Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: I DID IT!        (Topic#1590315)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

After dozens of unsuccessful tries I gave up last year on ever getting my Martha Stewart Punch around the corners to work right. Never came out even.

For some crazy reason I got a set out and played with it for a layout on an off-chance it might work. Otherwise I was going to get out my Lucky 8 punch.

The punch around the corner set worked perfectly. I even used it twice on the layout (the loopy punch) and am very happy with the results!

Veteran
In response to Henri Jean

Yay!!! Your persistence paid off - good for you. Now go to town and create away!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to SunnyAB

Yay!! Love it when things work out!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to ChansGram

Way to Go! I love it when I can get something to work that was being difficult!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

What's the secret? I am still trying to get mine right?

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to bonprof

I think the secret is LOTS of practice and making sure you're using the right size paper.

Expert
In response to crichards1

I have the same problem with Martha's around the page punches too. And it always happens right at the end!. (another opportunity to embellish!)

Glad you got one right. Sometimes it drives me nuts!

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita

WTG Henri!

Have you checked out the youtube tutorials on how to do them?

I especially like the ones by beccastamps

AuntyT
AuntyT 
Governor
AuntyT
In response to Rosita

I had the same problem, about half the time it comes out right! I can't wait to see the result!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to AuntyT

I had to practice, too. The biggest thing that helped me was to be very accurate when cutting the paper to the correct size. If you are off even a quarter of an inch.... the finished product will never look right. Thus... a great trimmer is a must when you plan to use the Martha things that go around the page. As someone else said... find a youtube video and have your supplies right next to your screen so you can work alongside the video. You can use recycled paper or plain white copy paper.

Pink Spoonbill
Diva
Pink Spoonbill
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Congrats! It just takes a couple practice tries. Can't wait to see what you create with it!!!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Congratulations! It feels great when things come out right

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Crafting Marfa

Do you think you'll be able to do it again?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel

I didn't watch the You-tube video - I'm always too impatient and want to jump in and start doing it immediately.

I thought I measured perfectly before but maybe I didn't. I used the ruler built into my Fiskar's trimmer and it came out perfect on all 4 sides.

I was so pleased with myself that I made a bigger one and it also came out perfect so I'm using them as double mats.

The layout is a picture in Toulon, France of a statue-thing in front of the gelato place of an ice cream cone with 2 scoops of ice cream.

I even found a die cut in my stash that said, "We all scream for ice cream" and that really worked with it. It's in "ice cream" colors - will glue it down at a 3 day crop Sept 6-7-8.

Now I'm going to develop pictures and will check out punches at Joanns - to see what other cute ones she has for around the corner.

The trick seems to be not to push the corner ones in too far - to stop when the paper is flush where you can see the edges of the paper but not any space around it. Then it lines up with the other punch nicely.

And it won't work if the paper isn't cut perfectly according to their dimensions.

Will be trying it again soon. Joanns had a cute rooster punch - may get that this afternoon. Don't know why. I have no need for a rooster punch. I have never needed one in the past, dont' know when I will need one in the future but he was just so darn cute!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I was so pleased that today when I went to Walgreens to have pictures printed - while they were printing I went to Hobby Lobby to buy another "around the page" set and bought 3 more sets. One was really expensive and when I looked at the instructions its not the same size paper as in the smaller sets.

The big one is called Wild Flowers and looks like it is going to be gorgeous if I can get it to work.

I had it in my cart when I noticed punches and punch sets were 40% off - I almost did a happy dance in the isle.

Instead of doing the happy dance I put two more around the page sets in my cart that looked interesting - Deco Shell and Cherish.

While I was there I found dinosaur paper which I might need someday so I bought 2 sheets, 12 packs of letters (didn't realize it until I got to the register, they were 40% off).

Halloween is coming and they had a pack with lots of black flowers so I bought two - I always need them for Halloween layouts. Also bought some really cute brads. Bought redline tape.

Got my new punches in my scrapstash app, wrote the name of each in black Sharpie on the side because Martha Stewart punches do not have the name of the punch and when people ask me what punch it is - I never know. Now I do.

Got all my new goodies put away now.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

Yay! I love the loopy one!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

I am so happy for you hon I have that problem too sometimes. :)I would feel the way you are too.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

[quote=Henri Jean One was really expensive and when I looked at the instructions its not the same size paper as in the smaller sets.

The big one is called Wild Flowers and looks like it is going to be gorgeous if I can get it to work....

Instead of doing the happy dance I put two more around the page sets in my cart that looked interesting - Deco Shell and Cherish....

Got my new punches in my scrapstash app, wrote the name of each in black Sharpie on the side because Martha Stewart punches do not have the name of the punch and when people ask me what punch it is - I never know. Now I do.

Henri Jean, I'm so glad you pointed out that the paper size is not the same in the large punches. "Wild Flowers" is on my Wish List. I love that one. I love "Cherish" too, although I don't have it either. I have the one of the butterfly punch around the pages, but that's the only punch around the page that I have. I love her layering punches. I have the butterfly in that, too.

Also wanted to say that's a great idea to put the names of the punches on them with a Sharpie. I don't know the names of mine either but will do that in the future. I don't think they make the punch around the page that I have anymore.

Edited by crichards1 on 08-25-13 03:15 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram

Love the Wild flower and Cherished ones!
Wild flower used here
hip & gorgeous By ChansGram

I cut out the size charts from the instruction's ( 1 of each ) and have that taped by my table so I always have it handy.

My other favorite PATP set is the Flourished Lace.
Beauty at its finest By ChansGram
and Double Arch (also used Cherish on this one)
My Girls By ChansGram
I find there are so many it is hard to keep them straight. I too mark the back ( I write on masking tape )or I would never be able to remember them all!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ChansGram

Thank you for the examples Trish! They are all 3 fantastic!

Carol, I have a book that has all my punches and the instruction sheet for the around the corner punches is in it. Since it is in my book I almost threw the one away from the "Wildflower" box and something just caught my eye and then I noticed the measurements were different. I almost missed it!

I didn't mark my older punches with the names and I wish I had because people sometimes ask me what they are and I can't help them because I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics