Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Just curious, is this legal?        (Topic#1590365)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

OK, so after 6 years of scrapping I have a lot of "leftover" stuff that I no longer want. I'm very short on storage space and have considered donating to a local children's hospital but have not done so for a couple of reasons. First, I feel like I should be giving them stuff they can readily use for crafts, not my "leftovers". For example, I have a lot of chipboard letter sets, but most are missing the "good" letters, so very hard to spell anything worthwhile. Or embellishment sets that are way outdated. Second, I'm not even sure who to contact at the hospital to donate. I couldn't find any info on line. I do have a lot of unused kits that were impulsive buys and plan on donating those some day.

Instead of putting my unwanted stuff in the trash, I'm thinking of placing all of it in a box and just leaving it outside my local J's or M's with a "FREE" sign. Is that even legal to do?

Edited by Mama2Thomas on 08-25-13 01:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Mama2Thomas

I'm not sure about the hospital but how about a local school?? My kids school LOVE getting my leftovers!!!!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to binkiemonstermom

Not sure about legal but the store probably wouldn't want a bunch of free stuff left on their doorstep....

I donated stuff to our local children's hospital. I just went to a surgical floor, left the items with the nurses/check-in desk. They have an activity room on the floor with crafts, books, games etc...
They took my name, address and phone number and said that a social worker would look over the stuff to make sure it was suitable (just to make sure there wasn't anything in there inappropriate, I guess).
A couple weeks later, I received a very nice thank you letter in the mail....they loved the stuff!
Some of the stuff I gave them was partially used. I think small children especially, love stickers....they don't particularly care about spelling words......

You could box it up as art supplies and donate it to your local Goodwill/Charity store as well...

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to kiyawinn

I personally wouldn't go the route of leaving it outside a store. You can just go to your local hospitals front desk, or pediatric unit and leave it with the nurse's station. I work for a hospital and my very good friend works on the pediatric unit, and they are happy to get what they can! Like a previous poster said, most the kids don't care about spelling anything, they just like to play!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to mrsrogers52513

Contact the information desk at the hospital and ask to be put in contact with someone who can help you with donations. I did this several years ago with a local children's hospital and I was surprised at all the restrictions (no glitter, nok small pieces, etc.).

I definitely would not leave a box outside of the local craft store. I don't think the craft store folks would appreciate your gesture!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Luvmyfam

I don't think I would leave it outside a store either. They are more likely to throw it away than anything. I would think a children's hospital would enjoy it. Kids really don't care when they don't feel good what the letters are. Just something to distract them.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 08-25-13 08:29 PM
In response to SherylEb

Is there a homeless shelter near you? They would also appreciate the items. Any daycare would take them too and I gave ALL my paper scrapping stuff to a local catholic school.

Veteran
In response to charK

I think that a local day care would really appreciate it....after all, who doesn't like free stuff!!!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Noelles mom

Think of it this way, if you owned a donut shop and someone set a basket of free day-old donuts outside your door, you probably wouldn't be too happy. You could always advertise it in the "free" section of Craig's List or if you have a friend or neighbor who's doing a garage sale, ask if you could just put a free basket at their sale. Schools, Day Care's, Hospitals, would all likely love to get the box.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to dwelch

Definitely do NOT leave anything outside a store. I know that at one time Michael's even threw out all their leftovers in a dumpster, rather than give them away. I was taking a crop class at that time and the organizer told me she rescued a lot of the items to keep for her class before they were dumped.

Schools are greatly in need of supplies and I suggest donating your stuff there.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-26-13 06:57 AM
In response to Solitaire

YOu could also list it on FreeCycle.

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to GMFTS

I always love the ol' saying... "One mans trash is another mans treasure!"

You can always look for a local day care center. I donated a whole bunch of stickers about a year ago. I just recently went to a community function and the lady i gave the stuff to introduced me to a 5 year old child. That child gave me the biggest hug and said "thank you!" - it almost brought tears to my eyes!!! :-)

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Fargomutt

With all due respect, are you kidding?!?!

You'd be better off to advertise it on Craigslist and leave it on your porch for free.

This would be like taking your unwanted clothing, and leaving it at the doorway to Macy's.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to Bxr-Linda

Definitely don't leave a box in front of the store. It's just going to get thrown away. And it's rude to the store. Especially if it's an LSS.

There are too many other options to give away the box. For free to someone who would use it.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
With all due respect, are you kidding?!?!

You'd be better off to advertise it on Craigslist and leave it on your porch for free.

This would be like taking your unwanted clothing, and leaving it at the doorway to Macy's.

LOL - I felt a little strange about this (that is, even considering leaving my "leftovers" at the store) and thought it was a bad idea. But I figure I'd ask anyway... at least someone might get a good laugh thinking I'm nuts

BUT... I once went to an expo and there was a vendor there that left a whole stack of alphabet stickers at the front with a "free" sign on it. I took several, even though they were pretty outdated and ugly (because who can turn down freebies?), but needless to say, I have not used one bit of it and considered trashing them.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions on donating to local daycares. I have asked my DD's daycare if they were interested and they are not. In fact I'm friends with one of the teachers there who also scraps, and she confirms that the center has no need for any scrapping items. I guess they just buy all new stuff, which is why they charge me $110 for supplies every year.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Mama2Thomas

give it to your school ours is always hunting for craft supplies.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Sneezy1956

Someone mentioned the restrictions of small items. I wonder about nursing homes. I know old people who enjoy many of the same things the little kids like, but hopefully would know not to put everything in their mouths. Most nursing homes and care centers have rooms where people make various crafts.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to mrsdriver5

The nursing home my grandma was in loved to get craft items, and they didn't have any restrictions.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsrogers52513

Another thought - I go to several crops - have a 3-day crop coming up Sept 6-7-8. There is always an 8' table in the middle of the room for everyone to put things they don't want anymore.

You bring stuff, you take stuff. Just kind of swap out so I have a bag full of partially used letters and papers I'll never use. Even some flowers and embellies that aren't my taste.

Will let my scrappy girlfriend go through it first and then set it on the free table. They get so much stuff the table is covered.

After the crop they donate the leftovers to a hospital and already have their contacts in place to give it away.

crzy4scrapbooking
Tenant
crzy4scrapbooking
In response to Henri Jean

Schools...by all means schools. My daughters are in kindergarten and they have no concern if an "e" is missing from stuff, they come home with the most random stuff and I look at it and think what the ....is this and to them it is a National Treasure and it is popsicle stick with a letter glued to it or an squiggly eye...and to them it is always some grand invention. Give it to the little ones. Just contact the school office and let them know you have stuff they will distribute to teachers for you.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics