Username Post: What's new? 3-4 years out of the scrapbook loop! Help?        (Topic#1590727)
Resident

I have discovered that my beloved Slice isn't sold anymore, and neither are the Stampin' Up Stampin' Spots I love. Just saw the news on CM, too. What else?
I'm a very basic scrapper, and am getting even more basic. I'm recently divorced, and live in a one bedroom apartment with my 12 year old daughter (as cramped as you can imagine). In a couple of months we can put in for a two bedroom, but even then we have to wait until one becomes available. So, I'm looking to consolidate. I went back to my ex's a couple of weeks ago and brought my many boxes of scrapbooking supplies he had been holding in a closet for me. Everything is now on my brick fireplace. o_O
BUT...I want news on Slice/Cricut type machines, trimmers, albums, cardstock...even journaling pens, if there is anything new there!

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16
In response to Erin in Okc

I'm just coming back after 3 years and am finding out the they retired a bunch of Cuttlebug stuff and that the pens I like have been discontinued. It's like starting all over again isn't it?

Resident
In response to Scrapnut16

Yes, it is, Susan! Except this time I really am just keeping it simple. I want to know where to buy my journaling pens and albums, adhesive and cardstock. Actually, that's how I started out.

By the way, what do you write? I write romance.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

Hi Erin! There are several of us OKCers here on sb.com, you should join our little group! I am a relatively simple scrapper too, I don't do any of the really artistic pages like most of my scrappy friends. I would suggest looking at M's or HL, locally. There are several local scrapbook stores around here too, they carry a lot of newer stuff if you're interested in stuff like that!

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16

• Erin in Okc Said:
Yes, it is, Susan! Except this time I really am just keeping it simple. I want to know where to buy my journaling pens and albums, adhesive and cardstock. Actually, that's how I started out.

By the way, what do you write? I write romance.

I write mostly poetry right now. But I like to write Christian romance. I wrote one novel during National Novel Writing Month...that was about 2 years ago and I am still afraid to read it.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

Welcome back. It seems that items come 'in' and then 'out'. Electronic cutters are in and the Silhouette (Cameo) seems to be the most liked as you don't have to buy cartridges to get one image.. your computer hooks up to the machine and you can use free items off internet or buy the image you wish; cheaply. I have a Cricut Expressions and haven't bought a cartridge in a year.. got too expensive. They have a program called Cricut Craft Room that hooks your Cricut to your computer and then you can design and cut using your cartridges you own which you have linked to your computer.

Look for a Local Scrap store near you. I do buy a lot of supplies here on this site. Love the We R Memory 3 ring albums.

I'd guess you are looking at the gallery. A fad right now is to use one pic and a lot of embellishments. Remember "sticker sneeze" syndrome? some call the new style "flower sneeze".
It's all good though as this hobby has room for all styles and none are bad.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sunnydi

I have a Slice and I love it. Michaels doesn't sell them anymore but as far as I know, they are still out there unless I missed something. If something happens to mine I plan to replace it.

I neglected my Cricut and didn't use it but now I'm in love with it now that I've discovered the free Cricut Craftroom. They even download free cartridges into my account - the one they gave me today is adorable.

I have about 14 cartridges but there is only 1 more that I really want and will buy. With all the free cartridges they give you I am fine with 14. However, many of my friends have the Silhouette or Cameo and love them.

Thinking about a Cameo but since rediscovering my Cricut with the Craft Room I have decided to stay with it.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

What’s new in the last 3 years… the first thing that comes to mind is a lot of “wet” products; mists, pearl liquid, fancy inks, and so on. It’s been very “distressing” these last few years.
That was a little scrapbooking joke.

Resident
In response to Gelidy Gelato

haha! I liked your distressing joke!

Henri Jean, I'm SO excited to hear about the Cricut Craftroom! I don't have a cricut, but the idea of not having cartridges is appealing. Not just to save money, but I really have no space. If I knew how to take a picture of my supplies sitting on my fireplace, I would share it. My mother said the man refinishing the little bookcase I bought will be picking it up this weekend, so that will help when that's done. It'd 12 inches deep, about 36 inches wide, two good sized shelves. That will help, but it won't be enough. And I don't want to hog every spare inch of space in the apartment. My daughter has her own stuff she wants to bring over, and I've placed a ban on her bringing much else, because at the house she has an entire room. We share a room here. I had to break my own ban to bring my stuff over, but I just felt like I needed to give my ex his closet space back.

Tanya, cool that there are OKCers here! Feel free to pm me. How do you guys get together, etc?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

You do use your own cartridges with the craft room but they do sell them digitally for craft room cheaper and they do give you a lot. About 12-14 of the ones I use are my own but there are so many free images - I just don't need to buy more unless there is something I really want or need.

I did go a little crazy and purchase the digital Theresa Collins season with all her holiday stuff on it - I think it is a craft room exclusive but that one was pricey!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Henri Jean

I splurged and bought the new Anna Griffin Christmas cartridge before I discovered the wonders of the Cricut Craft Room. I've downloaded it now to the CR and it does have some gorgeous cuts, so no harm done, I guess. I did laugh with my husband (who is a computer techie by trade) that now I needed a new lap top as I will constantly be using it with the CCR everytime I sit down to scrapbook! I have 18 cartridges and I really can't see me buying new ones now either with the free ones you get with the CCR.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dsouza

It felt good to box up and pack away all my cartridges because I don't need them with the craftroom. Gave me more room in my scraproom for other stuff!

Belldandy
Pro
Belldandy
In response to Henri Jean

Its funny, Ive been out of the loop for about three years too. I just dont have the money for all the nice machines but I do have a ton of stuff I need to start using. Ive recently moved myself out of a one bdroom appt that I too shared with my mother (for almost two YEARS). We bought a house finally and now i have my own bathroom AND bedroom...lol... I wanna just scream FREEEEDOM at the top of my lungs! So I totally understand your situation of being in one bdroom and sharing one bathroom. God bless you!

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68
In response to Belldandy

I wish I could tell you. I'm in a similiar boat. I have done almost nothing for 2 years but recently started back up again. Slowly but surely. I don't even know what the current trends are and my new stuff is probably very dated as I can't buy new stuffs atm.

I used to do a ton of design teams and challenges for fun. My computer blew and I was unable to interact with other scrappers and my mojo plummeted as a result. once I got back up and running everyone seemed to have passed me by... Plus I went thru a problemaatic pregnancy and depression afterwards.

I'm going to try to do something tonight. Looking thru the gallery at all the beauty seems to be helping spark the desire to scrap

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to HerHighness68

Belldandy and Herhighness (great names!) - Don't be discouraged! Just hop back on the scrapbook wagon with the supplies you have and have fun! I've seen articles in scrapbook magazines that challenge the reader to make layouts using the supplies they have on hand and I think that's an excellent idea! Some things may have changed, but much in the scrapbooking world is ever lasting. Find a picture or two that really speaks to you and have fun tapping back into your creativity! It will be one of the most therapeutic things you can do. Let us know how it goes! Blessings . . .

Veteran
In response to dsouza

I have started scrapping again after taking a hiatus to quilt for a while. I think the Cricut Craft Room is the greatest thing since sliced bread! I have linked my 72 cartridges and they are now packed up in a box in the closet. It is wonderful being able to cut things from more than one cartridge at a time. It is also easy to cut things that have several layers because of the way the mat is set up on your computer screen. The thing I've found now is that there are fewer pictures and more frou-frou! That's fine by me. I've been using the Cricut Flower Shoppe cartridge all week and have a box full of assorted flowers just waiting for that perfect layout!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Mimiof123

How clever, Mimiof123! I've been tempted to get that flower cartridge and now I may just do it! 72 cartridges! Wow! I agree that the Cricut Craft Room is just about the best thing Cricut has come out with! It just makes the whole process so much easier. And I'm lovin' the fact that they seem to sneak in some freebies every now and then and add them to your collection!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to dsouza

I took about 3 years off a while back and it did me an amazing amount of good. Just start with your old stuff and find some new stuff like embellishments to add to it or a new piece of paper you love. I sat down last night and did a layout that had old bg and My Minds eye on it and added some of the newer stuff and loved the way it turned out.

This is the best way to use your old and still get a few new things in your album and also relearn your style which is what I've been trying to do.

Resident
In response to Sneezy1956

Belldandy, I am so happy for you to have more space now! I don't necessarily want a ton of space. I'm enjoying my cozy space right now. But I am looking forward to my daughter having her own room. When my ex and I decided to split, there were no two bedrooms available and I had to take a one bedroom. The man I spoke to said, "You could just take a one bedroom and switch when two bedroom is available!" Then, I find out that I can't switch until having been here for six months. :/ The six months will be up soon, and that will be a big help.

crystalmorse
Guru
crystalmorse

There is a facebook group "Will Craft For Supplie". They challenge you to use up what you have. And they give you little prompts on what to do and they give you little weekly challenges.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics