Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Crop Challenged        (Topic#1590671)
Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16

So I have never, ever been to a crop and am considering doing one this month at my local scrapbook store. Since I have never been I have no idea what to bring. I have a rolling tote I will use as well as another organizer I can keep on the table with all my tools and such. Any suggestions??? Do you preplan LO's and just put them together there? Do you take all of your pp and cs with you and plan there? Help!!!! I'm a little overwhelmed!

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to Scrapnut16

I've only been to a couple. They don't have any here so I started going to some in the city.

I put together page kits. For example.....

** Pictures of my daughter with her horse. Papers & embellishments to match - put them in a clear folder (gallon ziplock might work too).

** Pictures of my daughter with her first car - papers & emblishments to match.

I packed staple items like white cardstock, adhesive, misc tools, pens, etc. I also took extra cardstock & embellishments that I use a lot.

For the All day one, I took things to help organize my work space. For the shorter one at Archiver's I didn't take as much.

Some ladies on here recommended a wagon. I got one like theirs' and love it. I can take everything in one trip to/from the car. However, last time I didn't have anywhere to park it out of everyone's way & had to take it back to the car.

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to 4tgrfans

For a one-day crop, I would definitely plan out pages, or at least go through my pictures and try to grab papers/embellies that would work well with them. But try not to bring my whole stash.

If it is at a store, you can certainly buy things that might work well with your layouts. Also, find out what tools will be available to you from the store so you don't bring duplicates.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Frau_Cooney

How many LOs would you normally be able to complete in that amount of time at home? I always find that I can't manage anything like the same amount of work at a crop as I do at home. I'm too busy listening to, and participating in the conversations, and walking round admiring other people's work, and sharing tools and ideas.

I'm a slow scrapper so I wouldn't normally manage more than 2 or 3 LOs a day at home. At a crop I'm even less productive.

What I'm coming down to is definitely pre-plan; make page-kits, sketches, cut titles, and do any wet stuff like Stickles either in advance or when you get home, because if it doesn't dry before you have to pack up, you risk ruining it. Only take the amount of pages you think you can complete in the time, plus one or two in case you get stuck or change ideas. That way you'll limit the amount of stuff you bring, the packing and unpacking.

I wish I could take my own advice!

You're lucky that it's at a store, so if you forgot your glue dots or run out of adhesive, you can always buy more. Good luck, and have a wonderful time. Cropping is not only about scrapping, it's about making new friends. Enjoy yourself!

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to RedSquirrel

Personally, I avoid crops. For me, it's just too much of a hassle to do all that pre-planning because that is not my forte.

I do; however, recommend that you do just take what you need instead of everything.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to t-scraps

I always bring my essentials (adhesives, trimmer, scissors, ruler, xacto knife pens, etc.). For my layouts I do a combination of things:

I quickly select photos, papers and embellies and put them together to work on.

When I'm at a store, I will bring photos and sketches. I'll buy what I need as I go.

If I have a project (mini-album, altered item, themed album), I'll bring it. A project is the easiest thing for me to work on at a crop.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Luvmyfam

I would bring your essentials, and then you can put kits together. If you have pictures, then you can pick out what papers and embellies are possible to use with those and put them in a kit and work from there.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to mrsrogers52513

It depends on how long your crop is. If it is a one night crop- don't take Tons. I know as a scrapper that is hard.
I go to a weekend retreat and take it ALL!!! And I mean ALL!!! I have it down to a science now and really it isn't that much. It is a fun LONG weekend!
If you can get an idea of what you want to work on and go with that, you can get a good idea of how much room you will have. Some crops have tons of room and others are very tight.

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16

• RedSquirrel Said:
How many LOs would you normally be able to complete in that amount of time at home? I always find that I can't manage anything like the same amount of work at a crop as I do at home. I'm too busy listening to, and participating in the conversations, and walking round admiring other people's work, and sharing tools and ideas.

I'm a slow scrapper so I wouldn't normally manage more than 2 or 3 LOs a day at home. At a crop I'm even less productive.

What I'm coming down to is definitely pre-plan; make page-kits, sketches, cut titles, and do any wet stuff like Stickles either in advance or when you get home, because if it doesn't dry before you have to pack up, you risk ruining it. Only take the amount of pages you think you can complete in the time, plus one or two in case you get stuck or change ideas. That way you'll limit the amount of stuff you bring, the packing and unpacking.

I wish I could take my own advice!

You're lucky that it's at a store, so if you forgot your glue dots or run out of adhesive, you can always buy more. Good luck, and have a wonderful time. Cropping is not only about scrapping, it's about making new friends. Enjoy yourself!

If nothing is preplanned I can only manage 2 or 3 layouts. This past Saturday I did 7 in the same amount of time and they were all preplanned.

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I am definitely thinking that preplanning and making page kits in advance is the way to go. The crop I am hoping to join is on Sep 20th so that will give me 2 weeks to plan. I am nervous and it's out of my comfort zone (I tend to be shy around strangers) but I would really like to meet other people who like to scrapbook. None of my friends do.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I love to go to crops!

At home I design my pages, pick paper, cardstock, do punchwork and if title is done on Cricut or Slice I do that at home. (On Cricut I lift the title with drywall tape so I can just glue and put it down without having to space the letters evenly again) or if its on the Slice I just put them in an envelope.

I print my journaling in the exact size and shape and on the paper I'm going to use. If its on velum I print that in advance.

Then I have a file for each layout with paper, cardstock, a rough sketch of how it will look with a marks for flowers, brads, eyelets etc. as well as all embellies.

Then it takes from 5 minutes to put together a simple layout and for complex ones it's taken oven an hour for some. Most seem to average at 10-15 minutes. I've come home from weekend crops with 35 pages done and I've come home with as many as 70 pages once.

If the page is going to require punchwork I do that before I go to the crop because I don't want to take punches - I want the load to be as light as possible.

I take plenty of tape for my ATG, my plastic ruler, Crop-o-dile and everything I need in my wagon.

There was one crop where my wagon didn't fit but they let me put it in the stockroom during the crop so it worked. I like it better when I can work out of my wagon because its a good height behind my chair to reach things.

I take plenty of extra black cardstock (I buy it in packages) because most of my mats are black. Sometimes I cut my mats before I go and sometimes I cut mats at the crop.

When I get to the crop I don't want to have to think about what I'm doing. I just want to put layouts together and move to the next one and go home with lots of new pages.

I have a 3 day crop this weekend and I think I have about 80 pages now to put together. If I get the 3 done today for Ajaccio, Corsica (Home of Napolean Bonaparte), I'll take them tomorrow to glue.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to Henri Jean

So glad Henri chimed in with her advice, as well as everyone else!!! Just listen to her... She's the professional cropper here!! Definitely DO NOT bring it all- you'll never use it! Preplanning and/or kits is the way to go. Also, just because u r in a store DOES NOT MEAN YOU SPEND YOUR TIME SHOPPING FOR SUPPLIES! You can shop anytime, just not when u have paid for crop space/time! This advice excludes the emergency run for more adhesive or a special embelly you must have. Most other people will have overpacked, and will prob let you borrow a punch or a whatnot...

Have a GREAT TIME!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Juansmom

So true Chris! I do have to admit, when I get to a crop at a store I always say, "I have to look around first to see what is new" and then I make a quick run-around so I won't be distracted by all the new stuff when I'm cropping. Otherwise curiosity would kill me! But I don't spend time doing serious shopping - I'm there to crop! But I have to peek at the new stuff.

This weekend I'm packed - no paper or cardstock unless I know I need it (except black, I always need more black for mats), no sticker letter sets because if I need them, the package will be in the file with the layout. No punches - punches are done. No Cricut or Slice - work on those is done and with the appropriate layouts.

Am taking chalk because I will chalk the edges of all my photos when I get there.

I'm taking 6 spare rolls of ATG tape, 3 in-the-package new glue pens, scissors, tweezers and tools like that as well as my trimmer and plastic ruler.

I also loaded up on papers and things I don't want anymore and those will go on the swap table so I will get to come home with some new stuff!

I'm keep my crop wagon ready to go so I don't have any packing to do when its crop time. I put my projects in a tall plastic container with 12 x 12 hanging files to work on.

If someone calls me and wants to go to a crop in a minutes notice I only have to get me ready. Everything else is good to go at all times.

I keep duplicate trimmer, ruler, scissors, detail scissors, tweezers, ATG, small xyron, glue eraser and almost everything in my crop wagon.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

I'm cropping on Saturday and I haven't even thought about what I'm packing yet.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Have fun at your crop Rosie! Mine is Friday night, all day Saturday and then part day Sunday.

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16

Okay...what is a crop wagon? Are there any pics posted somewhere that I can look at? I do have a Crop-in-Style rolling tote that I have my basic supplies in (trimmers, pens, power layout box, etc) and I roll it out from our spare bedroom (also known as my scraproom) to the dining room table so I can have more room. Is this wagon similar to that?

I think I may bite the bullet and go sign up for the crop I want to participate in either tomorrow or Saturday. You guys have me excited to go. I can spend the next two weeks planning more layouts.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan

Check out Henri's gallery under scraproom for the wagon.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to corrie fan

Thanks Jane!

This is it - where I crop several of us have these. If there is room they park right behind our chairs and we can get to our stuff really easily and its not a floor level.

My Little Red Craft Wagon By Henri Jean

At home it stays packed like this for crops - just ready to pull. The tall thing on the back right with blue handles holds 12 x 12 papers so that is my project file to be worked on at the crop.

When I get to the car I unload the 4 large containers and the wagon collapses like an umbrella. When I get there I pop it open and put my big containers back in.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I love crops and love everyone's ideas. I agree, the more organized you are, the better. I have a 14 hr crop 9/21 and then a retreat in the mountains 12/5. Can't wait. Yay

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to bonprof

Henri, I wish I could be as organized as you!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics