Username Post: Hi I'm new here with a silly question        (Topic#1590413)
New Kid On the Block

Hello My name is Meghan, and I'm new to scrap booking. I am going through the tutorials offered by this web site, and noticed that my supplies should be acid free. I was checking through my cardstock, and stickers etc, when I noticed some say they are acid free, while others do not. I am wondering if it is important that the tags and stickers state that they are acid free on the packaging. Thank you so much for your help!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to meghanl

Welcome!

I would say it's pretty important, but it's really a personal preference. I only buy things that are acid free.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to mrsrogers52513

Hi. Welcome

Some people use only acid-free, and others use whatever is on hand. I tend to land somewhere in the middle. Not everything in my scrapbook supply collection is acid-free. I am careful to use acid-free items with photos that cannot easily be replaced or duplicated. Otherwise, I don't worry about it too much.

However.....as Mrs. Rogers stated, it's a good thing to buy only acid-free. That's what I do, but sometimes I see shiny, pretty things at the dollar store and totally forget about the acid-free rule

Edited by Luvmyfam on 08-28-13 07:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Luvmyfam

I'm going to clarify my statement. I buy only acid-free things for my scrapbooks. For cards and other projects, I buy what I like. If it doesn't say if it is acid-free, I keep those things separate so I know not to use them in my scrapbooks. I, like Jen and many others, cannot refuse something sparkly, shiny, glittery, or pretty.

New Kid On the Block
In response to mrsrogers52513

This is great info! Thank you both so much for your responses I love the idea of storing the acid free supplies separate from the others!

ljstout
Tenant
ljstout
In response to meghanl

Hello! I am new to this site too, A good tip if you don't use acid free is to just make sure you have copies of the photo's you are using. That way if something does happen to it later on, at least you had a nice layout while it lasted but you will still have your original photo's.

CMATam
CMATam 
New Kid On the Block
CMATam
In response to ljstout

I didn't double check my supply and used "bad" paper in an album, LONG time ago....The pics actually turned/tinted the color of the paper underneath. YIKES!

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to CMATam

Most things nowadays that are sold in sb stores or sb sections of a store are usually acid free anymore. Though I haven't seen these in a long time, when I first started scrapping I had bought a pen that tested the acid in paper.

The marking would change color if the paper acid in it. I am more careful with old heritage photos, and layouts that I made to be handed down for generations to come. However I try not to worry about it to much. Newspaper articles are very high in acid content so I never scrap them on the same page as a photo. If I want to use it with a photo then I will scan the newspaper and print it on scrapbook paper.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics