Username Post: Has anyone seen the new ScanNCut?        (Topic#1591079)
Expert

So..there is a new machine made by Brother called ScanNCut. You can scan anything, then it will cut it for you. Has anyone seen it, and what do you think of it? I just happened to see it on my facebook today.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to deedee49

I had not seen any news about this machine, but it looks incredibly cool! Can't wait until it is released in October to see if it's going to be prohibitively expensive.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-23-13 03:01 PM
In response to chocolateaxel

Wow, looks REALLY interesting - especially for fussy-cutting which I hate doing by hand. I wonder how well it will work in reality, and how much it will cost.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to stick

Price will be $399

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to Nancy Keslin

I popped on over to my favorite information spot YouTube. Fascinating machine. I am curious to see how it's reception will be =D

Expert
In response to GwynnAsbury

Ouch...399...pricey

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to deedee49

Wow; checked out their video on Utube.. looks like an interesting and fun machine.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sunnydi

I watched the videos and noticed that it will do fussy cutting if the area you want fussy cutted is on the perimeter of the picture.

I did not see it fussy cutting shapes if they were within a pattern. A pieced of flowered patterned paper - they cut a shape (which was in the program) around a cluster, it did not cut the individuals flowers. I can do that with my Big Shot and Nesties just as easily.

Its true, they scanned the patterned paper in first but if I have the patterned paper I would just cut it from that - there would be no need to scan the paper in to cut it from. I can buy a lot of patterned paper for $399 or better yet, if I'm scanning in an entire piece for a title or little piece in a geometric shape - I'll just go to my scrap container - plenty of pieces there that need to be used.

If I had something with several layers, like something I wanted to paper piece together I couldn't find any examples that it could differentiate the colors and cut the different layers. Only the outside shape.

I thought it was very cool that it could do the words and letters you write - loved that. There were some great examples of writing with a wide-tip marker (not really giant) and then cutting it out because it cuts the outside of the images perfectly.

But it doesn't appear to do layers or shadows. That was disappointing - unless I completely missed something.

The big feature to me would be that it would fussy cut drawings or the outline or silhouette of things or words. That was very cool. But I'm not sure it does enough to justify the price.

Unless I missed something and I watched about 10 videos.

The one thing that would make this very very very attractive to me - I would have my order in today, would be if it could scan 12 x 12's with embellishments! I want that so bad I can't stand it! I'm scanning in 1,800 layouts in 4 sections each and then photoshopping them to stitch them together. If I could scan my 12 x 12's on this I would buy it now. But it would need a scanning bed to place the layouts flat. It takes a USB and I could transfer them easily to my computer.

However, it doesn't look like I can scan pages that are very thick. With so many scrapbookers so anxious to scan our pages to print in books or post on boards so they are better quality, this is very close to the solution.

I am going to call the company to see if how much leeway there is - if big flowers will go through the feeder but I don't think so.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Henri Jean

Henri, I'm with you that I would buy this just for being able to scan 12x12 LOs, but besides the thickness problem, it also says that it has an 11.7" width scanning area. Really? They couldn't go an extra .3" so a complete LO could be scanned from edge to edge? I guess I'll keep scanning and stitching, or taking camera pics until a decently-priced large format scanner comes on the market.

Otherwise, I have no reason to buy the scan n cut. I can do the same thing with my Cameo by scanning onto a SD card, then putting that into the Cameo and completely by-passing my computer, but it would depend on the capabilities of your scanner. The card previews on the LCD screen of the cameo for choosing the scanned graphic you want to use. I like using the software to plan it all out, but the computer isn't essential for the cameo. That was one of their selling points...it can be used at crops, etc. where a computer isn't available.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to mrsdriver5

I don't scan my layouts, so that part isn't of importance to me. I like the idea of being able to scan a picture or handwriting or piece of paper, whatever, to then cut for use as an embellishment on a card or layout. I really like that it is totally stand alone, no need for a computer at all. I don't think this product is intended to replace a scanner just to scan and save stuff, although I'm sure one could use it like that.
I could do anything I want with CCR, but that involves being on the computer, and these days on the computer is the last place I want to be.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to chocolateaxel

Scanning the handwriting on the piece of paper inside the hand drawn square was awesome - I loved that. It was the main selling point for me.

I like that it is stand alone - and can move info from the machine to computer with a USB thumb or flash drive. But I'm scanning in all my books right now, about 1,800 pages and it takes 4 scans for each page plus photoshop stitching. Very tedius.

For Christmas I want to give my mother a regular printed book with pictures of all her kids and our families in various layouts.

I want to give my son and his wife one with their layouts and their daughter. Of for my daughter-in-law I want to do one of her family.

Some of the layouts would be in several books. I want to do one of just Christmas layouts to put out at Christmas and some of those layouts are in my son's layouts or the ones of our oldest granddaughter.

I also want to make a book of all Hawaii - I've probably got 50-75 pages of Hawaii from trips every year. But friends in Hawaii are also in those layouts and I want to print a book for them of Hawaii and our trip to Alaska.

Other than make the same pages over and over - scanning seems to be the way to go and just make nice books.

The original layouts will go back in the chrono book and at some point I may break those down when they are all scanned, make a few books of my favorite layouts and maybe frame some of the ones of us and the grandkids to put on the wall. Haven't thought ahead that far.

So if this machine would handle 12 x 12 layout pages - and they came so close - I would order the day it hits the market. But not having a scanning bed (sounds like a tanning bed) and not being quite 12" x 12" - it just misses the mark for me.

If I got this, then I would need to add a scanner too.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I don't know much about this machine but wondering if it would be good for rubber stamps- in other words, if I had a stamped image and wanted to scan it and then cut AROUND my stamped image??? Anyone know if this would work?

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to binkiemonstermom

I assume that would work. I watched a youtube video showing several things this machine will do, they didn't show specifically a stamped image, but I don't see how that would differ from an image from a magazine page or a photo.

BonjourScrap
Veteran
BonjourScrap
In response to deedee49

I do love fussy cutting, but what I really want is a machine able to scan and cut with an offset if I choose so.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to BonjourScrap

I don't see why it wouldn't work with stamps either - provided the stamp has an outside outline to cut around.

I think Cricut or Silhouette or someone will come up with a scanner in theirs too that will do a full 12 x 12. I can't afford $399 just to do fussy cutting for me.

I hate fussy cutting so that part of it is very tempting to me. But overall, this just falls short of what it could do it if were a tad larger.

slyn11
slyn11 
Resident
slyn11

• BonjourScrap Said:
I do love fussy cutting, but what I really want is a machine able to scan and cut with an offset if I choose so.

It does an offset. That was the main thing I wanted to know before I purchased. And the answer is yes it will.

slyn11
slyn11 
Resident
slyn11

• BonjourScrap Said:

Stamped, scanned, and cut with offset using my ScanNcut.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to slyn11

I love those cut with the offset. I would also want to scan and cut with an offset but just am not sold on this machine yet. Its a high price just for fussy cutting but I love the way it can do handwriting and cutting around images.

I would love to see them come out with a small version that will do maybe 5 x 5 or 6 x 6 - a small portable scanner that would do little projects. Then it would be a lot more attractive to me. I just don't need it in 12 x 12 size. All I would use it for would be fussy cutting and I don't fussy cut much of anything for my layout that is really huge.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I love your stamped images cut out!!!

Edited by binkiemonstermom on 10-21-13 06:32 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics