Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Please please please        (Topic#1591015)
SuzyM
SuzyM 
Resident
SuzyM
  • SuzyM on 09-20-13 08:23 PM

As scrapbookers we know this but please pass this onto the people you know. DO NOT USE SCOTCH TAPE ON PHOTOGRAPHS!!! I have spent 7 days 6 hours each day going through all of our family pictures organizing them, placing them on 12 x 12 acid free paper, and labeling each picture with names. There are so many pictures that have been ruined by placing scotch tape to hold the picture to the paper. Some of these pictures go back to the early 1900's. I also cannot tell you how many colored pictures were ruined because they were not properly mounted on acid free paper.

I am just relieved I finally finished this project. The stack of albums was almost as tall as me.

A few years ago I did a huge family scrapbook so I was extremely lucky that I sat down with my mom to identify all the people. My mom and dad died recently and all of that history would have been lost if I had not taken the time to sit with her.

Dont be afraid to throw pictures away. I tossed so many pictures of thumbs, dark pictures you cannot make out the scene, and some that were "exactly what were you trying to take a picture of?"

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to SuzyM

My mom recently went through her pictures and put names on all of them that she knew. Luckily no tape but not many pictures!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to SuzyM

• SuzyM Said:
As scrapbookers we know this but please pass this onto the people you know. DO NOT USE SCOTCH TAPE ON PHOTOGRAPHS!!! I have spent 7 days 6 hours each day going through all of our family pictures organizing them, placing them on 12 x 12 acid free paper, and labeling each picture with names. There are so many pictures that have been ruined by placing scotch tape to hold the picture to the paper. Some of these pictures go back to the early 1900's. I also cannot tell you how many colored pictures were ruined because they were not properly mounted on acid free paper.

I am just relieved I finally finished this project. The stack of albums was almost as tall as me.

A few years ago I did a huge family scrapbook so I was extremely lucky that I sat down with my mom to identify all the people. My mom and dad died recently and all of that history would have been lost if I had not taken the time to sit with her.

Dont be afraid to throw pictures away. I tossed so many pictures of thumbs, dark pictures you cannot make out the scene, and some that were "exactly what were you trying to take a picture of?"

Hey Suzy, this is a great thing to share with everyone.
I am sure there are lots of people do not know this. I have already moved my pics out of the old bad albums years ago. You are so right.
Congrats on getting so many done.
You must feel great.
I can answer why they have the pics of bad things or thumbs etc... When I was growing up..getting photos developed was not cheap. So no one would throw any of them away even if they were bad. Plus back in the day.they sure did not take many pics too so you would never consider throwing one away. lol I did throw some bad ones too. It was very hard to do lol

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to anda11

I went thru that a few years ago. I spent a lot of time and UNDU getting scotch tape and Bandage tape (What were they thinking!) off old pictures. I spent some time researching how best to do it. The lady at our local museum was a great help. I hate to throw away pictures, so I load them in my computer and with a photoshop program I can enhance and save a lot of them.

Veteran
In response to southgirl

I just don't think there was much of a choice.Do you remember the yucky yellow glue by Elmers? Thank goodness we have more choices now.
I am going to have have to do this soon also.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SHARON ELISE

My mother's old pictures are all on slides. Hundreds and hundreds of slides if not thousands. All of our childhood and growing up.

When I talked to mom recently she said she didn't think anyone would really want the old slides so she threw them away. All the boxes and boxes of them.

She does have a lot of photos in boxes, envelopes, mailers, old albums - but they are in the most damp and humid part of her house. Don't know if they are going to be any good or not, no one has seen them for over 30 years.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Henri Jean

i made a scrapbook for my bff and i left a few pages for her to put some recent photos if she wanted to ; my only rule i told her was NOT to use scotch tape on her photos.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to cescrapper

Or glue stick! Even if it says safe for scrapbooking! So many horror stories here from people using glue stick - even scrapbook safe on the label.

SuzyM
SuzyM 
Resident
SuzyM
  • SuzyM on 09-22-13 06:31 PM

The really sad part of this story is my mom saw first hand what scotch tape does to photos and yet she used it on some new albums she did. I am so glad I got to them in time before some real damage was done.

SuzyM
SuzyM 
Resident
SuzyM
  • SuzyM on 09-22-13 06:34 PM

• Henri Jean]My mother's old pictures are all on slides. Hundreds and hundreds of slides if not thousands. All of our childhood and growing up.

When I talked to mom recently she said she didn't think anyone would really want the old slides so she threw them away. All the boxes and boxes of them.quote Said:

It sounded like it was a huge treasurer of your past, I am really sorry that she got rid of them.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• Henri Jean Said:
Or glue stick! Even if it says safe for scrapbooking! So many horror stories here from people using glue stick - even scrapbook safe on the label.

Why not glue sticks? I use my ATG or glue dots for my heavier items because glue sticks aren't strong enought to hold them because I have had pages come apart from just using glue sticks, but for lighter items, or items that will be under other layers, I use my glue sticks. I just can't see myself using my ATG on items that don't need the extra strength glue to hold them down. I do buy the "scrapbook" safe glue sticks...
What should I be worried about?!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Doreena

I have heard so many horror stories that they quick sticking after a while. The ATG or tape runners or mounting square hold better for the long haul

I have a friend who uses glue sticks a lot - the scrapbooking ones and her pages have a bit of a warp to some of them.

I've seen the topic of glue sticks on the boards here many times and a lot of ladies always jump in who have had bad experiences with them.

When I took my scrapbook classes at Archivers they didn't even give them as an option for adhesives, were told they could warp the papers and weren't as dependable for holding as long as other adhesives.

Maybe some ladies will jump in here who have had either good or bad experiences with glue sticks.

Sounds like you are having good luck with them.

May be that because I live in central Florida - so hot and humid that the glue sticks don't work long.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Yeah, glue sticks lose their sticky after a while and they do warp the paper. I use them on cards that don't have to stand the test of time, but not my scrapbook pages.

I sometimes wonder how stupid I'm being. Nobody is going to want my albums after my time - just how important is it to use acid-free?

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to RedSquirrel

I have had problems w/ items becoming loose after a while in the past. So now, like I said in my previous post, I only use glue sticks for light items or items that are layered under other items that will help them stay on if they happen to become loose. For the most part I use my ATG or my glue dots, but that can get expensive to use for EVERY layer so I use my glue sticks here and there as well. I have never had my papers warp though... I guess in that dept I have been lucky!
BTW - speaking of things becoming loose. I have recently gone through old layouts and some of the self-adhesive products made by actual manuafacturers are what I am finding to be falling off my layouts!!! That's just nuts!!! Pay all that money for items and they don't last?!

Edited by Doreena on 09-23-13 10:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
Yeah, glue sticks lose their sticky after a while and they do warp the paper. I use them on cards that don't have to stand the test of time, but not my scrapbook pages.

I sometimes wonder how stupid I'm being. Nobody is going to want my albums after my time - just how important is it to use acid-free?

Well once your gone, you'll never know if you were being "stupid" or not, right? So be "stupid" as long as it makes you happy!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Doreena

LOVE Scotch Double Sided photo safe tape for putting on the back of my photos. Never had a problem. You can buy a pack of them at Sam's Club for a decent price.

I usually use my ATG, but like this tape for the smaller embellishments that are slightly too big for putting through my Xyron 150.

Also a fan of the Scotch glue sticks. The problem with them is the user (me). I get too messy, but they come in handy when I run out of other adhesive.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to I scrap

Oh yes! I am messy too and get Glue Stick all over stuff too! Ughhh! One of the other reasons I don't really care for glue sticks and use them sparingly!! And you just reminded me, I have a xyron too! I just don't know where it is right now! Ughhh! Gotta look for it!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Doreena

When I said I threw bad ones away..I only meant the finger ones or total blurry can't see them. The ones that are just discolored or darkened or some blur...I use them. You can get colors brightned or repaired. they can all be fixed. Lots of the scrappers can do this by themselves.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to anda11

With me it's those old 1980's sticky magnetic photo albums. I have so many pictures stuck in them that I have to really work to get them out. Then most of them still have all that sticky stuff on the back so you can't even stack them to file them away. I'm working on getting them scanned so that I can print them as I need them but man that's a LOT of work.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to olleharr

• olleharr Said:
With me it's those old 1980's sticky magnetic photo albums. I have so many pictures stuck in them that I have to really work to get them out. Then most of them still have all that sticky stuff on the back so you can't even stack them to file them away. I'm working on getting them scanned so that I can print them as I need them but man that's a LOT of work.

I have about 8 of those type of albums that I need to clear photos out of.. it's this winter's project.

I've read that glue sticks can pull color from photos.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics