Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Organization help, please!        (Topic#1590871)
Veteran

How do you organize your scrap room? I have so much stuff that I can't find what I'm looking for. Do you organize by theme or color or what? How do you store embellishments, border stickers, ribbons and the ton of other stuff you have?

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to Mimiof123

Take a look and sign up for the free Get Organized class.
Get Organized

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to corrie fan

I second that you should take that class. I'm taking it now, and it has helped me tremendously. It's free, and you get one e-mail a week on a different subject re: organization. Jill discusses everything that you mentioned in your e-mail and more.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to crichards1

I think there is one correct way to organize your scrap room and that is to organize the way you scrap. The things you use the most need to be the most assessable. I don't journal with pens - I journal on the computer so it would be wasted space for me to put journling pens in easy reach. I pack them in the bottom of a bottom drawer.

Some of us scrap by theme, some by color, some by designer or brand. If you go to Bo Bunny or Basic Grey - then store them that way. If you go for colors - a pattern with orange or green or whatever, store them by dominate color. If like me you scrap by theme, then that is the way to go. I have misc. bins for stripes, polka dots, paisleys and general patterns which I plan to actually put into bins of their own which are labeled dots, stripes, etc.

I always buy 3-7 sheets of each patterned paper because I do long travel layouts. I just did 3 pages of Ajaccio, Corsica (home of Napoleaon) last night and needed 3 matching pages.

However, when I'm doing a one-page layout I get frustrated going through thousands of sheets of patterned paper to find one that is alone so I don't break up groups of matching papers. I finally started a bin called "Single sheets". If I have 3 of something and use 2 - it goes in the single sheet container. If I'm doing a one-page layout, that is what I go for first.

I also have cropper-hoppers with themes like flowers, snowflakes, animals, stars, gears & boy stuff, cartoon-super hero-Disney, fire-police-doctor-hospit al... you get the idea.

This is what works for me:

This is my patterned and themed paper - I have added 3 or 4 more bins and they are all full now but they are in categories like baby, food, USA, International (I have tons of travel stuff), Cruise, etc.
Patterned Paper Bins By Henri Jean

My cardstock is in here although it is so full no more paper goes in it and now there is a 12" stack on top and a drawer full of solid cardstock - (Incidently, when our Michaels remodeled about 5 years ago Bill found this for me behind the store next to the dumpster:
Cardstock Storage By Henri Jean

This rolling cart slides under my scrap table - packages and tubes of flowers are in the big drawer in the bottom and buttons and small embellies are in the top drawer. Punches are in another place now.
Rolling Cart for Punches & Flowers By Henri Jean

This sits in the corner of my craft room and has duplicate supplies in it - extra ATG, 18" craft ruler, scissors, trimmer etc. and the as I get my spages ready to glue and finish I put them in the 12 x 12 files in one of the containers so they are ready to go to the next crop. When I'm ready tfor a crop all I have to do is grab the handle - no packing necessary. I ran out of glue dots yesterday at my scrap desk at home and got a spare pack out of my crop wagon. I keep plenty of extra ATG tape and other supplies in the wagon.
My Little Red Craft Wagon By Henri Jean

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Henri Jean

You are so flippin' organized, I love it!

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to mrsrogers52513

• Quote:
I think there is one correct way to organize your scrap room and that is to organize the way you scrap

I once did an organizing challenge and the first step was to do a page, but take notes as you do each step...

do you think, I need pink...organize by color
do you think, I need baby pp...organize by theme
do you think, I need Basic Grey...organize by brand

for me, it is primarily by Brand or by kits, and I like to keep collections together. I love that the mixing and matching, coordinating is done for me.

I do have 'projects' in its own iris case, like my trip to the Bahamas, and as I purchase anything specific for that project, it goes into the case.

I do have one area for themes, a cropper hopper that I call 'extreme theme'...a place where say, Disney or Birthdays is kept together.

and another area for color..when I first started scrappin' I bought a lot of mixed collections on Ebay..and most of those oddball pieces are in there by color. But honesty, haven't used it in quite a while.

Embellies are by type, but again, collections together. I could never seperate a tube of prima flowers...like I said, love that they have coordinated the colors for me.

Enjoy and remember organizing like scrapping is a process, it will change as you grow.

Edited by mjmone on 09-14-13 05:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to mjmone

I keep all my Doodlebug stuff separate, and then everything else I sort by theme. I have a 10 drawer cart that each drawer has a theme: Baby, Wedding/Love, Friends/Family, Spring/Easter, Summer/4th of July, Fall/Halloween/Thanksgivi ng, Winter/Christmas, Camping/Vacation....you get the picture.

Then my other storage bins and carts I keep like things together: Flowers, Gems/Pearls/Brads, Adhesive, Tools, Stamp Pads, Stamping Supplies, Glitter, Glimmer Mist.....and so on.

All my scraps I keep in a tax file box. I keep the pattern scraps together, and then keep each sold color together. I use those first when I am making cards.

I don't have a ton of loose paper, so that I just keep in a drawer in another storage cart. My paper pads are all kept in a cabinet. I write the brand and name of the pad on the spine and face the spines out so I can just grab the ones I need.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I like the 10 cart rolling cart idea. I've seen those and wish I had room for one but I'm maxed out in my office. Nothing else fits! I'd like to use that instead of these cropper hoppers!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Henri Jean I have the same rolling metal cart with 2 drawers love it I have all my kits in mine Makes it much easier to keep them together.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to Sneezy1956

I have become such a hoarder that I need help reorganizing so I just started the free get organized class. The first email you get comes with an assessment sheet which is awesome as I think it'll help me organize my thoughts so I'm not so overwhelmed.

This pic is frm 3 years ago and since then I've HOARDED so much stuff it looks like a sb store exploded in my room! I'd like to get it back to the way it was, but with a better flow so I'm so excited to get my weekly emails and get going on this project.

3 years ago...

Believe it or not--- this is ORGANIZED!! By Lauri D

Believe it or not--- this is ORGANIZED!! By Lauri D

a year & a half ago...

I think I need to clean my mess now! By Lauri D

and it's twice as bad now! Yup I NEED help! Is there a shrink in the house?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Lauri D

I love your big work space! And the shelves! So lucky!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to Mimiof123

3 months ago I was exactly where you are. My borders I separated by color, using individual extra long wire drawer utensil holders. My alphies & numerics I sorted by color & have in hanging file folders. I went thru all my papers & sorted by color/occasion & changed from horizontal storage to vertical in 2 cropper hopper advantus. Ribbons & washies I have sorted by size of spool in clear plastic containers. I don't have many stamps so they are hanging in a wire caddy. Flowers I finally sorted by color & I have them in an expandable file. Embellies I have sorted by size,each in containers, I try to repurpose whenever I can. Hope this helps!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to flwrgrl

I've become a hoarder too! My husband said to me the other day..."I feel like there is more and more stuff in this room now" I said "oh, no...I just reorganize it and move it around so it looks like more." If he only knew!

Veteran

Y'all are so funny! My hubby thinks Cricut cartridges cost about $10. I'll let him live in his blissful world! If only he knew!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Mimiof123

Bahahaha! Oh, men! My husband thinks paper is really cheap! I got a 12 x 12 paper pad and he was like "what do those run, like a few bucks?" "yup, sure." haha!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

When my husband says anything I tell him, "This is why the government gives me a social security check. For spending money for scrap supplies."

Of course if my scrap supplies exceed my social security, his is direct-deposited in my checking account to I attack it!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

I'm with you, Henri Jean! I've always worked full-time and hubby and I have almost always kept separate checking accounts. We each contribute to the household expenses and what is left in my account is mine to spend. I'm lucky in that he could care less what I spend on things that make me happy - scrapbooking supplies, yarn for my crochet and knitting projects, cake decorating supplies, bows for my grandaughter, clothes for my grandaughter - you get the picture! But I will say that he, too, underestimates how much I spend on scrapbooking supplies. Bless his heart. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dsouza

When I married Bill the hardest thing in the world for me to do was to co-mingle our funds because I had been so independent for so long. Then I realized he had a whole lot more money than I did and it really was to my advantage to mix it up!

Now I love the arrangement. He puts money in the accounts - I spend it. How in this world did I ever think this would be a problem? (Actually one of the social security checks is mine and the house rental checks are technically ours together.)

I had a checking account forever in Georgia (at Regions bank in 1990 before it was Regions) and I love that bank and will never give them up - I really love my bank. Anyway, Bill has accounts at two other banks (had 3 - we closed the one in Hawaii). We are both on all accounts but I use the Regions almost solely unless Bill puts something on my debit card. And we both put money in there - both of our social security checks and money from license plate sales. Even rents on our rental houses go there. I consider it "mine" although he has a stake in it too obviously.

Bill has one account which I am not sure why he keeps. Mostly because he and Joe ride their Segways to the bank and it is on this side of the busy road. Other than that - I have no idea and the balance stays minimal. Enough for a short vacation or trip somewhere.

He uses the Wells Fargo a good bit because his trust fund money and military retirement go into that one. That one pays the credit card bills automatically every month so we never have a balance.

I consider the Regions "mine" because I had it before we got together although I added his name to it. I consider the Wells Fargo "his" because he had it when we got together. I've never used the account but that is what he pays most of the bills out of.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

When my husband and I got married, we started using his bank account because his account was open longer. I have my checks deposited into his account, which is technically our account, but we never had my name added to it. We always say "oh, we'll go do that this week." But with me working nights and having another job, our schedules never match up and its one of those things that gets thrown to the wayside. The downside is we only have a debit and credit card with his name on it. But I keep them in my purse. He doesn't work right now and doesn't really go anywhere so he has no use for them! I make the money and make sure the bills are paid. We will get to the bank soon to add my name on...I want a card with my new name on it!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

When we put Bill on my account I went to the bank and signed my part of the paperwork and he went in the next day and signed it.

I've heard of people dying and the account doesn't have both names on it so they put it through probate and the account is locked up forever. That happened to my former father-in-law and it was almost 2 years before he had access to the checking account.

If one of you signs, the other can swing by another time although we had to do it that day or the next.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics