Username Post: Looking for rotary cutting advice!!        (Topic#1589835)
New Kid On the Block

Hi everyone, my name is Danielle and im new to the site! I don't actually scrapbook but i do custom trading cards (mainly hockey) and i've noticed that what i do is a lot scrap booking (same materials and stuff)

I work with 200 lb cardstock at the thinnest and have it layered up to 4 pieces thick sometimes to house the patch pieces i use in them. I use a Ginghers rotary cutter and a ruler but am hoping to get advice as to how to solve my slanted edges..

The problem im having is when i use my ruler and rotary cutter i always cut slanted rather than straight giving it a side ways edge rather than a clean straight look.

This is what i want to achieve (My design but had someone else build it) :

The edges around the card are so clean and nice but mine end up slanted.

Any help would be truly appreciated!!!

Edited by dnjcards on 08-02-13 02:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-02-13 07:50 AM
In response to dnjcards

I would suggest an actual paper trimmer. Using hand tools like that always leaves you more susceptible to things being less than "perfect," a problem which is amplified if you're stacking multiple layers. There are TONS of trimmers to choose from, and each one has its lovers and its haters. Just browse through the shop here and read the reviews.

New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

Ive been looking into the heavy duty Carl but have my doubts that it will cut through.

It says it will cut through 36 sheets of 20 lb paper = 720 lbs of thickness

I work with sometimes 5 plys of 200 lbs = 1000 lbs of thickness and i need to cut them all at the same time

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to dnjcards

Maybe check a school supply store for a trimmer that schools use that's meant for heavier paper or for bulk.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to mrsrogers52513

If you really want to cut by hand rather than a trimmer, make sure you are using a metal edged ruler, with grips so it doesn't move on you, and use an exacto knife rather than a rotary blade. Make sure it's super sharp, and long enough to get through all the layers you want to cut.

I'd talk to people who do framing to get good tool suggestions.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics