Username Post: Where to shop that wont cost me an arm and a leg?! (UK)        (Topic#1590257)
PocoRay
New Kid On the Block
PocoRay

Im not sure where to look! I brought a couple of things from my local The Works, its an all round craft store but not brilliant, I really want a good amount of scrap booking things to kick start me, and help me with my current project. The only problem is money is a tad tight. Is there any good, cheap stores that you would recommend?

Id rather not have to sell my soul in order to continue scrap booking ^_^
Also I live int he uk, but have a good internet access

Edited by PocoRay on 08-22-13 02:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to PocoRay

I think so many of us will have differing opinions. My personal favorite place is Hobby Lobby. The reason is, they have a cycle of sales where one week the paper is 50% off then the next is stickers, etc. They have 3/4 product types on sale every week. So, I don't ever pay regular price. Then there's a 40% coupon you can use on regular price stuff once a day. They also have an online store.

Guru
In response to scrapchica

If you hit the clearances at the right time you can get amazing deals and it allows you to spread your money.

I got a Sew Easy Ribbon Cutters for $5 each today and they are normally around $15 each. I have also gotten $40 12x12 albums for about $10. Both at Joann.

I don't tend to shop at Michaels anymore since our Hobby Lobby opened. One reason being they never seem to rotate inventory.

Hobby Lobby has a great clearance section. Ours fills up to the brim about once every month or two and the longer it sits the deeper the discount. I have scored many stickers for a fraction of their retail prices.

I also use coupons. HL always has a 40% off (once in a blue moon a50%) online and also their app. JoAnns and Michaels have coupons on their apps too that are sometimes only available on their apps.

PocoRay
New Kid On the Block
PocoRay
In response to ihacodb

Cheers guys ill have to check them out Ill have to look at them online as I live in the uk.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to PocoRay

I just wanted to say welcome but I do not know anywhere in UK.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to anda11

Another vote here for Hobby Lobby

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to mrsrogers52513

Do you have a Tuesday morning in your area? I just purchased a couple of paper packs (Amy Tangerine) that are regualaryly $19.99 for $6.99. They also had a couple of Cosmo Cricket kits and lots of Tim Holtz.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to PocoRay

I would edit your title and change it to "Where To Shop In The UK." Then I'll bet you'll get more responses for local stores.

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16
In response to crichards1

I vote for Hobby Lobby too. It's about the only craft store I go to now. They have an awesome selection of products and great sales.

heather375
Tenant
heather375
In response to Scrapnut16

I have gotten a lot of my stuff at Walmart....only because it's the ONLY place local that sells it. I have to drive over an hour to get to HL or Michaels or Joann's.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 08-22-13 06:51 AM
In response to heather375

Shop the clearance section here! Great deals. Don't know how shipping changes that though....

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to vawm

Of course, I have no idea what retailers are in the UK, so I can't suggest where to shop.
The superstore here is fantastic --don't know about shipping to the UK.

My advice is to always be on the lookout for bargains.

Shop sales and use coupons when/if you can.

Don't buy tools or supplies when they are first released. Wait until they appear in discount stores.

Shop thrift stores, garage/tag sales. You'll be surprised where you'll find supplies (even grocery stores).

Seek out warehouse sales.

When you find deals, stock up on things you anticipate using often (e.g. black and white cardstock), and build a little stash.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

PocoRay
New Kid On the Block
PocoRay
In response to Bxr-Linda

Cheers guys I really dont mind paying for shipping if its a good deal Iv been looking on Ebay but somethings are either really pretty but expensive or really cheap but look cack

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to PocoRay

Hi

I don't know whereabouts in the UK you are but I'm in the UK and apart from Hobby Craft I don't know of any national stores. Do you have one near you? I did look at their online facility once but it wasn't good - much better to go into the store if you can. But there were (when I used to paper scrap) quite a few good online stores. Do a simple google search and then just plough your way through the list to see which ones carry the sort of things you want

I could tell you where I used to shop online but it was a while ago and they might not exist any more!

Alternatively, sign up to a British based online forum and ask there.

Good luck!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to scrappercaz

Hi! I'm near Bristol, UK.

Try The Range, they're cheaper than Hobby Craft. Also TK Maxx and Homesense (same company) often does a small selection of papers, card-stock and clearance items for good prices. I got paper pads by American Crafts, Studio Calico and Crate from Homesense for £8 for 48 single-sided sheets a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what they would cost elsewhere, but the collection packs start at £15 for only 18 double-sided sheets and a couple of sticker pages.

PocoRay
New Kid On the Block
PocoRay
In response to RedSquirrel

I agree, the hobby craft website wasnt brillaint, im not too far from it but its a good 45min drive. Once again cheers for the help, Ill have to write down the names of these places, otherwise i will forget.
Id try a UK base forum but this site just seems so much nicer than most

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to PocoRay

In case you love flowers and laces on your projects there is a place in the UK where I get a lot of mine..the prices are great and the shipping costs are reasonable to the US so I imagine they're good for you. It is called Wild Orchid Crafts.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to PocoRay

• PocoRay Said:
I agree, the hobby craft website wasnt brillaint, im not too far from it but its a good 45min drive. Once again cheers for the help, Ill have to write down the names of these places, otherwise i will forget.
Id try a UK base forum but this site just seems so much nicer than most

We're all lovely here!

I'm on UKS as well but we're not allowed to discuss any suppliers other than the sponsors or "big box" shops. They're quite strict about it. To be honest, we're not really supposed to talk about other stores here either because they are rivals of the Superstore, but the admins here are much more relaxed and sensible. At the prices they charge, British shops aren't ever going to threaten the Superstore!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Oh and you've got The Range on City Road in Fenton, that's near you, isn't it? And TK Maxx is in Hanley, although you might have to call them to find out whether they have a crafting section. Not all the branches do.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

Hope you are able to find some places to shop!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics