Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: My big project! Tips wanted!        (Topic#1590115)
Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89

Hi everyone!

I am a beginner and have made only two books so far: one of my trip to NYC and the other of my best friend’s wedding. I am now planning my "real" book that I want to be really nice. It is going to be of my boyfriend and I. He is deploying overseas in October and wanted to work on the book while he is gone. He lives in Arizona and I am in California so I was going to put together a book of all our trips we have taken together and each time we have seen each other (being long distant you can count each time spent together). I have so many ideas and I am beginning to feel a little over whelmed. I have purchased stickers, have my memories saved such as tickets, brouchures and soveneers of places that I want in the book, organized pictures on my computer in folders and have some paper. What are your helpful hints on where to begin on a large project? I was going to do the first few pages of just us and our hometown that we both share, the next set will be our trips and the last will be his "welcome home" and little bit of his life in the military.

Thanks so much for your help!

Alisa

Edited by Alisa89 on 08-14-13 11:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Alisa89

You don't have to necessarily scrap in the order the book is going to be in. What I do when I'm working on a bigger project is just scrap whatever I feel like or am inspired to do at that time, and I put all the pages in order when I'm done by what makes sense.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsrogers52513

I am a chronological scrapper and I like lots of journaling to tell the story. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words but its not necessarily the correct 1,000 words.

I kept a scrapbook in 1969 when my boyfriend and I were dating - mostly pictures, but didn't tell any of our stories. We broke up for 38 years and when we got back together in 2006 our scrapbook from 1969 resurfaced.

We are just sick that I didn't write out the stories - we don't know what was going on in half of them. In one he was carrying me but we don't know if I was sick, hurt, injured or just tired and we were having fun.

In another we are holding a cake that says "Happy First Anniversary" - is that the anniversary of when we met, first kiss, first date??? And who had the party for us. It is in someone's home but whose?

Or did we have the party for someone else?

We had so many cute or funny stories from back then and I can only remember a fraction of them because I didn't journal. I'm kicking myself but I also learned.

Before Bill and I got married in 2009 he went to Thailand on a diving trip. We had Skype and set it up when we were sleeping - we literally talked to each other until we were both asleep. I set up the camera to take a photo of him sleeping on my computer screen and had one taken of me sleeping while he was.

I titled the layout, "Sleeping together On opposite sides of the world". That was one of my favorites.

I like my scrapbooks to read like a book so everything is in order.

Sometimes I really don't want to scrap certain pages, just not that interesting to scrap but those are our memories so I want them scrapped. When I scrap out of order I pick the most fun to scrap first and never get to others that aren't as much fun to scrap but are precious memories to us so now its in order.

I scrap pictures I don't like at all but the memories need to be captured - and when we go back and look at them, we like having those memories, even if the pictures aren't great on some pages.

These scrapbooks are our romantic journey of our life and relationship together. Other people are in them because they are part of our lives but everything we've done I think is captured in order in those books. So much fun to grab one book and read all the stories and see the pictures. I put a lot of momentos in mine too.

squzalkitty
Tenant
squzalkitty
In response to Henri Jean

i would ask old friends or family members or if you know the the people that are in the photos with you. good luck.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to squzalkitty

We have asked around a bit but some of them I don't think we will ever identify. Mostly I want the stories that go with the photos.

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89

Very interesting story & I really appreciate your input. I didn't really think of writing anything along with my pages - but just like in your case, it would be nice to jot down the memories because years from now you won't remember. I guess you really can't go off by the picture. So do you just hand write? How would you go about using your computer and printing it out but still making it look nice?

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to Alisa89

I usually write by hand when I'm journaling. Sometimes, though, I'll use the computer. I always cut my card stock to 8 1/2 x 11 to work with the printer. Sometimes I will mat my journaling but not always.

Edited by crichards1 on 08-15-13 07:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to crichards1

I have the world's worst handwriting and it is not legible so its all on the computer. I do all kinds of things to make it look good. It does keep my books from looking really artsy like so many of the beautiful ones but that is okay with me, I want to remember everything.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Some samples - didn't mean to post so many but kept coming up with more and more to give you ideas.

How do you Park a Submarine? By Henri Jean

Our Zebra Doves in Hawaii By Henri Jean

Yellowstone Bison Right By Henri Jean

Wallace, Idaho By Henri Jean

Juneau, ALaska - Right Side By Henri Jean

Road Trip - Seattle Gum Wall By Henri Jean

Road Trip - 5,000 Pound Chili Pepper By Henri Jean

Texas Alamo - Left Side By Henri Jean

Hey Honey... Why did you pack 3 deodorants? By Henri Jean

Road Trip to the Florida Keys By Henri Jean

Valentine's Day 2012 By Henri Jean

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89

Thank you SO much for your examples. I really like your deodorant story - it was too funny. That is what I want my pages to look like more or less. Do you print your writing to cardstock?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Alisa89

Yes, I do print to cardstock. Sometimes its fun to match the cardstock I've used for the background and then mat the piece with the journaling.

I thought my husband was so funny with the deodorant. My scrapbooks are full of pages like that with just stories because I want the memories.

If you like the funny stories - here is one of my favorites:

Bill's Frog By Henri Jean

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89

Oh my, i literally laughed out loud on that one! That is really awesome you have all your stories (not just pictures) captured in your scrapbook. Do you ever add dates to them? I would like to put the dates on every page or set of trips along the pages with mine, but I am not sure if I should go purchased packs of letters and numbers or how I should go about it?

Thanks again for sharing!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Alisa89

Amazing journaling you have! I never journal much because I don't like my handwriting. Everyone else says its so nice, but I hate it. lol. I've never used the computer because I just thought I wouldn't like how it would look, but yours look so nice. Going to have to go through your gallery and get some ideas from you.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsrogers52513

Thank you for the compliments! Very nice. I love to journal and when my oldest son comes to visit he picks up one scrapbook and will spend an hour or two with it because he loves to read our stories as well as the history of where we have been.

I just posted the history of the Titanic a few days ago because we were in Halifax.

When we have a road trip and are in a different city each night I often do calendar pages on word. I use one color ink for what we did, another for any friends or family we may have had dinner with or visited and the bottom line in another color is the city where we spent the night.

Calendar Page Right for road trip and Alaska Cruise and Hawaii 2012 vacation By Henri Jean

Calendar Page Left for road trip and Alaska Cruise and Hawaii 2012 vacation By Henri Jean

Calendar Page Both for road trip and Alaska Cruise and Hawaii 2012 vacation By Henri Jean

Continued...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I keep a file on my desktop called "Trip Journal" and while Bill is in the shower every night I take 10 or 15 minutes to type out everything we did that day, what we ate, what we thought. Whatever comes to mind. Easier to take a few minutes and type it all than to get home and try to recreate and remember.

When I actually use it I take out a lot of it, but that only takes seconds to take out what I don't need. The info is there.

Each day starts: (And it is underlined) Sunday, August 18th, 2013 or whatever the correct date is. It is consistent in every one of my books for travel journaling. Here are some samples:

Train to Quebec City By Henri Jean

Back to Hawaii By Henri Jean

Cruise Day 41 By Henri Jean

Halloween on the Cruise Ship 1 By Henri Jean

Singapore - Marina Bay Sands 1 By Henri Jean

The last way I use to date pages is to use the little calendar pages they sell in the scrapbook stores. I've seen these all over the country and they are usually a couple dollars and have several pages for each month.

Here are examples using those:

GRANNY - THEY'RE BEING MEAN TO ME! 3 By Henri Jean

Juneau, ALaska - Right Side By Henri Jean

San Antonio River Walk By Henri Jean

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D

If you get stuck on a page and need ideas just go to the gallery and do a custom search... just type in key words of what you're looking for. If you need ideas for journaling search that word, if your theme is Grand Canyon type it in and you can see how others have done it.

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89
In response to Lauri D

I actually did that yesterday and found some really neat ideas

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89

That's a really good idea during your trip because i is hard to remember. I started my book this past weekend and left some room to type up or write in dates and journals but some of these events happened a year ago and I don't remember which is why I SHOULD have started this at the time of the event. Oh well, better late then never right?

Today I am going to Hobby Lobby to look for some markers that can show up against black paper - any ideas or suggestions? Also, look for some embellishments that I can stick to each page and write in the dates of the time we spent to stay consistent. I found some little planes which I thought were cute but they didn't have enough room for me to write. Does anyone have a suggestion on this too? Thanks in advance!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Alisa89

Definitely better late than never. Be sure to type in funny stories. Mine are full of them. Working on one now.

I wanted grape juice for breakfast and the beverages in the machine were not labeled. Bill asked if there was grape juice and the attendant showed him where it was and then put a sign on it that said grapefruit juice. Bill said, "This is grape juice not grapefruit juice." The attendant said, "It is correct it is grape FRUIT juice - the same thing." Bill said, no, grape juice is grape FRUIT juice but it is not grapefruit juice.."

I was almost like an Abbott and Costello routine trying to get the attendant (from Indonesia) to understand that you can't put a grapefruit juice label on the grape juice - even though it is grape fruit juice.

I try to pick up all the funny or silly things like that in my journaling and there is no way I can go back and remember those funny exchanges if I don't type them out pretty quickly!

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to Alisa89

• Alisa89 Said:
Today I am going to Hobby Lobby to look for some markers that can show up against black paper - any ideas or suggestions?

The Signo White Uni-ball pen is what I use on black paper. I think it's what a lot of people on here use. It does a great job.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics