that. I keep them in my "scraps" folder so it doesn't get mixed in with my good paper.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to crichards1

Sometimes I do leave them in the page protectors, if I have two back-to-back pages with brads, or with ribbon wrapping around the edges, to help slide them in easier, like a shoehorn, and to keep the pages from catching on each other.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to aquabunny

One of the sets of post bound protectors, the paper inside one had a different tinge color to it. I tested it with my pH tester and it came up in acidic levels. I THINK it was paper studio brand? Might have been another one. So regardless, I now toss all those white flimsy sheets.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to scrapchica

Great ideas! I'll have to check mine with my ph pen and see.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to mrsrogers52513

Mine are all Grant Archival and I tested them and they are acid-free. Phew. Definitely worth checking though.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to RedSquirrel

Has anyone tested K & Company's white sheets? I use to buy their photo albums, and those sheets are the ones that I use for photo mats. I'm going to be very upset if they're acidic.

New Kid On the Block
In response to ter3240

Thank you all, great advice!!!!

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to ter3240

I use the white paper to experiment on like the others have said. When I get a large collection of them I take them to school and use them in my classroom for projects or donate them to our art teacher.

I never thought about starting a page on white paper and them picking my colored paper. I will have to give that a try.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to idlewoman

I bring mine to work at an elementary school. They are the perfect size for head silhouettes and fun art projects.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics