Username Post: Die Cutting and embossing machine wanted        (Topic#1590121)
squzalkitty
Tenant
squzalkitty

ok i'd like a die cutting/embossing machine but i'm on a budget. $100.00 or less. which one of these is the best and will fit different die cutters. i would also love it if it could emboss a 12x12 page or close to it.

thanks for your help.

Edited by squzalkitty on 08-14-13 07:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to squzalkitty

I don't know anything about some of the machines you mentioned, but the Cricut might run you out of your budget as it requires cartridges, which aren't cheap. The Cuttlebug or the Big Shot are affordable, versatile, and both use a variety of dies from several different companies. I have a Cuttlebug, it will use any die except for extra large ones. I also have a Big Kick, similar to the Big Shot, and it too will use just about any die. I really like both of them.
Somebody else might be able to give you information on some of the other machines.

squzalkitty
Tenant
squzalkitty
In response to chocolateaxel

thanks

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

The cuttlebug, grand calibur, big shot/big kick will all accept the thinner type dies ie sizzix sizzlets, cuttlebug dies, and all brands embossing folders. The Fiskars dies do not work in any other die cutting machine other than the Fuse(I asked Fiskars.com). The Grand Calibur will not take Sizzix bigs/original/movers and shapers as those are too thick. The Big Shot/Big Kick are essentially the same machine. Those will take the thick original sizzix dies, but they take all but the largest 2 sizes of Grand Nestabilities Spellbinders dies as they are too wide. There is a special platform adapter with the new kits to use the spellbinders dies in the sizzix machines. (Some women have the older 3 tab platform-the machine now comes with a platform and solo shim. the thin die adapter is extra). The reason I went manual instead of Cricut was because I could use my big box store coupons on dies, but not on cartridges. HTH!

Edited by scrapchica on 08-14-13 08:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to scrapchica

The Cuttlebug and Big Kick will also use the Tim Holtz Bigz dies, I have several I've used in my machines.

bethannf
New Kid On the Block
bethannf

I would get the Cuttlebug, I have wanted one forever and planned on getting one, then I became a SU demo and was told I had to get the Big Shot since that's what SU sells. I paid $99!!! for my machine, it's a fine machine but it is big and I find the dies and embossing folders for Sissex are more expensive than the Cuttlebug ones. (you can use all interchangeable but u need extra pads) If you are short on space the Cuttlebug is a better option as well. I plan to sell my Big Shot and get the Cuttlebug, even though I know I will be out some money, I just realllly want the cute little CB and I don't have the space for the Big Shot. Hope this helps!

squzalkitty
Tenant
squzalkitty
In response to bethannf

thanks for all the help. after look on utube and looking at other sites i have decided to go with the cuttlebug. i think i will get the most bang for my buck.

i got the cuttlebug tonight for $59.99 at Joanns. i'm so happy with it. i can't wait to make more projects with it.

Edited by squzalkitty on 08-15-13 10:57 PM. Reason for edit: i got the cuttlebug! :)

bethannf
New Kid On the Block
bethannf

Good for you! I'm jealous, LOL! I saw that deal at JoAnn's too, couldn't take advantage of it because I still need to sell my Big Shot. Fingers crossed I can find a good deal when the time comes. You'll have to let us know how you like it!!!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to bethannf

So glad you found something you like!

New Kid On the Block

"BIG SHOT PRO BY SIZZIX"

I purchased the above machine about 60 days ago as a starter kit. Being new to scrapping I went crazy and bought all accessories and adapters possible plus extra everything just to make sure I had what I needed. While it's affordable and most die's, etc. you can find fairly cheap online you must be careful. I had been very careful with mine, watching video's on youtube, googling information to make sure I used it correctly or if it was suppose to make crack sounds, etc. and still after a couple of months max it quite even the smallest of tasks such as using embossing folders. It felt like it was stripped. I'm sure if you apply enough pressure this can happen but as I stated I was VERY careful. When the manufacturer denied honoring my warranty my husband took it apart and saw that the metal which held the gears and components had a small seam crack in it. It appeared it had been a design flaw in the past as there were already plates preventing just that in other areas. Now, with hundreds of dollars in accessories and dies i must again begin my search. Fiskars Fuse seems to be the way to go. This is just a warning to you. Be careful but enjoy while you can. When it worked it worked well. I could barely sleep for becoming obsessed and using this thing almost 24/7....LOL

New Kid On the Block
In response to bethannf

Quick. I just saw an ad in JoAnn's for the Cricket advertising a Wednesday only deal for $160. Plus there is a 20% off crafting coupon you can use on clearance and sale items or a $5, $10 & $15 coupon ( $30 when combined, yes I said combined) you can use as well. I figured bottom line for just that with discounts will make it around $103. Now that's a deal worth dealing. Again it's only on Wednesday so run get your Sunday paper and find the add. Paper packs / Cardstock is 5/$4.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to wcarella

I think you will be delighted with your CB. I have a Cricut and a Slice along with the CB. I most frequently use the CB. Have fun.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics