Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: eBay Shopping        (Topic#1590813)
Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89

I have found a few items (mostly stickers) on eBay. I was just curious if any of you guys have found any luck on eBay? Ebay is always my "go to" place for many things, so I thought, 'why not try it for scrap booking?' So far, some things I have seen in the stores and it is not much of a deal others are discontinued items so it is worth it.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Alisa89

when it comes to EBAY... it's all about "knowing your prices" and "watching the shipping costs". I use eBAY a lot cause...I am a cheapo and because sometimes it's the only place you can find matching or discontinued items.

ebay also takes patience when it come to getting a bargain. Example: I decide what I am willing to pay for something. Then I bid until I get outbid. I then bid on the next time it is posted. Bid until I get outbid, then bid on the next time. Eventually I win at the low price.

Another trick is to search for the item but use a common misspelling. I have gotten some GREAT deals because the seller misspelled the item in the title.

I pass on all "surprise boxes" or "we add stuff depending on final auction amount" type posts. just not my thing.

and finally SCUTINIZE the photos & descriptions. Sometimes sellers "cherry pick" something and sell off the things they don't want. A common example is a stamp set. They keep the best stamp in a set and sell off the rest. If you don't look or read closely you may not realized they have removed a stamp. This is a common complaint about ebay.

PS one more thing...
Always check that it "from a non-smoking home" or business.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Gelidy Gelato

When I look on ebay for things I type in "Hawaii scrapbook" or "Christmas scrapbook" or "Australia scrapbook" and I get papers, embellies and all kinds of good things.

Seems when I type scrapbooking I don't get as much.

There is one woman, I think her name is Gina who make the most awesome Disney diecuts I've found anywhere. She has a store on Etsy and on ebay and I bought 7 or 8 from her yesterday. She's really reputable and gets them right to me!

Good advice to see if it is from a non-smoking home. I also want my things from a non-smoking home or business and I like when that is indicated.

Another thing I'm careful about on ebay - I occasionally buy Cricut cartridges on ebay but I make sure those are new in the package and never used. I also email them to make sure they are new. If they are used there is always the possibility they have already been linked.

Sometimes the seller buys or is they are given to them used and they have no idea if it has been linked or not.

Last week someone was selling a gypsy (which I don't need) with 97 cartridges on it for $450. My husband told me to not worry about it, just buy it if I wanted it. There were so many Disney and other great cartridges listed - I think there were 29 or 30 that were discontinued.

She told me they had been linked to her gypsy. I contacted provo-craft since I knew I could link mine to my Gypsy and my cricut craft room.

They told me that if someone has linked them to a Gypsy they can link them to their Cricut craft room account but not anyone else. I am taking them at their word that this is true - not willing to pay $450 to find out!

They said the seller could erase them all from her gypsy - wipe her gypsy clean and re-register it to my account and then reload all the cartridges into the gypsy and send it to me but I didn't want to do that.

NMscrapper
Governor
NMscrapper
In response to Henri Jean

I buy quite often on eBay, but I'm mainly after older Cricut cartridges. The deals can be good if you keep track of what they are worth and what you will pay. I always buy new in package from people I've come to trust and haven't had any problem. I put what I'm looking for in "finishing soonest" order and place a bid on the first one available. I too bid until I'm outbid, then move on to the next offering of the same item.

I've also bought stamps, dies, punches and vintage lace. Luckily, I've been happy with everything so far.

The only problem I've found with eBay is that it's addictive!

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Interesting on the misspelled listings. I will have to try that next time! I couldn't agree with you more on all your tips - especially the ones filled with "lot" items because a lot of times it is just what is left over from sets that the owner does not want or find useful in which case I would not find useful either.

I do find that if you shop in the eBay stores and find multiple items, you can request an invoice for your total purchases and they do combine shipping - which is actually really nice.

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89
In response to NMscrapper

It is addictive! And there is just so much stuff it can be a little overwhelming at times unless you are looking for something specific - even then you have to dedicate a lot of time to it.

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89

I should have came to you when I was purchasing items for my Disneyland trip pages - but I have gathered enough items for an entire book

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Alisa89

I have a ton of Disney - or I'm getting there but with 2 granddaughters - one 6 months and one 2 years - it will be used.

I was so surprised with what I found yesterday and ordered. My 2 year old granddaughter got her first haircut at the Harmony Barber shop in Disney where they do the first haircuts for little ones. Then get a certificate that says they got their first haircut there with all the Disney characters on it (well, not all the Disney characters) and a receipt with "Baby's First Haircut" on it.

And it was her birthday the same day.

I found two really cute colorful diecuts on the site where I buy a lot of Disney diecuts - one for "Harmony Barber shop" and one for "My Disney Birthday". I was so excited to find those for those pages.

When they are a bit bigger - 3 or older I think, then they do the little girls at Bibbity Boppity Boutique where they dress them up like princesses but they don't do that for the tiny ones. They do all of those at the barber shop and they guy who cut her hair gave her a beautiful cut and he was really good with kids.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to Alisa89

I love ebay ! I buy everything from Homecoming dresses, to a week at a timeshare in the Bahamas, to scrapbooking stuff.

Always check the seller's feedback score & read a few. Positives only - don't waste your time with negatives.

Most recently, I bought the starter kits for both the Texture Boutique and the new blue side kick at crazy low prices - both brand new in the box.

Not long ago, I got the Cinch -slightly used- with a whole box of the wires.

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89

That's awesome you were able to find items so specific to your event because sometimes that is hard or rare to find. That sounds so fun and cute!!

merreena
Veteran
merreena
In response to Alisa89

I like going on eBay usually for companies that doesn't ship to Singapore like Stampin' Up or just items that I cant find them here in Singapore (machine, etc). Shipping can be quite high especially when it's shipping all the way to Asia but sometimes I do get some great deals. I've bookmarked those reliable sellers with plenty of stars and comments.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to merreena

I was so excited today! I won the Cricut Blackletter cartridge I've wanted forever today for $26.95 (Sealed, new in the package). The separate listings for it start at $65.00 and one listing is $105.00! On Amazon it is $65.

I seriously did a happy dance when I won that cartridge! Its the old English letters I need for my Transylvania and Count Dracula layouts from where we were there a few months ago.

Eager to Scrap
Veteran
Eager to Scrap

I love E-Bay. I have found a lot of things that have been discontinued. I generally try to bid on things that are either low cost in shipping or free shipping. I have been pleased with everything I have gotten.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Eager to Scrap

for all ye avid ebay bidders... my hubby signed up for a service where you can plan the bid you want to place and leave it to the machine to place the bid for you 10 seconds before the end of the auction. no anxiety over anything, no need to stay up late or interrupt the day over the bid. yes, you loose the "personal involvement with the bidding" feeling but you'll get the bargain anyway) likely. I forgot now what the name of the thing is, I'll have to find out - if anyone using that, do you remember the name?

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to OlesyaK.

What a wonderful tool!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsrogers52513

It's a sniping tool. My son used to have one - guess he still does.

I have never used a sniping tool because I don't have the software for it (maybe some day I will) but I am a sniper. If I shopped much on ebay I would get the program but I only buy a few things here and there on ebay.

I used to sell things on ebay and I loved it when people started bidding right away because it drove the price up and up and up. Even if they started bidding really low, it was part of driving the price up.

If there was early bidding activity - the price went way high.

When there wasn't much activity on the item and people laid low and a sniper got it - it was almost a give-away.

Anything I have ever gotten at a really great price, I sniped.

Last week I got the Blackletter Cricut cartridge. I did not show my hand, just watched as it lingered at $8.50 for days and days. I knew I wouldn't mind going up to $30 and was willing to bit the bullet and go to $55 - since that was well below what they had been going for ($65+)

I knew if I bid, someone would outbid me and it would keep going higher and I wouldn't get it for a good price.

Then I typed in $53 exactly 20 second before it ended and I got it for $26.50 - if I had put in earlier bids it would have driven the bids up and sold much higher.

In fact if I'm sure if I had done that earlier I would have been outbid or paid a much higher price.

As a seller I hated it when people did that because they walked away with such low prices. Now that is what I do to get the lower prices.

I never make my presence known until the end.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-14-13 10:16 AM

I would never get a sniping program because for me part of the fun is doing it myself. And I'm pretty good at it I rarely buy anything but vintage and antique items, I have a few collections of stuff, so bidding and sniping is just like hunting through an antique shop for me. Occasionally I look for recent but discontinued items - like the Kaisercraft Tropicana die-cuts that I regret not buying when they were here in the store!!

I have lots of searches set up and get automatic emails every morning showing newly posted items, and for some things I look for it can be months, even years, before any listings show up. It's all about patience.

It drives me absolutely bonkers when people start bidding early and drive the price up!!! Even crazier when the bidding goes well and above any normal retail price, and I've seen people do this a lot.

Right now the main thing I'm looking for is the perfect mid-century fiberglass lampshade, for a lamp base we moved into the living room.
Products Referenced in This Post:

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to stick

I have found lots of discontinued Cuttlebug dies. As others have mentioned, check the feedback and it helps to know pricing on items.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to MisasMom

Drives me bonkers too - early bidders drive the price up for themselves or for me or whoever wins it. Patience is money in the bank when it comes to ebay.

If people understood that if they wait until the last minute and put the price in that they originally put, they often get it for that. But if they put it in early, the price takes a giant step up and they are often outbid.

The winning bids in an ebay auction usually come the last 30 seconds. I don't get involved in bidding wars - the buyers don't win those. I liquidated a large collection on ebay - I know!

Can't stand it when the bidding wars get heated and they sell for as much or more than retail. See that happening a lot.

The Monster Bash cart is $29.99 on the Cricut site for cartridge and $24.99 digitally - and Joanns has a sale now on it for $24.99 so there is no shipping. (I bought Edge-to-Edge at Joanns yesterday for that price.)

On ebay they are the same price. Some of the buy-it-nows are $29. - why? There are 3 or 4 on auction with a ton of bids at over $20.00. By the time they pay postage - they could have gotten it at Joanns for $24.99. I just don't get that.

I like the thrill of sniping it myself too but I hate when I have to get up at 3 or 4 am for an auction to end and get very frustrated when I'm not here. Eventually I may get the program.

The haunted fence punch I want is on ebay for $36.00. Regular price is $39 and change. I can get it at Michael's or Joanns with a 40% coupon or on sale! That is odd to me.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

Just a question... is it called snipping or is it sniping? ( sort of like when people say they are a scraper but I think they mean a scrapper.) I always think of a scraper as a paint scraper or an ice scraper I keep in my car to use in the winter. I could be all out in left field because I don't keep up with younger peoples verbage... so maybe it is called scraping or sniping... just wondering in case I try to look into it. My computer has a snipping tool and I wonder if this is what I should be trying.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics