Username Post: QR codes        (Topic#1590975)
OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

Has anyone used QR codes on the layouts?
I recall seeing in one of the scrapping journals something about it (a tool? a software? don't remember). The idea was you include a QR code somewhere on your layout, then whoever is looking at the album can scan it and go to the web page / photobucket / youtube video / google maps location. I think it might be an awesome idea.
Has anyone used it? still using? if not, why not?

PS: just f.y.i.- QR code is that square box covered with dots that is used a lot on posters and printed ads and such for quick link to a webpage or more information.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to OlesyaK.

I haven't used them yet. I don't think I'll use them in my scrapbooks because of technology changes. I still have memories trapped on vhs tapes...

I have thought about using them in cards though. I know that Stampin Up sells them where you can record a message and put it in cards you mail.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Rosita

I've got a couple that were packed in with Tim Holtz Sizzix stuff lately, but haven't used them yet, for the same kind of technology reasons (less that I'm worried about the technology going out of date, and more that the companies hosting the redirect could take down the service or go out of business).

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to aquabunny

I prefer the kind like the ones that comes in greeting cards. You record your message and it stays there. Its good for recording people's voices or music.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
I've got a couple that were packed in with Tim Holtz Sizzix stuff lately, but haven't used them yet, for the same kind of technology reasons (less that I'm worried about the technology going out of date, and more that the companies hosting the redirect could take down the service or go out of business).

I'm thinking, you tube is not likely to go out.. is it? hopefully not.
it's an interesting concept, though..

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to OlesyaK.

That isn't what I mean, which is why I specifically said "company hosting the redirect", not "company hosting the content." If I use a qr code sold to me by Sizzix, for example, that code is already set to a specific URL at whatever host they're using. It's that URL that will then redirect to YouTube or wherever else I've chosen. And the second the redirect service is taken down, as far as the qr code is concerned, it won't matter if YouTube still exists, because the page that redirected to it won't be there to redirect to it anymore.

Edited by aquabunny on 09-20-13 06:34 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to aquabunny

ok this is news to me. I thought that the app reading the QR code on your phone is the one launching the browser and opening the URL. You do need a tool to generate QR codes, but there are some free ones on the 'net... I didn't think you need to be redirected by a third party, why would you..

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to OlesyaK.

My understanding is that the URL is encoded in the QR code image, and since the code already exists you can't directly change it to represent whatever YouTube or Flickr or whatever address you have in mind, but I'm only slightly familiar with specific brands of these. I only know the details of two of these products: In the case of the Talking Tag ones packaged with some Sizzix products, they are audio-only and still seem to be good only as long as the Talking Tag company exists. The stkr.it ones don't involve a redirect to YouTube, but do go to locations on the stkr.it website, so it still relies on that service's continued existence.

Seems the best way to do this would be to find a way to generate your own QR images so they can go directly to the link or media you have in mind, without a middleman.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics