Username Post: New Here        (Topic#1590395)
New Kid On the Block

Hi there,

I just signed up for sb.com and wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get started. I have been scrapbooking for ten years but have not been a member of a forum for a very long time. Any tips?

Veronica J

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to veronicajamieson

first of all WELCOME! you'll like it here.

it has been my experience that when i place an order i use USPS shipping. your order will get to you in at least two days. that's ,of course, if you're like me and can't wait to get my goodies.

otherwise have fun and again welcome

BJscrapsalot
Governor
BJscrapsalot
In response to cescrapper

hello there and welcome!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to BJscrapsalot

Welcome. Glad to have you here!

The main tip I can give you is not to go out and try to buy out the local scrapbook store the first day.

If you want to try stamping, buy one stamp and ink pad and see if you are actually going to enjoy and use stamps. Same for journaling pens, glitter, Copics, punches, and everything else. Go easy on buttons, embellies, stickers and other supplies. When you find which items you will use a lot, then build up a bit of a stash.

Look at the gallery for ideas You won't know your style until you actually start making pages. I love some of the really pretty fancy pages but no matter how much I love them, that is not my style and I don't enjoy trying to make them. My style is clean and simple.

Don't buy supplies just because they are on sale. You will end up with a lot of things you will never use and will end up in a garage sale. I'd rather buy one punch or item at full price that I will use and enjoy rather than several sale items that just sit on the shelf and take up space.

My criteria is "Do I love it enough that I would buy it if it were not on sale?"

Lastly - Joanns, Hobby Lobby and Michaels all have great phone apps if you have a smart phone and their coupons are usually 40% off - sometimes 50% off an item. Use that for expensive items.

And - have fun scrapping and remember that the supplies multiply when you aren't looking!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-27-13 07:02 AM
In response to Henri Jean

You have already started off well by introducing yourself.

Now just jump in on any thread that looks interesting to you.
Peruse the gallery and when you see projects you like add them to your favorites. Start following artists whose work you like. Leave comments on the projects. We all love to get feedback.

Post your own work.

Join challenges.

Tell us more about you.

WELCOME! This is a great site for learning and sharing our craft.

bbarthej
Veteran
bbarthej
In response to GMFTS

Welcome!
Remember to always have fun! Don't overwhelm yourself or compare your work with what everyone else is doing... just do you!
Feel free to ask questions... you will learn so much from others experiences.

Debby Lewis
Expert
Debby Lewis
In response to bbarthej

Welcome!

Enjoy what you do. Scrapbook.com has a free today class on Learn to Scrapbook. http://www.scrapbook.com/classes/learntoscrapb ook.php They also have videos that will help with specific techniques.

Good Luck and welcome to the wonderful world of scrapbooking.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Debby Lewis

Hi and welcome.

I would just say poke around the site and see what you find. Some functions are accessible from several different areas, which is useful.

If you have any questions about how to use the site, just ask. People are really friendly and helpful.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

• veronicajamieson Said:
Hi there,

I just signed up for sb.com and wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get started. I have been scrapbooking for ten years but have not been a member of a forum for a very long time. Any tips?

Veronica J

I think basically you just have to "poke around and learn" as someone else said. One of the most helpful things I've found on this site is the color matching feature. For instance, if you find paper that you're interested in, there are colors to the left. Click on that and you can find coordinating papers.

It sounds like you've got many years of scrapbooking behind you, but looking at the different layouts in the gallery is a good way to find inspiration.

Welcome!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to crichards1

Welcome!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to crichards1

Welcome!

Kel3 loves animals
Mayor
Kel3 loves animals
In response to mrsrogers52513

Hi welcome to the site. I took a couple year break from hear just popping in from time to time. this site is great for ideas and everyone is very helpful.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kel3 loves animals

Glad you are back Kelly!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Henri Jean

Welcome back!

New Kid On the Block
In response to cescrapper

Thanks so much. It took me a few days to figure out how to reply to everyone's tips. I so need practice with my computer.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

Glad you figured it out!

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny

Hi and welcome! This is a great site, and I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful and useful information, as well as interesting conversations. Don't forget to check out the Articles in the Resources section of the site. There's a new one every weekday.

Have fun!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Scrapjanny

Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to check out the weekly article.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics