Username Post: Catastrophe!        (Topic#1590383)
Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney

I have a mold infestation in my office - where my scrapbook supplies are! My finished scrapbooks are safe, and a lot of my stash was stored in plastic, so I'm hoping wiping them down will be good enough. But I had to throw away a lot of paper and some other supplies, including my travel scrap tote. :-(

On the bright side, several months from now when the walls and ceilings have been removed and replaced, I will move back in and organize my stash like I've always wanted to! Ok, I'm really searching for a bright side. :-)

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Frau_Cooney

Yikes....how painful!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Omgosh, you poor thing. I had this happen in my master bath and closet. So frustrating. Hopefully this won't be a total disaster and isn't if you haven't lost any of your finished work.

Good luck on the clean up. I feel for you.

If you have to toss something you really love and need...and can't find a replacement, ask on here and maybe someone will have it and can send it to you.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to CrimsonMama

In the mean time check out the hardware store for closet dry it has several other names but it's in a plastic bucket and you take the lid off and it pulls moisture from the air and into the bottom of the bucket then you just dump the water out of the bucket. It has this stuff in the top part of the bucket that wicks in moisture. I've used it for years in my one closet that has a tendency to get mold.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Sneezy1956

Oh no! That's terrible! Hope you are able to salvage most!

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney

I've never heard of this, but it is a great idea! Our basement is always a bit moist because it is very humid where we live. I'll check it out!

• Sneezy1956 Said:
In the mean time check out the hardware store for closet dry it has several other names but it's in a plastic bucket and you take the lid off and it pulls moisture from the air and into the bottom of the bucket then you just dump the water out of the bucket. It has this stuff in the top part of the bucket that wicks in moisture. I've used it for years in my one closet that has a tendency to get mold.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Oh no! I am so sorry. I'm glad your finished scrapbooks are safe! That would really be heartbreaking - its hard enough loosing totes and things.

I'm a realtor and I see "closet dry" in basements and closets and even under kitchen cupboards. It seems to work well - a lot of people use it.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-27-13 07:09 AM
In response to Henri Jean

Oh that just stinks...

however on the bright side: this gives you an opportunity to get all new stash too.

And as OP said - if you have to get rid of something you really love that is no longer available post here, I bet someone will have it and be willing to share.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to GMFTS

How awful,,,,,,

but more important even than scrapping supplies (yes, I speak heresy) is your health and safety,,,,

please don't take any chances in trying to "salvage" your stuff,,,,,,,if in doubt,,,,,THROW IT OUT.

Better to lose your favorite paper than your health! (You can always buy more paper!)

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to CommaHolly

You are absolutely right, CommaHolly. Health is the most important thing. I did save some paper, but any paper that was loose with a lot of surface area exposed, or not packaged in plastic had to go. :-( Everything I saved I will check out again before attempting to use it to see if there is anything visible on it. If there is, out it will go. I won't be scrapping for a while because of this, so that will let me have a chance to evaluate the paper again after some "growing time".

• CommaHolly Said:
How awful,,,,,,

but more important even than scrapping supplies (yes, I speak heresy) is your health and safety,,,,

please don't take any chances in trying to "salvage" your stuff,,,,,,,if in doubt,,,,,THROW IT OUT.

Better to lose your favorite paper than your health! (You can always buy more paper!)

melissadam
Angel
melissadam

I used damp rid when my scrap room was in the basement and we use it at our cottage as well .....it really helps cut down on dampness

sorry this happened to you

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to melissadam

Damp rid was the other name I was trying to think of. I knew it had another name

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

AWFUL! So sorry!!! Hope it works out soon.

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to scrapchica

It's funny how not being able to scrapbook right now (because the room is off limits) makes me obsessed with scrapbooking! I am turning that energy to learning how to use my new camera so I will have plenty to scrap when the room is fixed. :-)

Thanks for all the sympathy and kind comments!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics