Username Post: Cuddle bug Vs sizzix for embossing        (Topic#1590055)
Lindatinkie
New Kid On the Block
Lindatinkie

I'm a beginner at card making and was wondering which embossing machine is better? Cuddle bug or sizzix? And can some plates be used in both.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Lindatinkie

Hi and welcome!

The Cuttlebug (made by Provocraft) and the Big Shot and its family (made by Sizzix) do the same thing: use a manual cranking system to cut or emboss. The Cuttlebug is slightly smaller and more compact than the sturdier Big Shot.

The plates are individual to the machine, not interchangeable, but I'm guessing that you meant the embossing folders and dies. Nearly all dies and embossing folders from most manufacturers can be used in either machine.

So each does the same thing, and each machine has its own fan club. I'm a Cuttlebug girl, personally! I'm afraid I'm not helping you make a decision, am I?

Have a look at the product videos for each one, and some other machines that I've attached, and see if that helps?

Lindatinkie
New Kid On the Block
Lindatinkie
In response to RedSquirrel

Wow! Thanks Rosey for the information. Being new to this , it's a bit overwhelming. The videos did help alot, was able to get good visual of what they all do.
Thank you so much for your time, very much appreciated!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

I was going to make the suggestion of the sizzix texture boutique as well if you just are going to be using embossing folders and not dies. It's a whole lot cheaper and smaller.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to scrapchica

You're very welcome. It is a bit of a jungle for a new starter.

Yes, the Texture Boutique is $27ish and only embosses. Then the Cuttlebug is $86ish and cuts AND embosses. And the Sizzix machines start at $110ish and also do both.

Actually I've seen the Texture Boutique and although it is quite a bit smaller than the other Sizzix machines, it isn't much smaller than the Cuttlebug. I was surprised.

Lindatinkie
New Kid On the Block
Lindatinkie
In response to scrapchica

Scrapchica
Thank you very much for the input, It' good to get such a variety of opinions from everyone . Hoping soon to make a decision.
THANKS AGAIN!

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl

Just a heads up, some of the newer embossing folders wont run thru the sizzix boutique, I don't know about the cuttlebug.

lcalderone
Tenant
lcalderone
In response to southgirl

I think you'll find with research, the Sizzix Bigshot, is the most economical and versatile machine.

Lindatinkie
New Kid On the Block
Lindatinkie
In response to lcalderone

I saw something that said the cuttlebug is being discontinued does anyone know about this?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Well since we're cross-posting...

I remember a rumour back in 2009/10 which was swiftly debunked. I haven't heard anything since.

Where have you seen this?

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to RedSquirrel

There's a new cuttlebug out by Anna Griffin. Same as the previous one but in a pretty gold color.

I have the original cuttlebug, and also the eBosser, which does larger size paper and is electric, so no hand-cranking needed. I love them both.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics