Username Post: Help! No idea...        (Topic#1590163)
Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16

I'm coming back to scrapbooking after 3 years. Still can't believe it's been that long. But I have no idea whereto start. Finish layouts already planned? Or start fresh with new events? Or just start back with an update page in my All About Me album?(I was looking in this one last night and things have most definitely changed.). Anyone have any suggestions?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Scrapnut16

Welcome back! I would start with the project that sounds the most fun to work on. I have a huge list of projects and as long as I work on the one that appeals to me most, I'm happy.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Luvmyfam

I don't scrap chronologically anymore....I try to file them chronologically, but I don't scrap that way.....
I don't scrap every picture and I don't scrap just "events" anymore. I scrap stories, the ones that come to you when you look at the picture...

I scrap what I feel like so I would probably go through my pictures and organize them if they aren't already. Whatever struck my fancy, storywise, is what I would do first.....

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to kiyawinn

Welcome back! I do not scrap in order, I just do whatever is most inspiring to me at the time.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to mrsrogers52513

I love the above answers. I used to feel I was the only one who did NOT scrap chronologically. I find I do much more scrapping, and enjoy it more when I work on a project that is fun and inspiring to me at the time.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dwelch

Since my mind is fresher on the new stuff, when I got back into scrapbooking I did the newest stuff first and worked my way backwards. As new stuff was ready to scrap I did it and when caught up again with the new stuff I then worked my way a little further backwards. That worked well for me.

I have all the pictures while we were dating to do and when all the current stuff is complete I will go back and do that.

I'm a chronological scrapper - I like our romantic journey done in order. Just me - I like to be organized and scrapping in order makes me feel better.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Henri Jean

I like to have things in order, but I scrap what I feel like at the time, and then I can put my pages in the "right" order when I complete one.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D

I like scrapping themes in chronological order like a vacation, tour, weddings...
BUT... when I start getting burned out from the same thing I take a break and pull out an old heritage photo or a pic or 2 from a random day to scrap for a miscellaneous album just to break up the monotony!

I suggest not to tackle anything that will discourage you from getting back into scrapbooking!

Debby Lewis
Expert
Debby Lewis
In response to Lauri D

Scrap what your heart wants to scrap and go back to those older projects when you are back in full swing.

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16
In response to Debby Lewis

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I know where I am going to start.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I have a problem in that I love to scrap some things and other things are kind of boring to me. Like vegetables and dessert. Give me a choice and I'll eat the dessert every time.

Because I want to scrap things that are kind of dull or boring to scrap but I want to keep the memories I have to do them in order or I won't go back and do them. They will never get done.

I was scrapping pictures I really wanted to have scrapped of my granddaughter but my heart was in the Halloween pictures of her. I did them in order and saved the Halloween ones as motivation for getting the other ones done.

I'm scrapping our last vacation now and it is killing me to spring forward and scrap Transylvania and Count Dracula's castle. However, I have done family stuff I really wanted scrapped but not as exciting as the castle, and I've done other holidays and now I'm on the trip layouts and I figure I will get to the castle layouts in another month or two. But I don't jump ahead because then all I will have left are the ones that aren't as much fun to do.

In other words - the few that are really fun to do - that is my dessert!

When my husband goes through our scrapbooks he loves them all - the more mundane cities and ports and events and birthdays and holidays and outings as well as the exciting ones - so I want to do them all.

Knowing I will get to the ones I really want to do soon keeps me motivated. If I did all the ones I really wanted to do first, I wouldn't have motivation.

Does that make sense?

bonprof
Idol
bonprof

My idea is that you need to do some "warm up pages" to get you going. Pick some photos that are not super important. Do a page or two with these until you get your groove back.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

I agree - great advice!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Henri Jean

That's a great way to look at it, Henri!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

A year ago I was exactly where you are now! Only it had been 5 years for me. I eased into it by looking at pages I had done years ago. I really looked at them objectively & ended up redoing my very first page I'd ever done. After that, I was off & running.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to flwrgrl

Even if you don't scrap chronogically you can always put them in that order in the album. I agree that doing them in order is probably more productive and I try to keep up with the present year. I have many past years to catch up so I am putting several pics in the albums on plain paper or with the photo pages. At least we can look at the pictures and I can go back to scrap. (I put journal notes and memorabilia there also) This works better for me than keeping all in photo boxes.

Grouping like events is another technique I use for past photos. I have pulled out all past Christmases and will enjoy completing those by scrapping throughout Dec. It will be very festive,good memories!!! Other groups I will do: halloween, sports and fishing. I would rather do a slew of pages of the same event while I have the paper/embellishments out and this way I use my newest scrapping techiniques on old pages. When I group events I put a sheet of paper in my "real album" at the spot explaining that those pages/pictures go there. Hope that makes sense.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to wilbur

I usually scrap in groups, too. I try to do like things together.

Shayla4u
Tenant
Shayla4u
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
I love the above answers. I used to feel I was the only one who did NOT scrap chronologically. I find I do much more scrapping, and enjoy it more when I work on a project that is fun and inspiring to me at the time.

I agree with this...I have so many years of photos and memories that I like to scrapbook what is inspiring to me at the moment.

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16
In response to wilbur

• wilbur Said:
Even if you don't scrap chronogically you can always put them in that order in the album. I agree that doing them in order is probably more productive and I try to keep up with the present year. I have many past years to catch up so I am putting several pics in the albums on plain paper or with the photo pages. At least we can look at the pictures and I can go back to scrap. (I put journal notes and memorabilia there also) This works better for me than keeping all in photo boxes.

Grouping like events is another technique I use for past photos. I have pulled out all past Christmases and will enjoy completing those by scrapping throughout Dec. It will be very festive,good memories!!! Other groups I will do: halloween, sports and fishing. I would rather do a slew of pages of the same event while I have the paper/embellishments out and this way I use my newest scrapping techiniques on old pages. When I group events I put a sheet of paper in my "real album" at the spot explaining that those pages/pictures go there. Hope that makes sense.

I like this idea of grouping. I think I'll use that to do my beach trip pictures. We did a Jamaica trip this year and then 3 NC/Outer Banks trips.

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16

Awesome ideas! I can't wait to get started. I have to finish my church newsletter before I can start though. (Only have a week to finish it.) I am planning to take Saturday, August 31st to fill my power layout box so that I can scrap a page here and there when I have time. Then when I get all of those done I will plan another Saturday to fill it back up again. Right now I am getting pics together.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics