Username Post: How do you keep your Versamark pad clean? Or do you? Is it even possible?        (Topic#1591061)
Tenant

Greetings, peeps!

So, my question for you: how .clean are your Versamark pads? I am relatively new to wet embossing, and my Versamark pad already looks like garbage. It's not that I don't make a concerted effort to keep it clean - I do - but my determination doesn't seem to make a lick of difference!

For the first time ever, I decided tonight that my chipboard needed a second coat of embossing powder. So I tried to cover the first (completed) layer with Versamark, and discovered that while the chipboard was pretty dry to the touch, it wasn't dry when I pounced the Versamark on it. I ended up with a Versamark pad with red glittery embossing powder, and some silver, too, from an earlier project. It was so bad I didn't know what else to do but rinse/ scrub it under running water! It's nowhere near clean, but it is better, and I "re-inked" it afterwards.

So my question: is this just to be expected? Do I need to accept that my Versamark will never be clean, and that my gold ink pad will forever scatter random gold glitter on my projects?! See, I'm one of those people who has a clean kitchen before I sit down to eat, because I clean as I go. I'm having a difficult time embracing the messier aspects of papercrafting!

Is what I am experiencing normal, or am I doing something really wrong? I mean, good heavens, I'm looking around my craft room and see red glittery embossing powder everywhere! Never mind the 2 Swiffer dusters I've been using, and the 8 or so baby wipes in the wastebasket!

Words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. How long do you generally wait before you add a second coat of embossing powder?
Products Referenced in This Post:

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-23-13 08:26 AM
In response to ChelleKristine

I'm a little confused about what you're doing. If your first layer of embossing powder was properly heated, you shouldn't have excess powder left over, it should all have melted.

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to stick

To answer your question about VersaMark pads: mine are never clean unless it is the first time I'm using them. That is just to be expected, unfortunately. The good news is that it doesn't affect the way they work. When mine gets so grungy that I can't stand it anymore, I throw it away and get a new one. I try to use it as long as possible, though.

As for the glitter, it does get all over the place. Even your VersaMark isn't safe. I find that the glitter embossing powders "shed" - even when you think they're set.

You might want to keep one VersaMark pad just for the messier jobs and one for the cleaner ones. When I taught classes, I used to have one for class and one for me. Have fun!

lcalderone
Tenant
lcalderone
In response to Scrapjanny

I stopped worrying about keeping it clean. To help keep your glitter and embossing powder from flying all over the place, try using a coffee filter instead of folded paper to return to the container.

Tenant
In response to lcalderone

I'd never have thought of a coffee filter! I dig it! I'd been using a letter-sized file folder, thinking that since it has more heft than just a piece of paper, it would help me get the mess back in the container. Obviously, it's far from fool-proof! A coffee filter, though - brilliant! THANK YOU!

Tenant

Scrapjanny, I took your advice. I waited for a Joann's sale, then bought a nice new clean one. If there is glitter anywhere in the vicinity, the dirty one will be used! I know it probably sounds funny, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to buy another pad - just seems so frivolous, but when it came right down to it, it was only about $5! Definitely worth it!

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to ChelleKristine

You got a great deal! I think you'll find that you'll be a lot more likely to try "messy" techniques with your VM now that you have one that is dedicated to them. Have fun!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

I use those square (sandwich almost) size storage things and keep my embossing powders in those with a spoon inside. When I emboss, I just hold it over the container, use the spoon that's inside, toss it in and shut the lid. No mess to clean up. Put each one on a different container.

My Versamark get pretty nasty too. Move see the card making professionals on utube show how gross theirs can get and state that they work just fine,

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-24-13 08:11 PM
In response to SherylEb

If you know right away that you need more powder, sometimes you can just add more powder immediately after heating without adding more ink. But you have to do it pretty much right away before the first coat cools. this works super well with UTEE... I just heat it up, and then immediately put more powder on it and heat it again.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics