Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Trimmers        (Topic#1590131)
Jeminileft
New Kid On the Block
Jeminileft

I am a newbie I am having trouble selecting a trimmer. I have a guillotine. And an old 12" trimmer. I need a good trimmer. I have narrowed it down to these specs.
Rotary
ACCURATE.
Ability to trim thin strips
Ability to see exactly where the cut is
Blade selections for scoring and decorative edges

Suggestions?.. Tks!

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to Jeminileft

That's basically what I want, too. I had decided to get the Creative Memories trimmer until they filed bankruptcy. Now I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get replacement blades. I'm thinking now that I'll get the Fiskars. I'll be interested in what other people use and what their opinions are.

Edited by crichards1 on 08-16-13 02:42 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to crichards1

Love love love my Fiskars rotary! Never a crooked cut although I have to be careful to put the paper firmly against the side.

Easy to change the blades although I almost never have too - maybe once a year or every-other year and mine is used all the time.

I love it so much I bought a second one which stays in my scrap wagon to go to crops.

Will cut up to 4 pieces of cardstock at a time - the way it is marked I can do very thin or very wide mats with no measuring!

Thin strips are no problem - I do it all the time.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to Henri Jean

Henri Jean, which Fiskars rotary trimmer do you have? Scrapbook.com has five styles, and I wasn't sure which one I should be looking at. Thanks.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

I also have a Fiskars and I love it. I'm not sure which style it is, I believe I got it from Hobby Lobby. It looks sort of like the one referenced above.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to mrsrogers52513

Thanks Amanda Emily. I'll look at Hobby Lobby.

bethannf
New Kid On the Block
bethannf

I have the Fiskars trimmer you showed above (in the first post) I love it! I did have the SU trimmer when I was a demo, it was nice but once I quit I didn't want to have to constantly be ordering from SU to get the replacement blades so I decided to go w/ something I could get blades for in the stores. The price for the Fiskars is great too, I *think* I only paid like $16 for mine! (the SU trimmer is $$$$$ for what u get in my opinion) My only complaint about the Fiskars trimmer I have is I have to stand up in order to see the grid for cutting since it's the same color as the trimmer. But maybe this is only a problem w/ that particular one. I love how u can get different cutting blades, love Fiskars!

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to bethannf

Thanks Bethannf. That's helpful information.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

Fiskars Sure cuts a lot. That is the model I use. I have 4 trimmers and it is my favorite. I don't think you can beat Fiskars for quality and customer service.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to pinkpaperairedale

So true. And the replacement blades are so inexpensive, and I barely have to change mine.

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517

I LOVE my Fiskars Trimmer. I have this one. If I have issues, it's always been user error.

I picked mine up at J's when it was on sale, and I had a coupon good for sale prices--which made it cheaper than the cheap trimmers.

It did take some getting used to, but I love the rotary blade. Replacements are pretty cheap, and last a long time. There are even some decorative blades you can get.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to snoflake517

It seems that Fiskars is the democratic choice here! I'm late to the party, and I'm going to throw another idea in, but the Cutterpede ticks all the boxes. I LOVE mine.
Products Referenced in This Post:
Cutterpede Score Blade (Discontinued)
Cutterpede Trimmer (Discontinued)

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to snoflake517

What other blades do you have? I know the box says there are several you can use, but the only Style F 28 mm that I can find on the internet are the Scallop. Amazon usually has everything, and even they don't have anything but the Scallop. I would love to find different ones if they are still available. The ones I've posted below are the ones I'd like to have but can't find anywhere. Thanks.

Edited by crichards1 on 08-23-13 01:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I'm home now and checking my Fiskars trimmer - says it takes Blade Style "F" but no model number.

It is not any of the ones posted here - going to the Fiskars site to see if I can find it.

I can't even find it on the Fiskar's site - mine is so old they have been redecorated and I can't recognize it. My rotary housing is cream color and the ones pictured are all orange. It does not have a wire.

I It's probably one of the ones above but my blade housing looks more substantial than those but that could just be the photograph also.

I think you are safe if you get one that takes blade "F" though. That blade is also interchangeable so you can make little designs cutting across but I've never done that although I have some of the other blades.

Veteran
In response to Henri Jean

Another vote for Fiskars here

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Noelles mom

The hunt for the perfect trimmer!!!!
I am enjoying my Stampin' Up trimmer. They are now offering a rotary attachment arm for it and four blades! I am loving that I can have a standard trimmer or make it into a rotary trimmer. I like the flexibility to have both available!

I also love my guillotine cutter too!

jstahr
jstahr 
New Kid On the Block
jstahr
In response to binkiemonstermom

Lots of ladies I scrapbook with say they absolutely LOVE the SU trimmer. But for rotary I would have to go with the Fiskars. I have an old large one. I find that it doesn't do that great on paper, but for heavier cardstock and chipboard....it's the cats meow!

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to jstahr

I have an Tonic Guillotine trimmer and love it. I also have a Fiskars Trimmer and have been considering upgrading to their rotary to get a more accurate cut (the trimmer with the wire in it wears out and breaks and you have to contact Fiskars). Another benefit to the Fiskars paper trimmers, if ANYTHING EVER BREAKS you take a photo of your trimmer send it to customer service and they will send you a new one. Fiskars has a LIFETIME warranty.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to GwynnAsbury

Oh that's good to know, I wasn't aware of that!

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

I wasn't either. After my paper trimmer with the wire guide in it broke (the wire guide wore out) I was rather upset I couldn't get replacements. When I got onto the Fiskars website I saw the Life Time Guarantee policy - emailed them with a photo of the trimmer and they sent me a new one no charge to me.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics