Username Post: ophthalmologist help        (Topic#1590229)
TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK

Any one here work for an ophthalmologist or maybe is one?

I just got new glasses and dang they are expensive! $237 and that was with eye insurance. Would of been $717.20 with no insurance! But, my last pair of glasses lasted 3 years so, I guess if you divide that by 3 its not too bad. But, still!! lol

What I am wondering is if all the extra's they try to sell you are worth it? Like the anti glare, which I did not get and some coating which I did get because insurance paid 100% for it.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to TraciK

I love my anti-glare coating. It makes a world of difference when driving at night. It also cuts down on reflections when in photographs. I pay extra for the anti-glare, and also for the "transitions." I like not having to switch between glasses and sunglasses, although I think I look dorky with them.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-21-13 05:28 AM
In response to Luvmyfam

I'm with Jen, the anti-glare and the transition and the progressive are all worth it.
I had anti-glare and then the next time didn't get it and missed it terribly. I have detached vitreous in both eyes and the light leaks at night are distracting enough without the extra glare from headlight. I intend to get it again the next time.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to GMFTS

I'm not really noticing any difference with out the anti glare, but I only wear my glasses to read. But, that is good to know for dh and ds. They both have it, was thinking about not getting it next time. I guess that's not an option now. lol

I do have the progressive. LOVE that!

Ds had the transition ones years ago but they seemed to always stay kind of dark. He didn't like them.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to TraciK

That seems like A LOT if insurance paid a portion of the cost. I know that the insurance only pays for the frame up to a certain amount and some frames are very costly. They always try to talk me into the edge polishing which insurance does not cover and I know the transitions is not either and was quite costly on my moms prescription.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to NMlady

And the progressive lens is not usually covered by most insurance and is usually quite costly. It is usually a lot more to get the glasses made in the shop at the dr office, I alwasys get mine done at an independent shop.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to NMlady

I just got a new pair of glasses recently... over $300.00 and they actually made a mistake and charged me a lot less by accident. The only thing mine are is progressive. I wear them at work mostly for reading.... a little for distance, but it's not bad that I can't get a long without the distance.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics