Username Post: Scrapbook Stores        (Topic#1590735)
crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

We don't have a LSS. We have a Hobby Lobby, A.C. Moore, Michael's and JoAnn's. I'm always so frustrated that they don't carry the nice double sided patterned paper that Scrapbook.com carries. They also don't carry many flowers or other embellishments like I can find here. They carry some but don't have a lot of choices. I really don't understand why they don't carry these items. I do buy from them, of course. In fact, I buy a lot from them. This does frustrate me though. I was wondering if local scrapbook stores carry these items.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to crichards1

Yes, local scrapbook stores carry the double sided paper you refer to and usually carry a nice supply of flowers and embellishments. Unfortunately, these local stores are harder and harder to find. They are really struggling across the nation. In Central Arkansas, one of our last family owned stores is closing this month. They just can't compete with the big box stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby and on-line stores. I prefer to patronize local businesses, but thank goodness for sites like Scrapbook.com! I am now hooked on on-line shopping for my scrapbook supplies. If you can't beat 'em - join 'em! If you have a locally owned scrapbook store in your area, my recommendation is to support them with as much business as you can throw their way. Trust me, they need it just to survive!

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to dsouza

Dsouza, thanks for your reply. I wish I could support a LSS. I prefer to buy locally, too. We don't have one. We did have one, but it closed several years ago. I was just curious as to whether they carried these items. I didn't know if people usually always had to shop online to get them.

Edited by crichards1 on 09-07-13 08:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

We have an A's and a LSS. Both carry great papers. I have found that M's does carry some of the lines that I like double sided in stacks by Recollections. There are 4 HL around me and (45 min) and one of them carries great papers, the other three do not. The colors are slightly different than the original papers.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

The local scrapbook store around here closed about six months ago, but I'm okay with that - it was not well run, it seemed like there was rarely new product coming in, the owner had poor business sense, if you went in to buy one thing you'd get stuck there for fifteen minutes because the owner wouldn't set aside their (non-business-related) conversations with other customers for thirty seconds so they could do your purchase transaction, one time I went for a three-hour class that ran to five hours because she wasn't prepared and kept chatting with people who weren't in the class instead of teaching the class (I don't mean, she'd answer their questions about product, I mean she'd take fifteen or twenty minutes to look at their mini-album or coo at their baby instead of giving the class the next set of instructions and THEN talking to them). It was not a good store and it didn't serve my needs well at all - and I resented the pressure to shop there just because it was an independent even though it didn't carry items or product lines I wanted.

Fortunately, I have run across some really great local scrapbook stores in my time which I would be delighted to support with my business - they just aren't local to me.

As an alternative which I didn't see you mention, Archiver's is a chain that carries a lot of the brand names, double-sided papers, and popular items. Unfortunately it can hard to find what you want, and one time the one piece of paper I wanted from a collection was the one sheet of that collection they weren't carrying - but overall it's a good brick-and-mortar option for checking out new product. They've been experiencing financial problems lately in a way the really big chains have not - they have only about 40 locations nationwide (whereas Joann's has over 700 locations, Michael's has over 1000, and Hobby Lobby has over 500). Archiver's does have a location in Franklin, Tennessee (I don't know how close that is to you, but I saw in your profile that you're in Tennessee).

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to 950nancy

I am in the same boat. No LSS, and the big box stores within driving distance do not carry nice papers. I used to get my nice papers from the LSS, but not I buy them here online. Thank goodness for sb.c!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Luvmyfam

My scrapbook BFF and I use to make a trip to Memphis every 6 months or so (a two hour drive from Little Rock, AR) and we would go to a fabulous LSS and Archievers and would come home loaded down with the most fabulous supplies! Last year the LSS in Memphis closed and I've heard that the Memphis Archievers store was one that closed during their bankruptcy issues. We do have Hobby Lobby, Michaels and JoAnnes here in Little Rock so I can buy basic supplies. I just miss going to a LSS and finding those treasures that I couldn't find at the box stores. I'm making the best out of on-line shopping, but there's just something about going into a scrapbook store and touching all the "stuff"!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

I live in Southern California and we have dozens of Lss, but many of them have closed or are struggling. We still have Wooten's here which is an incredible store. You name it? They have it. I love going there, but spend way too much money. If you ever visit Ca, go to the Wooten's in Onterio or Tustin. Overall, i shop here at sb.com because of convienance and prices.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to bonprof

I think that successful big box stores are focused on selling volume for cheap (cheap... if you can follow their coupon schemes) and the LSS are focused (or should be) on selling quality and service instead... the nicer papers and embellishments.

I think that paper is an area that the chain stores have mostly decided they can cut quality and make better profits. After all, since you are already buying everything else there you might as well buy your paper there. And a lot of people must do so. I know I've been known to buy a few packs there and even take advantage of their individual paper sales when the mood strikes.

Thankfully, our area just got another new LSS just this July. It does have all kinds of nice, pretty double sided paper. But even that store can't carry everything. The owner regularly makes offers to work on special requests for products, but she did have to tell one woman who was searching for Hawaiian vacation pieces (when I was last in the store) that she just couldn't stock a lot of specific travel area products because she wouldn't be able to sell enough of each place.

I guess that is what is so nice about having so many places to shop... For instance, this place (good old SB.com)is pretty awesome if you think about it... a little of everything... lots of selection, quality, service... now if only they could figure out how to let us touch the merchandise before we bought... I'm sure that is coming soon.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to KatieJo

We have a new store opening next week.

There are a few stores within half an hour but run out of someone's home so not a full LSS. There is one a good 45 mins out of town that has tons of stuff but it out of the way and not near anything that I may be heading to.

All our LSS closed (still one stamping store but not scrapbooking). So this store will be welcomed by the scrappers here. We do have the usual M's and a Canadian arts and crafts big box store as well.

heidihug
Resident
heidihug
In response to corrie fan

Archivers is wonderful, there's one about an hour away from us. When I visit relatives in the area I always stop in and take advantage of their sales and coupons. They carry the nicest quality brands and their customer service is phenomenal. I do hope they are able to make a go of it after their reorg.

I subscribe to a wonderful monthly kit club which exactly suits my style, so I know I will never run out of beautiful papers and embellishments (as if, I had scads and scads of stuff, more than I will ever use, I would guess).

Unfortunately, my LSS closed about 4 years ago when the owner, my friend, had to take over her dad's insurance business. She wasn't making much on it, anyway. She still coordinates two large get-away crops (40+ attendees each) twice a year, which is wonderful.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to corrie fan

We have an LSS by us, but I don't really like it. They never seem to get new stuff in and the people that work there just aren't that friendly. I do shop at the big box stores, but mostly get my stuff at Archiver's. Since I work there I get a pretty good deal, and we get new stuff in all the time.

bbarthej
Expert
bbarthej
In response to mrsrogers52513

Our one and only LSS closed at the beginning of the year. The big box stores are an hour away, BUT they only double sided papers come in packs. So... I do a lot of my shopping online. I like shopping online, but it's always a ******** shoot as to whether the item is quality or looks as I expected.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to bbarthej

I have a LSS 10 minutes from where I live. However, they don't always have the latest and greatest. And even when they do, they only carry certain brands. Also they don't have deep discounts like the big box stores. While the big box stores don't always have everything I need, they usually have some really good deal. I recently got a Vagabond at 40% off at one of the big box stores. I was one happy lady :-).

I also shop 1-2 times a year at the Scrapbook Expo. While there I try to load up on stuff I know the big box stores don't carry, like designer patterned papers or Prima flowers. When all else fails, I order here. Ordering online is sometimes a crapshoot though, like previous poster pointed out.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics