Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: Products on your Banned List?        (Topic#1591057)
GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

After two posts today dealing with products that do not work, I got to thinking, what are things you have tried or even loved that for one reason or another have been placed on your "banned list"?

* Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists
* Fiskars Punches
* Detailed Bling

I am sure more will come to me. How about you ladies?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GwynnAsbury

The Fiskars border punches are not my favorites. They break easily and my local scrapbook store has quit carrying them for that reason.

However, the squeeze punches - they are wonderful! Don't know of anyone having a problem and they are the only ones recommended by the American Arthritis Foundation. You can punch using just 2 fingers! They are awesome. The 3 sizes in hexagon in the squeeze punches are really hot now - I need to get them. They are the only punch I've ever tried that you need no muscle or strength at all to operate, just lightly squeeze and so far I've found them to be extremely durable.

However, I will keep the Fiskar's border punches I have but not buy any more. I don't know how the border punch system is. I'm seeing a lot of stars by the ratings but I haven't personally tried them. Thinking about it.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to Henri Jean

I have also thought about the border system. However, I do not like that their punches just stop working after a while, and I don't like their design, they are bulk..... and harder to punch, hurts my tender wrists.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to GwynnAsbury

Pioneer albums, arghhhh.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to aquabunny

Tombow adhesives. I bought the dispenser and several refills. I am very disappointed in this adhesive. It simply doesn't adhere well no matter how much you use. If I had my receipts from M's I would return them.

Glue Dots. Some of you may be fans, but I wind up wasting about as many as I use. They stick to my fingers and anything else within a 10 mile radius before I can get them on the paper. I despise those rolls! I much prefer the Elmer's glue spots ( I think that's what they are called). I just ordered Xyron's new dots and will let you know if they are a winner or not.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dsouza

I don't like Tombow either!

I was a at a crop with a new package of glue dots - the mini dots on the sheets and I was getting them everywhere. One of the ladies asked me how I got the glue dots on my fingers.

I told her I peeled it off the little rectangular sheet.

She told me not to do that again. To tear the perforated place around just one or two glue dots.

Then to peel the clear plastic off without touching the glue dot.

Then she told me to put it where I wanted it to stick and to lift one of the corners of the little square the glue dot was adhered to. If it didn't peel off the back of the glue dot easily than to try another corner. One corner always releases the waxy paper it is on and your fingers never touch it. I actually started liking them after someone showed me that.

I don't like the glue dots on the rolls - they work the same way but just don't seem nearly as strong to me as the ones in the flat cellophane packages.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to dsouza

Tattered angels because of their clogged up sprayers and duck adhesives (all m stuff is falling off)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Although Martha Stewart makes a lot of awesome products, in my opinion the Martha Stewart Circle Cutter is not one of them. The circles never come out right. Plus there is a little protective cap that goes over the blade. It fell off the day I bought it and so I'm very cautions of using it because its an accident waiting to happen. Actually the first day when I had it in my punch container the protective cover fell off 3 or 4 times. Then it fell off and I never found it again. I couldn't put it in my punch container anymore because it would be to easy to drag my hand across the exposed blade. Glad to get rid of it since I hate the way it worked or didn't work for me.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Is this the one you mean? I haven't had a problem yet...
Products Referenced in This Post:

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to dsouza

• dsouza Said:
Tombow adhesives. I bought the dispenser and several refills. I am very disappointed in this adhesive. It simply doesn't adhere well no matter how much you use. If I had my receipts from M's I would return them.

Glue Dots. Some of you may be fans, but I wind up wasting about as many as I use. They stick to my fingers and anything else within a 10 mile radius before I can get them on the paper. I despise those rolls! I much prefer the Elmer's glue spots ( I think that's what they are called). I just ordered Xyron's new dots and will let you know if they are a winner or not.

The Tombow adhesive you've linked to here is a temporary adhesive. I got caught by that too when I first started scrapping. Then I discovered that the green one is only designed for things like holding unbacked rubber stamps onto acrylic blocks. I believe the permanent one is in a blue case.

My pet hate is foam squares. I hate those tiny little pieces of backing paper with a passion.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

Henri Jean, which of MS's circle cutters do you mean? I have the one called "large circle cutter" on my Wish List. I read bad reviews on the other one but not the large circle cutter.

I have the Creative Memories circle cutting system and love it. MS's seemed like you could get more different sized circles and would be useful at different times than the CM's one.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to dsouza

• dsouza Said:

You can return to Michael's without a receipt. They give you the lowest price it was sold for in the form of a credit. If it's just going to sit around not being used it would be worth it to do that.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to crichards1

I was on a retreat once and ran out of adhesive and bought one of those tombow temporary adhesives... I did not like it either, but I couldn't toss it. I have used it to hold a mask in place, and love it for that. I may even buy a refill when it gets used up just for that.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Rosita

My Martha Stewart circle cutter is the one on the right - the large one. My circles never quite started and ended at the same spot so I always had to fix the circles with scissors - always a little off. Plus the little thing that protects you from getting cut - lost the first day.

I chunked it and got the Creative Memories cutter system although I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I just haven't needed to make a circle in so long. I'm anxious to try to creative memory though - I just keep forgetting I have it!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

Ditto on the Pioneer albums. They are not true to size - I have trouble loading even my flattest 12X12 layouts into them. Forget about any layouts with a little bulk unless you want to trim down the sides. Too bad, because I really the covers of their albums.

Interesting about the border punches. I use mine all the time and have not had any issues. I do find that they punch better if you use a heavier weight paper. They are a little hard on the wrists though.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mama2Thomas

I agree - heavier weight paper doesn't rip and tear as badly as the thinner paper!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-23-13 06:30 AM

Don't like Tombow at all and even more I dislike American Crafts This to That tape runners. They do not hold AT ALL.
I bought one of their introductory sets when the first brought them out, they were awful. Called AC, they were very nice, told me that there had been a production problem with the first 'batch'. Sent me tons more of the next run. They aren't any better - I use them as temporary runners if I need them.

I do however love glue dots (Henri glad you told op how to use them properly) and AC's this to that foam squares.

RE: Fiskars punches -yes they break and become difficult to use for which I get snarky but I love their designs. I have had the best, most consistent luck with EK Success punches and love their slip profile ones.

WHat I have really had issues with areFiskars paper trimmers - the measuring grids are off kilter on them - way off on some, like 1/8 - 1/4".

I hate glitter!!!! Hate it, hate it, hate it!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-23-13 06:32 AM
In response to GMFTS

At a class the other day I got to use a We R Memory Keepers corner chomper..loved it! Easy to use, cut beautifully, cuts many multiple layers.

NMscrapper
Mayor
NMscrapper

Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist, UGH!!! It's easier to count the number of my sprayers that work than those that don't!! If I ever use it all up . . . NEVER AGAIN!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GMFTS

Such an interesting thread! Things hate - others love!

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics