Username Post: I learned to scan layouts!        (Topic#1591131)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

For me its a big deal because I'm not the best at learning new computer applications!

However - I have mastered this! I'm using my HP 3-in-1 printer and scanning them right in. It's doing a beautiful job!

I have to turn it so its scanned in 4 sections and I learned the hard way - It won't work with 1,200 or even 600 dpi. Has to be scanned in 300 dpi (or less) or it scans with corners missing.

I tried auto-stitch and I just wasn't happy with it. They were coming out slightly blurry and I couldn't get it right.

My son picked up a $99 copy of photoshop for me and that is awesome - They stitch right up and it just takes minutes. The longest part is getting it cropped and turned exactly straight.

Now I have started the task of scanning in 28 scrapbooks from the past 5 or 6 years - most with around 85 pages in them.

Only have 20 more pages and I'm finished with the first one and ready to send it in to be printed.

All layouts go into folders of every category applicable. Before we were married, friends, my extended family (brother's, mom, aunt's & uncles), Bill's extended family, each of my kids and their families, each of Bill's with their families, various vacation, Hawaii, Germany, Italy - some layouts are in 7 or 8 categories.

When I need a nice gift now - if I get these done by Christmas I will pull the one for my extended family and make a book for mom. It will have my family and my brother's families and other her grandchildren. I will make one on John's family which will be when they were dating up through current layouts of their daughter.

We've been to Key West several times so I may take all the pictures from the different trips to Key West and make a book for us. Or Hawaii - we go twice a year for a 3 or 4 weeks each time so I have a ton of Hawaii layouts.

Possibilities are endless! I will make a nice book for each trip we have taken together! One for South America - one for Australia, one for Japan and one for China.

I love to scrap our funny stories and I may make a book of just our funny stories for my husband! I think he would enjoy that.

I love to take pictures of animals and may even make a book for our granddaughters of zoo and animal layouts!

The original layouts - I will frame some of my very favorites and hang them on the wall. Other favorites will be kept in new albums with just layouts that I think are my favorite layouts. The rest - since they will be in the books I'm having printed chronologically, if the pages aren't anything special, I may disassemble them and use some of the parts again.

I have about 2,000 pages of layouts. Maybe more. I have almost 12' of scrapbooks. At the rate I'm going (I've been scrapping 5 years) - in 5 more years I will have 24' of scrapbooks. I can't keep at this pace! But I love to scrap nearly every picture.

This will make the printed scrapbooks about 1' - 2' on the bookshelf and hopefully the crafted scrapbooks about 2' or 3'!

Can you tell I'm excited?

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Henri Jean

Henri, this is one tremendous job!! next up will be digital scrapping - so you don't have to scan after LOL))
it's awesome!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to OlesyaK.

The only reason I haven't jumped into digi is because I have thousands and thousands of dollars in tools and supplies!

I thought it would be great to do on trips - I could scrap in Hawaii when Bill is working or on sea days on cruise ships. However, the problem would be the scanner. I would need to scan in so many things.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

I like the tactile aspect of non-digital scrapbooking. I love to feel the paper, feel the flowers, feel the ribbon. And putting the page all together. I work on a computer all day. I just don't want to do my scrapbooking primarily on a computer as well! I'm like that with books, magazines and newspapers as well. I have a Kindle but I always go back to a book I can feel. Not sure how long we will continue to have hard copy magazines and newspapers. They all seem to be struggling financially. But it will be a sad day to me when I have to read my daily newspaper on-line!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dsouza

I know you are right dsouza - I like working with the paper and the embellies and the ATG.

Truth is, I would probably enjoy doing some of both - paper when I'm home and digi when I'm travelling but doubt I'll ever learn digi. I don't want to do digi at home and I can't scan things in to use it when I'm travelling.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

Henri Jean
I pay a service to professionally scan my pages and I love the results. The price varied depending on the number of pages I sent in and/or if they were running a special. Usually it was 50 cents a page.

I just bite the bullet and paid for scanning. And I'm a REAL cheapo! I looked at it this way...here I made this beautiful book I wanted to share and reproduce...what's another $50. Several books later, it's the same story.

heidihug
Resident
heidihug
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I paid $70+ to scan in/print layouts for my SIL this past winter, even though she'd had a falling out with us last year and she hasn't spoken to me for more than 18 months. They're all pages of her family that I took and scrapped, and I wanted to be the bigger person and share what I had so those images and memories aren't lost to them.

At home, I have a lovely new large-format printer, but no scanner. It's my dream to buy a large format flatbed scanner sometime, so I can just scan in a page as soon as it's done. I'm not likely to ever toss a page after scanning (some of my friends are doing that, and I understand, space-saving wise); as I see a lot of them as my art, and not just documentation. But it's nice to be able to share them online and via email.

I'm pretty sure I won't ever do digital scrapping, as I work on a computer all day, too. Plus, I just wouldn't find it rewarding as I worked in marketing and design for years, and it just seems too...easy? maybe, to me at least. I so much enjoy spending time creating things with my hands, and have something 3-D and tactile to touch and feel. Maybe that's why I like gardening and cooking so much, too.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to heidihug

Please tell me who scans for 50 cents a page! I've done 2 out of 29 books so far.

I have around 2,000 pages I want scanned so I would have to do it in chunks - can't put that much money into it at once.

The ones I'm doing are turning out really well but boy, is it time consuming. Five pages to scan, stitch together and edit color takes exactly 45 minutes.

I am keeping all the memories in permanent printed books. The pages that are just documentation - I do a lot of history and research with a few pictures - those will go into the printed books and then the original pages will go out since there is nothing special about them. The ones where I worked with embellies and tried to make them really nice - those will stay.

I've scanned one folder as "America the Beautiful" for beaches, mountains, rivers and other scenic layouts. I've started files for 5 states and some of them will get their own printed book in addition to the numerical books.

I'm really liking the way the project is coming along.

The very best may get framed and put on the wall since there will be copies in the printed books. May give some to my step-daughter and daughter-in-law too since they will be in printed books. But most likely my favorites will go on the wall.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics