Username Post: Sobriety Card?        (Topic#1590431)
mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

Hey all, I need some advice. A childhood friend of mine was recently released from prison for robbing 2 pharmacies and being in possession of drugs and all that stuff. He was a heroin addict and is going to be coming up on 3 years sober. It's a very sad situation, and I know how some people feel about "addicts" and "recovery" and all of that, but that's not the point of my question. My question is that I want to make him a nice card with a nice personal message inside to celebrate his 3 years sober. It's not the personal message I need help with, lol, I got that covered. I'm just struggling on an idea to get started with. I was thinking about something with a rainbow, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate? Help me.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to mrsrogers52513

Maybe you could do something about maybe finding happiness (the pot at the end of the rainbow). Like each color of the rainbow coming out of the pot like a ray of sunshine w/ a line of your message in each one.

I hope it doesn't sound corny but maybe a reminder of all the progress he's made is just what he needs to keep himself sober, healthy and happy.

Good luck w/ your card

bonprof
Governor
bonprof

People who get clean and sober are walking, talking miracles!! I think it's wonderful that you are making this card. Use uplifting words like miracle, hope, Promises come true, joy..etc.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to bonprof

Maybe a finish line ribbon? Or a long road and he's at the top of the hill?

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to scrapchica

Thanks for all the great ideas and support! He is really doing wonderful and I'm SO SO proud of him. He just seems like a whole different person...even though we weren't in contact when he was abusing and doing terrible things, I can just tell he has changed. He is doing campaigns in our area for anti-heroin, which is becoming a growing problem in our small community, unfortunately. It's just sad - his father killed himself while he overdosed on heroin, and I just want to support him in every way I can and let him know that he can stop the cycle here and now.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

That's great of you to make the card- my cousin, who is more like my little sister than a cousin, is a recovering heroin addict. I can't imagine how hard it is, but I can tell it's hard beyond my comprehension. She and I have always proudly claimed to be the black sheep of the family, and support and take care of each other.

Since I don't know his personality, I can't think of any inspiration- but to show you how different people are- my cousin enjoys cards like a wrecked car and a message like, "Since you're not nodding off on heroin anymore, we can't blame this one on you...so congratulations on another year!"

-kory k

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to designguyKORY

you can always count on Kory to make you chuckle!

How about birds, trees, footsteps? Each of these designs have powerful meanings...

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Juansmom

Your friend is fortunate to have you on his side.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to pinkpaperairedale

You guys have such amazing ideas! I'll be sure to let you know what I come up with

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

No judgement here I know how hard it can be for someone to do that. I could only think of something to represent strong..like weights or a weightlifter. It takes huge amounts of strength to get where he is.

Cricutgirlg
Guru
Cricutgirlg
In response to anda11

Great ideas! How about a daisy or another type of flower. A single daisy makes me think of sunshine and promises of a brighter future. Good luck with the card.

bj9268 
Resident

Remaining clean and sober is an every day struggle. What came to mind was a picture of a walking path or trail with the message, "Congratulations on your continued journey to remaining clean and sober". Just a suggestion.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to bj9268

I think the fact that you are thoughtful enough to make him one will be the thing that makes him happy. Lots of good ideas. What makes you happy?

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to 950nancy

I think it is wonderful of you to make him a card and fantastic for him to have gotten to this point. I don't have any inspiration but I just wanted to say that its an incredible thing for him to do

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to CorrieW

Thanks, Corrie. He talks a lot about how he's not recovered - it's a struggle everyday, and everyday he has to fight for it. So I think I'm going to go something along the lines of his continuing fight to overcome his addiction, but haven't really decided what yet. Been working too much to be able to get anything done - darn work!

crzy4scrapbooking
Tenant
crzy4scrapbooking

All of the responses seem very heavy.. the long road, the mountain and uphill climb, etc. Maybe leave all of that for the personal note and go with something lighter and fun, he knows the battle and the road ahead will be long and hard, he does not need to be reminded of it all the time, I kind of like what Kory said...something funny and humorous.

Good luck to him!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to crzy4scrapbooking

You have a good point. I think that's why I was originally thinking about something with a rainbow...bright, colorful, and cheery. I still haven't had much time to figure it all out yet, I'm sure I won't figure it out until the last minute...lol

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

Since it is for a male, I would go with something manly... maybe a trail in some woods, a forest scene. The sun rising over the ocean to symbolize a new day or since he states it's a fight everyday, a pair boxing gloves or a boxing ring.

Whatever you choose, it would be great to see the finished project!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to t-scraps

You'll see it when it's done! Which needs to be ASAP, his rebirth date, as he calls it is in 5 days! I always wait until the last minute...

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics