Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Scrapping For A Boy        (Topic#1591087)
Stephanie D
Guru
Stephanie D

I feel as If I am starting over since having my little guy. I am a over the top girly scraper i am having a super hard time pulling off boy layout. Plus most of the supplies for boy's book suck.

Anyone having the same problem.

Edited by Stephanie D on 09-23-13 05:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to Stephanie D

Hey Stephanie! I cannot relate about having a baby boy (at this point no babies yet), however, I do have a husband who used to be in the military. Finding man themed things is also incredibly hard....... I would take a look at Tim Holtz's die cutting stuff he has a lot of masculine designs AND Lifestyle Crafts which also has die cuts that can be customized for boys or girls. I hope that helps!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to GwynnAsbury

For the first 5 years I scrapped mainly for a boy so maybe I can help a little. It's definitely more difficult but very doable if you replace some of the girly elements with more masculine ones. So for example, where you'd normally embellish with a flower/bling, you'd replace that with gears, stars, keys, arrows, distressed flourishes, etc. Geometric shapes like circles and hexagons also give a more masculine feel. Definitely think Tim Holtz if you want a distressed masculine look. When my little guy was a baby, I did a lot of clean and simple layouts and would include lots of cars, trucks, planes, frogs, bugs, etc.

I also went ahead and used a couple of flowers and leaves if there was a female (i.e. me, the grandmas, aunts, etc) in the picture with my little guy. There are a lot of little boy layouts in my gallery (maybe not the first page because I just added a little girl to the mix) if you want to have a look. Good luck and have fun!

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to Mama2Thomas

I have 3 boys and 3 grandson and only 1 granddaugther. I have lots of boy LO's. I struggle with just the opposite.

I find it hard to do girl pages for my dgd.

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68
In response to creater1

I have 4 nephews I love to scrap. It's nice to have a break from the girliness I usually use on my daughter.

There are afew cool boy lines out there. The ones I know of are older (as I'm just starting back up after 2 years) My style tends to run thru both bright and funky to softer and romantic tho so it's probably easier for me to switch gears.

If you prefer a softer Romantic style you can always use blues and greens and yellows and continue your own style. Nothing wrong with flowers on a boy layout

Edited by HerHighness68 on 09-23-13 08:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to HerHighness68

There's lots of cute boy stuff out there. I have a lot of fun cropping my little grandson. Think: neutrals, blues, browns, oranges, reds, yellows. Enjoy!

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68

here are a few of my favorite boy layouts

My Muddy Buddy By HerHighness68

Smash Cake By HerHighness68

Mmmmmmm Hand By HerHighness68

cindy312
Diva
cindy312

I'm the mom of one son, so 99.9% of my scrapping is boy stuff. You're not alone!

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to cindy312

I do mostly boy layouts.

I love Ginger Williams' style for boy layouts. http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

Stephanie D
Guru
Stephanie D
In response to runzalot81

I just know why I find it so hard. Since I am all over with my normal style his book look so simple. I will post some layout this weekend. I have one long long week.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Stephanie D

I scrap for three boys. Now using pink, I have a hard time with!

Vivian Lake
Guru
Vivian Lake
In response to binkiemonstermom

I make nothing but boy LO's and the occasional girl LO is nearly impossible for me!! I agree with Alissa - check out Ginger Williams. She's my inspiration.

Also I have a blog too

www.viviansdesk.blogspot.com

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 09-25-13 03:52 AM
In response to Vivian Lake

I just have one son, so I scrap pretty exclusively for boys. I'd suggest checking out some of the Echo Park lines - they've had a lot of great boy ones out in the last year or so. Bo Bunny has had some great boy ones as well - On the Go is still available, last I checked, and is perfect for boys.

For embellishments, I use a LOT of stars, but also gears, banners, circles. I like adding background stamps with designs like chickenwire, which I think gives it a boy feel. I use a lot of primary colours and greens on my pages. You can check out my gallery for some ideas if you'd like! It can be challenging scrapping for boys since there are SO many wonderful girly things out there.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to J-M

Try switching out the flowers for things like gears, stars, arrows, layered circles, chipboard elements, etc.; the girly ribbons for boy ribbons, twill, rick rack, twine, wire, etc.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to J-M

My son is now 30 but I've begun scrapping pages of him as a boy. He held a pencil & crayon before age 2 & drew on everything he could get his hands on, so I went with art themed LO's. Paint brushes, crayons, easel work great for little guys. Also aminals, either cutesy or Zoo work great for boy themes. You could do a LO titled "Wild Side" & do lions; bears; monkeys & giraffes etc. Also, are you or his Dad into sports/have a favorite team? That's always fun to do for a baby boy. Hope some of these ideas help:)

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to flwrgrl

what Jenny said - agree with all the elements! scrapping for two boys, I manage somehow to include pinks, glitters, flowers, blings, butterflies, all the rest. Yes, it's in a more masculine manner, yet.. darker colors and mostly boyish elements like arrows and gears work best. Lots of Echo park and DCWV and BasicGrey papers - somehow the distressed look of the latter works well with the boys pages.

I scrap mostly photos of my two boys, including baby boy pics - check out the gallery if you wish.

and when you get tired of blue and more blue, go with green, orange, yellow, red, maroon, even pink - bolder darker shades than girls but they still work.

boysmom
Pro
boysmom
In response to OlesyaK.

I pretty much only scrap boys as well. Lots of good ideas above. When they are little, there are many cute little boy lines with frogs and animals and toy trucks and all that little boy stuff. As they get older, school lines with primary colors, and sports stuff. I also use a lot of blues, browns, greens, reds; both bright and dark shades. Replace embellishments like flowers with gears, clocks, tape measures. Burlap ribbons. Lots of dark inking. Birds and leaves on nature pages. And then comes sports, and you just look for things that match the uniform and you can always use big numbers as an embellishment.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to boysmom

For years I scrapbooked boys pages and lusted after all the beautiful pink girlie girl paper for baby girls! Seemed like I could never find any boy themed paper that I liked. Finally, I have two granddaughters and I have been sadly disappointed in the current selections of paper made specifically for baby girls! And now, I seem to find all kinds of incredibly cute baby boy themed paper. That's the way it goes - the grass always looks greener on the other side!

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to dsouza

Don't feel limited to using lines that are specifically created for babies or kids. Personally, I hate pastels and the cutesy themes that seem to dominate these, so I'd be really frustrated if I felt I needed to use them. I'm currently making a baby album for a friend who just had a little boy, and I'm using Teresa Collins' Memories line. Just look for lines that speak to you, rather than worrying about the "theme". HTH

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to *jesse*

I only have a boy and I agree with the suggestions that people have already made. I use A LOT of gears.

I've never had trouble with boy layouts because my design aesthetic tends to be more suited to boy layouts. I don't think I have ever used a flower on a page!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics