Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Storing ribbon NOT on a spool        (Topic#1590453)
KAR49
KAR49 
Tenant
KAR49
  • KAR49 on 08-29-13 07:44 AM

Most of the beautiful ribbons sold online don't come in spools.........does anyone have any good ideas to store pieces of ribbon 1-5 yards. I've tried jars, but I'd need a ton of them. I have a great ribbon holder, but only for spools....

Thank you
Kathleen

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-29-13 08:03 AM
In response to KAR49

Yes!
A scrappy friend whom I crop with annually showed me her ribbon storage that I thought was genius.

She wrapped the ribbon around 3X5 file cards and then had them stored upright in a snap-lid storage container. They were sorted by color family too - I have that project on my to-do list too.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to GMFTS

This is what I use.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Luvmyfam

And..........they are both discontinued! Let's try this again....

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Luvmyfam

And, some of those are discontinued! If you search for "ribbon storage" in the store, you will see many options, both for spools and no spools.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Luvmyfam

Another vote for wrapping them around cards and them storing them in a bin.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to mrsrogers52513

I think that Silhouette just recently suggested cutting a ribbon holder out of acrylic plastic and using that to store everything. They had kind of an "H" shape (except of course wider in the center). I don't know if you have access to any cutting machines but I thought the idea was really neat because you could make them whatever size you wanted.

I just looked (can't find a good link though) and they have other shapes too. And chipboard could also be used.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to KatieJo

I like using a piece I have cut out of a sturdy corrugated cardboard box. That way it helps it stay slightly lifted off the cardboard (due to the ridges). Than you can put those pieces into a decorative photo box or clear tub as others have mentioned. I use my Fiskars Cuts n More scissors to cut the cardboard.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Oh that's a good idea!

Eager to Scrap
Veteran
Eager to Scrap
In response to GMFTS

Sounds GREAT. I will try this. Thanks

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Eager to Scrap

I saw on someone's Facebook that they got those longer old fashioned clothespins from HL, I also saw them at Michaels today...and they wrapped them around those and put them in a jar for display.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

I took a cue from a LSS and bought a package of 3"x3" tiny zip lock bags at Michaels. You can buy a pack of 100 or more for just a few dollars (and use your 40% off coupon). I rolled up my ribbon pieces and put each one in it's own little zip lock bag and then tossed them in a basket. Easy to see what you have. No tangled ribbons. It made me feel very organized! And I can re-use the bags when I use the ribbon that is in them!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to dsouza

Good idea!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I made my own ribbon bag for taking to crops. It really does work. The rest of my ribbon collection is in clear plastic takeaway containers, and that works for me too.

Ribbon bag By RedSquirrel

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I like to have keep as much out in my line as sight as possible so I did this using the Simply Renee clips.

Fot the extra long ribbon I will fold it in 1/2 or 14 and pinch the ends together.

Simply Renee Clips By Lauri D

Edited by Lauri D on 09-18-13 06:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

DianaGail
Tenant
DianaGail
In response to Lauri D

Mine are all wrapped around old spools and displayed in a big divided trinket box I hang on the wall. I can see them all.

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to DianaGail

This is how I am storing mine right now. The tower looking thing to the left of my pens. It is those square snap together containers, they usually come 3 together. I can add to it any time, and they are organized by color family. Seems to be working so far.

http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to lifethroughalens

I've seen someone use those interlocking rings you would get at office supply stores. Imagine a big O shape, that opens and closes. you just wrap it around on one end and let it hang down. Then, hang the O's on hooks. I think that's what I'm going to try. I'm not a huge fan of spools.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to aubrieannie

I use the embroidery floss cards and wrap my ribbon around those. Then I use the large size wide mouth canning jars and sort by color.

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/122083/view /3859737/...

Picture of my jars

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to scrapchica

I love the 3x5 card and ziploc bag ideas! I tried the embrodiery floss cards, but I have some really wide ribbon, and I found that those didn't work that well for me. What I might try is blank business cards like you can get at Staples to print your business cards.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics