Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: Random spending!!        (Topic#1589875)
bonprof
Governor
bonprof

Some folks say, "Buy only what you need to crop", but I am in favor of random spending. This morning I found an old picture of my mother (who passed away 31 years ago). I was able to make a beautiful page with things I bought "just because". The paper that touches my soul, I will buy every time. How about you?

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to bonprof

I don't go shopping for supplies unless I am needing something for a project or if I need to stock up on adhesive.

I have so much stuff that I need to use more then I buy...

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to dorichatelain

I have a decent stash of things built up, so these days I try and by things only as needed. However, I will take advantage of a good deal if I have a project in mind, even if that project is months (or years) away from being tackled.

Basically, I like to keep a basic stash on hand. Anything extra is gravy.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to bonprof

I missed the days when I took my photo(s) to the LSS and bought materials specifically for it. I was able to buy spot on colors and patterns that brought out the best in my images. But somewhere along the way my amount of stash grew to a CRAZY amount which stops me now from impulsive purchases. And I think this is why so many say...be careful not to buy, buy, buy. It is VERY easy to all of a sudden have hundreds of dollars of materials you are no longer excited about.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I'm trying very yard to just buy for needed projects But, not able to do this real well.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Sneezy1956

I found it very expensive when I bought supplies specifically FOR certain pics.....fun, but expensive.

Now, I don't have an LSS nearby and usually only get to go shopping a couple of times a year. I buy things I love and then have them on hand. Sure, I have a huge stash that would equal ridiculous amounts of money, but I also bought a lot of it off clearance, etc. and I can pretty much scrap any pic at any time. Sometimes I have to make my own themed embellies...like I just had to make a barber pole, because I didn't have any themed embellies for a shaving lo, but it all works and I get to feel really creative when I think of unusual ways to tie something into a certain theme.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to bonprof

I have done my share of random spending. And I have a stash to prove it. I, too, am trying to scrap from that stash. I could probably scrap for a year or so on a regular basis without buying anything except adhesive. That is what I am going to be trying to do!

bonprof
Governor
bonprof
In response to idlewoman

Compared to every scrapper I know, maybe even including most of the women on this site, I don't have a lot of stuff. I think I am going through the "stocking up" phase. And it's fun!!!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to bonprof

I haven't been buying a lot in the past month. Since a scrappy friend I meet on youtube. Wanted to sent me some items. It was a box stuffed full of papers and stickers etc... That now I feel like I don't need to shop for while. I'm now trying not to shop to much for scrapbook stuff. I might put some stuff on my wishlist on some of the online stores. But like some had said above. I now will only buy stuff if I really need something. So I can save money.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to justartguy007

I went for a long time just riding on my stash but this year I just felt the need to rejuvenate my paper stash and invest in a few new tools. I'm more of a random scrapbooker. I flip through my photos and when one catches my eye...and my heart it gets scrapped. I like having stuff on hand to scrap on a whim.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to olleharr

I don't go to the store unless I need something specific, but I am in favor of random spending while I'm there. If I see something I like and have something that I really think I could use it for and its on sale, I will buy it. I'm just trying not to get my random spending too out of hand. Which clearly, it got out of hand today when I went shopping. Oh well!

Cricutgirlg
Guru
Cricutgirlg
In response to mrsrogers52513

When I buy I because I see something I like, but I do not shop very often. So it remains fun! There are times that I need to look for something for a specific LO or project and that's okay too I just add it too my shopping fun. I do not back myself into any particular camp.

bonprof
Governor
bonprof
In response to mrsrogers52513

You are funny!! My problem lately is this website. Omg! I love to shop here!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

I buy a lot online - 4 orders this month - and I like my orders to be large enough to justify the shipping. Or... if its a free shipping day, large enough to qualify for the free shipping.

I've slowed W-A-Y down on tools, Cricut Carts, dies, Slice Cart, embossing folders and things like that - I don't use what I have so I rarely buy more unless something really grabs me. I may buy one Cricut cartridge a year.

However, if I see paper and I like it - I buy it. I have about 2,000 sheets of cardstock and about 2,000 sheets of patterned paper on hand. I do not pass patterned paper I like. I don't care if I need it or not. And I buy about 5 sheets of it because if I buy just one or two I have trouble forcing myself to use them. And, some of my travel layouts are 4 or 5 pages.

Themed paper - I never pass that up. I know I will not be able to find it if I need it. I get comments all the time about how my themed papers are so cool - I have themed papers for everything. I saw hot air balloon papers - I bought it. I may go some day.

Last week I was doing a layout of my granddaughter in a shopping cart. I thought, "Too bad they don't make shopping cart paper." Guess what - I had paper with shopping carts on it! What a nice surprise when I discovered that.

If I love an embellie - I buy it. I even bought one for skydiving. Maybe I will skydive some day, maybe not. But if I do - I'm ready to scrap it.

My weakness besides papers is diecuts. If I see a cute diecut - I buy it.

When I do a layout I almost always have my diecuts and my papers in my stash.

I order my ATG tape on line and I buy 24 boxes at a time - 48 rolls so I don't ever have to run out for adhesive. I could scrap the rest of my life and never run into a store.

I even have diecuts for cities and countries all over the world that I "might visit" someday - because I will never find them when I need them.

But tools - not so much anymore.

bonprof
Governor
bonprof
In response to Henri Jean

I feel less guilty after reading your entry. I love paper too, but lately have been buying collections of things. I like having brads to match, etc, etc.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to bonprof

I rarely shop for a specific lo or picture. I buy what products inspire and speak to me.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to andrea m

I shop exactly like Henri! I call it "shopping with my heart" (a nice a of saying compulsive). Especially when it comes to themed paper. I don't want to have the perfect photos and then finding the perfect paper I saw has been discontinued. If I love it, it's mine. I, too, shop on-line often, especially when I find great deals. I love pulling into the driveway and seeing a nice package on my porch! It's like Christmas.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dwelch

Love it when those packages arrive!

Got some cute embellies in the mail yesterday for the New Orleans layouts I just put together. I will go back later and see if I can work them in. Wish I had ordered them earlier so I would have them on hand when I did the layouts.

Doing the Azores right now. Hope to finish it up today.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Henri Jean

A thought just occurred to me...... for people who buy for a specific project, where do they get their supplies? I used to love taking photos into the LSS and buying everything I needed for a layout. Those have always resulted in my best layouts. But....the LSS's are gone and the Big Box (at least the ones in my area) do not have wide selections. I do place orders here online with a specific project in mind, but usually throw in a few extras for my stash to keep my shipping costs lower.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Luvmyfam

hahahaha, I love it- it's not 'compulsive shopping,' it's SHOPPING WITH MY HEART!

Well, everyone knows that I'm a compulsive shopper and a hoarder. But I like the way it looks like a LSS in my craftroom. So much so that I put up the pegboard, so I could hang new product from hooks to enhance the LSS-in-my-craftroom EXPERIENCE. lol

kory

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics