Username Post: Where do you heat emboss?        (Topic#1589773)
idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman

I have used my tweezers to hold the item I am heating the powder. My question is what surface do you heat emboss on? I am afraid it will get too hot on my counter top. What has been your experience?

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to idlewoman

Ranger makes a craft sheet that can be used for heat embossing. It's very thin and rolls up. You could place it on top of a flat surface. Description:

This 15” x 18” reusable, protective Non-Stick Craft Sheet form Ranger is the answer to all your craft surface needs! Nothing sticks to it or penetrates its surface! The slick, non-porous material withstands high temperatures and repels liquids. It’s perfect for use when stamping, embossing, ironing, painting, baking, and using Ranger’s Melting Pot. Embossing powders, inks, candle wax, soap chips, paint, hot glue and even solder won’t penetrate or distort its smooth-as-glass finish. Any excess melted product, once cooled, can be easily peeled off. Clean-up is quick and easy, so the Craft Sheet can be used again and again.

Edited by Solitaire on 07-31-13 11:13 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ScrappinTraveler
Expert
ScrappinTraveler
In response to idlewoman

I do it a couple of different ways. . . I have the Ranger Inksentials non-stick craft sheet, and it's true nothing sticks to it, and you can heat anything on top of it. I've litterally just layed embossing powder on it and melted it right there. But what I "usually" do is heat emboss in a box. . . that way the embossing powder doesn't fly all over the table, which it tends to do sometimes :-) I use the tweezers to just hold it down on the edge and slowly start heating over until it starts to melt. . .

I do have to say I love that craft sheet. . . inks, paints, glues, embossing powders. . . nothing sticks to it. . .

Edited by ScrappinTraveler on 07-31-13 11:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to ScrappinTraveler

I craft at my kitchen table, I do use a kraft mat so I don't get ink on my table. I just hold my card or item when I am heat embossing because I can twist it in my hand so my fingers are never hot. I do find that some heat guns are WAY hotter than they need to be! You have to be careful not to over heat your embossing. If that happens, I would suggest a heat gun with two settings. I had a super hot one at first, and often found my fingers to toasty, I ordered a SU heat gun and found that it works better for me and I can control the coverage of heat better.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to ScrappinTraveler

Scrap printer paper (full size sheets already printed on one side), on top of my wooden work table. I also use that type of paper for a backing when applying glue and ink to stuff, or to test the size of printed items, or to check the color of pens and inks, or to draft journaling or figure out what letters I need for a title - it's from a big stack of paper from a job I left three years ago, waste paper printed on one side with non-sensitive information, and the stack is still at least three inches high.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to aquabunny

I have never heat embossed huge sheets of cardstock so I have 2 clipboards - the pressboard (?) kind that are brownish with a metal clip. I have something to hold and tuck a tiny corner of the item under the clip.

I have a 8.5 x 11 size and a half size one for card or small elements.

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee
In response to corrie fan

I have used both the Ranger craft mat and the Bazzill one--don't see a big difference in quality, but I do like the size of the larger Bazzill

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to scrapperbee

ranger craft sheet I have it on top of a making memory cutting mat and never have any trouble.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to idlewoman

Boy, do I feel dumb! I have the Ranger craft sheet on my table but didn't realized it was heat resistant! And I do love it! Thanks for all your help!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to idlewoman

If you choose to hold your item, there is a great tool that is like a 12" dowel with an aligator clip on the end of it. I couldn't remember who made it, so I made my own.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to dwelch

I just emboss on my craft mat and have never had an issue.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to mrsrogers52513

I heat emboss in the middle of the air, holding the item by a pair of long-nosed tweezers.

I sure don't heat emboss on my plastic craft table any more. Once was more than a learning experience!

paper_doll
Resident
paper_doll
In response to meezerpleaser

I use a non-stick teflon oven liner. It's basically the same as a kraft sheet just alot cheaper. I get them at The Christmas Tree shop for less than $5

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to paper_doll

I use a tile that we had left over from when my husband installed them on our bathroom floor. You can buy individual pieces, too, in the home repair centers. I think it's 8 x 8. It cleans up easily too.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Scrapjanny

Good idea!

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to mrsrogers52513

My dh cut me a chunk of a board that is the same size as my small ranger heat mat. I use that because I have plastic tables and I cant heat on them.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics