Username Post: Scrapbook wont close        (Topic#1590979)
New Kid On the Block

Hi I am new to scrapbooking and have been making one for my mums 50th birthday but when I came to put the pages ive done so far in the book it wont close/sit right. I cant really take any out and I still have lots more to do. Ive tried the papermania and grace books and both do the same. The grace book I really like has plastic like cable tidy things and these pop open. Please Help

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to beccy.clifton.87

I'm assuming that you are using what is called a post album. If your pages have bulky/thick embellishments it is often hard to make these albums work. You can buy post extenders that will help. or, you could just be trying to put too many pages in the album. Post albums really are meant to hold about 20 single layouts. I use a lot of flowers and other embellishments on my pages and I have gone to 3 ring albums almost exclusively. They are just kinder on the pages! If you didn't invest a ton of money in the album you have, I would recommend getting a 3 ring album. Here is one that I like, but there are many other brands. 3 Rings come in all different sizes as well.
Products Referenced in This Post:

New Kid On the Block
In response to dsouza

Hi thanks for the quick reply. Yes its post album. At the minute I have 10 inserts / 20 pages. Do you no where I could get post extenders from because if this will work id prefer it as I have a really nice book my mum would love. I am wanting to put about 15 more pages in. Im very new to all this and maybe pushing my luck. If all else fails I will try your idea

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

Are you in the U.S.? If so, I can give you specific places to try. You should be able to get them at the same place you got your album. If you ordered it on-line search for "post extenders". There are some generic extenders that fit most post albums, although many makers of post ablums also make ones that fit just their albums.

New Kid On the Block
In response to dsouza

No im in uk this is the only decent website I could find. I will check out ebay and google. Im sure I could find something

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan

Beccy, try a hardware store. I have heard them referred as Chicago screws but just take one, both parts with you and look for one. They come in all sorts of lengths and being in one piece will be more stable.

You may need spacers in there between pages to balance it out. Those are just strips of chipboard. If you Google them you may find videos in action.

Good luck.

heidihug
Resident
heidihug
In response to corrie fan

The best solution if you are creating 30 to 40 pages is making two albums. Even the three ring binder kind might not be able to accommodate that many pages. It's not nice to your lovely layouts, or the person you are gifting them to, to present them with a bulging album shaped like an concertina (this is experience talking). And, who wouldn't want TWO gifts, right?

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to heidihug

Yep I would make at least 2 albums and maybe 3 if you are doing any heavy embellishments.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

This product might help.
Products Referenced in This Post:

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

I had that same problem with a heritage album that I did for my father earlier this year. I ended up putting spacers between the pages and using post extenders. It still didn't close. I wish I had switched to a 3-ring album or used two separate albums, but I didn't. He's out of town so I can't switch it now.

48SixTime
Governor
48SixTime
In response to crichards1

You can get the extenders via Amazon.com. I used them for a few albums, they helped some, but I agree, it's time to go to 3 ring binders.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

if you want it to close, really close, but it's too bulky, another thing you can try is put one of those string closures where you twist a string attached to the back around the circle piece attached to the front (whatever it's called, in office supplies). it will keep the album closed.

New Kid On the Block
In response to OlesyaK.

Thanks everyone for the advise I will try all of these

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin

The spacers are the key to getting post bound albums to close. Even with the post extenders (I found some 2 inch Chicago screws at the hardware store I love) they won't closer properly without the spacers. I often use one per page insert or more if my pages are super lumpy.

I have linked a few here for you, but it is fairly easy to make your own.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to Nancy Keslin

Those strap things are wonderful for that and right now at my Micheals they are on clearance for $1.49 regular $5.99 I bought 12 of them the last time I went. But also if you are using post bind. I put cardboard cut with the hole punch in between each page. It kinda helps. But the straps are awesome and easy to do. Good luck.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to kajunkat

I did use spacers (two or three per page) between the pages with post extenders. They helped somewhat, but it still didn't close. I had used some sort of embellishment on every page. I made my own spacers. I think you would need to really use a lot of spacers between each page, and then it would work. Of course, it would depend on how many and what type of embellishments you used. Good luck. I hope you do find something that works.

Edited by crichards1 on 09-20-13 03:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

48SixTime
Governor
48SixTime

Good to know about the spacers! That makes sense!

Veteran

I find the best thing for me to do is to replace the metal posts and screws. I found some really great ones at Lowe's home improvement store. They have them with the screws, washers, nuts, etc. in a case with drawers on it (aisle 1 at my local store). You can get them up to 3 inches long and they work great to make your album thicker. Embellish away!!!

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to Mimiof123

Extra screws make the album thicker, but you still need spacers for it to close straight. I tried using the screws without the spacers. I came here desperately looking for help, and someone told me about making the spacers. It would be easier to buy spacers, though. I see they sell them here, but you would need a lot of them. You need both the screws to hold the extra pages and the spacers for the embellishments.

Edited by crichards1 on 09-21-13 02:40 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics