Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Apartment scrapper        (Topic#1590907)
bonprof
Idol
bonprof

Is there anyone out there in scrapbook land who does NOT have a scrap/craft room and has lived to tell about it? I live in an apartment. Half of my scrap stuff is in the garage downstairs and the other half in my bedroom. When I crop here, I take over the living room. What a mess? Anyone relate?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bonprof

I don't have a room, never have done, but I do have a whole, dedicated corner. I think if I had to have everything portable it would either drive me completely mad, or would make me a lot happier about going to crops!

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to RedSquirrel

I used to live in an apartment and I had a small cardtable set up in the corner of one room. I scrapped that way for almost 10 years. Everything was in boxes that was stored under the table, beside the table or on top of the table. I didn't have as much then as I do now and sometimes I wish I didn't have as much as I do now because it gets overwhelming. As I was finishing up the most recent organization of my corner the last couple of weeks, I had made a decision to not buy anything new for at least the next year and to use what I already have. I will only be buying adhesive, photo paper and ink.

Even now, I just have the corner of one room (our office) and it works out just fine. There are recent pictures in my gallery (just posted last week). I have found that it's important to know how you scrap/work and make sure you have organizational methods that work for how you scrap/work. My space is a work in progress and I have tried many methods to organize things over the years. Only now do I finally feel like everything is how it needs to be for me to scrap/work efficiently.

I will tell you that all of my scrapcorner furniture was "hand me downs" from when my husbands company moved and didn't want to take the old furniture with them (I didn't pay for any of it). I know not everyone falls into situations like that and I am incredibly grateful for the free furniture. Otherwise I would still be scrapping on my cardtable from 1998.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to bonprof

I've been blessed for the past five years to have my office/scrapbooking room, but prior to that I never had a dedicated space so I can definitely relate! I didn't even have a dedicated closet for supplies and looking back, I'm not exactly sure how I coped! If I were back in that situation today, I would probably set up a long table in my bedroom and invest in some attractive organization pieces for the table top and then maximize the space under the table with more organization pieces. Those rolling carts would also be nice as I could roll them out of the way when not in use and could roll them to my work area when I'm working on projects. Even better if I could roll them under the table! If I got really creative I might make a skirt that matched my bedroom decor to go around my table so that everything underneath could be hidden when company came over. I also would make use of a folding square card table that I could set up by my long table to make an L when I was scrapbooking. When not in use, I just folded it up and put it away. Simple ideas - hope they help!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to dsouza

One more thing - I found a used office furniture store near my work and they have a HUGE warehouse full of mismatched tables, chairs - all kinds of goodies. The prices were incredible and the furniture is sturdier than what you can normally buy at Wal-Mart or Target. It was a treasure trove! I bought my long table that I currently use there. If you can find a store like this in your area, I highly recommend checking it out.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to dsouza

My last apartment was 520 square feet including the bathroom and kitchen. My husband and I shared it, it was very small. My study space in the middle of the "living room" also doubled as my crafting space. I found an Expedit bookshelf for super cheap and that is what I stored all of my craft stuff in. Even if I did a small project the entire 480 square feet of living space looked as if a giant had sneezed scrapbook supplies everywhere. Apartment living when you are a scrapbooker can stink. And it also taught me how to be organized and take up less space.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to GwynnAsbury

Thanks for the great input! I just love hearing everyone's ideas and stories about space or lack of.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

When I moved to Florida I have a corner of the living room for scrapping. Of course I didn't have so much stuff then!

I had a computer desk which held my computer and printer - and that is about it!

One corner was vacant so I put my 6-person dining room table there for a craft table so I could work on layouts. Stuff got stored in stacked up artbin boxes.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to bonprof

Until recently, I had to scrapbook in my dining room. Before that I had supplies tucked away in 4 different areas over two levels of my house. To keep my sanity, I constantly reminded myself that I get a workout with each scrap session. Seriously, it kept me from moaning every time I had to go BACK upstairs to get something I forgot. In addition, thanks to my nosy cat, I also have the habit of cleaning up in between layouts. That was a lifesaver! I even find myself doing that at work (cleaning up between each assignment). It not only clears the space so that I can start fresh, but it also clears my mind for the next project,if that makes sense.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to Luvmyfam

Yes, i clean up between layouts also. It helps me prepare for the next creative spurt. And it cuts down on the overall mess.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to bonprof

I'm thinking I'll make the move from a big house to an apartment when my mom passes so I'm learning from you all. I made sure when I bougt my expite furniture to by one wide caes except for one so that I could move to a smaller area. I also have a few of the jet max cubes I'll put a top between when I set up a new room.

Edited by Sneezy1956 on 09-15-13 11:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sneezy1956

Always a great idea to plan ahead - something I'm not very good at!

Bill talks a lot about moving to the Villages. If so, I will have no scraproom or a tiny scraproom. Mostly like the second bedroom will be my scraproom but also for company. Hopefully we would get a 3 bedroom so I would have a scraproom. But I know it will be much smaller.

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to Henri Jean

I started out on the coffee table, graduated to a dining room table and I now have graduated to a corner all my own. My husband and I share the office, so I have one corner he as the other. I have learned to go up with my storage as well as make it portable as possible. I go to an annual crop and hoping to add another soon. My best storage piece so far has been my 2 shelf, 8 drawer cart I got for Christmas last year. It holds both cutters (circut expression, silhouette) my cuttlebug, my Xyon creative station and I have my drawers (2 that are still empty). When I get ready to work I just roll it out and I have my husbands old drafting table for my surface. I am always on the look out for creative storage ideas and then find a way to copy it on the cheap. It has been working so far.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to lifethroughalens

I took your advice and ordered the two shelf cart from JoAnn's and it should be here Monday! I can't wait for it to get here. I have big plans for it and I think I can store out of site a lot items that are currently taking up valuable table top space.

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to dsouza

Glad I could help. I bought it mainly for the shelf space but when I got it put together, moved to my "scrap corner", and started rearranging I could not believe how much space it helped to free up for me, especially the work space. I hope it does the same for you.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to lifethroughalens

I dream about having a scraproom. My supplies are in my bedroom and I craft wherever I can. But I'm certainly not going to wait until I have a dedicated crafts space...lol I make the mess and worry about it later :-D

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Crafting Marfa

I unfortunately have gone from having a huge scraproom to having no room. I now have a corner of the living room. Space is tight, but I make it work. I have a card table and a few rolling storage carts and a cabinet I keep all my stuff in.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to mrsrogers52513

• mrsrogers52513 Said:
I unfortunately have gone from having a huge scraproom to having no room. I now have a corner of the living room. Space is tight, but I make it work. I have a card table and a few rolling storage carts and a cabinet I keep all my stuff in.

Look at the Cart from Ikea I've got mine full and love it.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to Sneezy1956

Wow . Very cool!! I might get one!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

I like that cart a LOT! Thanks for sharing Jane.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics