Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Sharing hobbies.....is it ever a good idea?        (Topic#1591299)
olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I've been scrapbooking for about 10 years now and my husband has been flying airplanes for about 8 years. Up until now we've been supportive to each other but kept our hobbies to ourselves. The last few months he's been pressuring me to fly with him (just the thought makes me break out in a sweat!) We joke around about it a lot but I know he's really serious. And I'm REALLY scared. Recently I told him "OK....since you want me to share your hobby then I want you to share mine. I'll spend an afternoon in your airplane if you'll spend an afternoon in my scraproom scrapbooking with me." Of course I thought he'd run screaming at the thought of being cooped up in that little room with nothing but paper, scissors and glue. To my surprise.....and dismay he agreed to the deal. Boy, I really stuck my foot in my mouth there. Just wondering what hobbies do you all share with your spouses? Does your husband scrapbook with you? I've been married 25 years and the only "hobby" we've ever shared is kids, LOL!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to olleharr

Bill and I enjoy travel as a hobby and we love to snorkel together although we rarely do that anymore. He bought me tanks and I plan to learn to scuba dive but I don't know when.

I do not want Bill to scrapbook with me. Our taste is completely different, he is not neat and particular and he looks at layouts I do and if there is a 2 x 2 empty box somewhere he suggests I get another picture and put it there so I don't waste space. Plus he does not take care of things and looses everything. I know where everything is. With him scrapping with me I'd never find things again.

When I want household repairs done or things hung I always ask my son because he does a meticulous job. Bill has no interest in how things look, just the functionality. He painted a wall for me once and painted around the curtains. I never did get all the paint off the balance. Does this sound like a man I want to help me with my scrapbooking?

Once in a while when I'm cooking he comes in and helps. He gets the recipe, turns the heat up and tells me its okay, it will cook faster. He doesn't follow the recipe and its just a frustration for me. His ideas don't work.

One time I ran out for 10 minutes (dinner was aready in the oven - I had turned the oven off). He got hungry and didn't want to wait 10 minutes while I ran to pick up our son at work to bring him home for dinner. SO he made tuna fish. He opened 4 cans of tuna.

He sort of drained it - the tuna was swimming around it all the liquid and he had added a ton of mayonnaise. And onions in huge chunks.

I asked him how he was going to eat it, if he spread it on bread it was so wet it would go right through and make mush of his bread.

He told me he was going to thicken the tuna. I asked how he was going to do that. It's easy he said as he grabbed the flour container.

I asked him what he thought he was going to do and he said he was going to thicken it - he was going to add a cup of flour to it.

That is why we do not share hobbies. Its best he do whatever it is with his license plates all day and I scrapbook. He can be in the room on his computer (he is now) but he cannot cross the line.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Henri Jean

My DH was that way with his car. He would take long drives while I scrapbooked. It was perfect. Once the kids were up and out, though, I had no more excuses to stay behind. I now join him on his road trips. I have to admit....they are a blast. I love them. He takes tons of photos for me to scrap, so in a way we share my hobby. The only problem is that I'm never home enough to scrap them!

nanof8 
Resident
In response to Luvmyfam

My husband and I both enjoy traveling and photography I scrapbook the photos and he paints them. So yes we do share our hobbies we also appreciate what the other does.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to nanof8

We joke all the time about how his hobby could kill me and my hobby might give him what....a papercut? LOL! We are both very respectful of each others hobbies but I'm not sure I'm up for sharing.

Stephanie47
Tenant
Stephanie47
In response to olleharr

We go off-roading together. He loves to take the gps, download it and map where we've been. I take pictures and scrapbook our adventures. So, in a way, we are really sharing all hobbies together.

We also love exploring nature, going for walks, watching the northern lights,.. This winter he wants to take me ice fishing - wish me luck!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Stephanie47

He doesn't share my hobbies, except to make the necessary impressed noises when I show him my latest pages and cards, and to come along and support my choir concerts. But I have to share his. It would be lovely if I could retreat to my craft corner while he plays in his man-cave. But my man seems physically unable to do any of his stuff alone. He always wants me there with him to hold the ladder, or hand him a tool, or set up the hose for him, or just do the gardening with him to keep him company.

Bless. Ah well, I can't complain. If that's the worst I have to put up with, I'm a lucky lady!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Yes, my husband and I both love traveling and baseball and video games and board games (not the Parker Brothers/Milton Bradley kind, but stuff like Pandemic and Chrononauts). And he actually has spent some time in my craft room - he's made his own album of a summer camp he went to as a kid.

Veteran
In response to aquabunny

I think some things aren't meant to be shared! The last time he "borrowed" my stuff, he used my plier things (that I use to cut the shanks off of buttons) to cut his toenails! Never again--I got new ones and dared him to touch them. He knows my sewing room and my scrap room are off limits! I think his hobby must be watching tv, so while he does that, I scrap! Sorry, but I don't play well with others when my supplies (and toys) are involved.

Edited by Mimiof123 on 10-03-13 05:29 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Mimiof123

His toenails?!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

How funny. Several mentioned they travelled and took pictures together so we do share that. We both have a camera around our necks at all times on trips. He does take some beautiful photos - what I don't get, he does. And he's been known to take up to 800 in a day so he definitely gets some good ones. He clicks as fast as he can. I am slow and really hold my breath and wait for the perfect shot. But the best pictures can come from either one of our cameras - I never know once they are downloaded onto the computer as to which camera they came from.

Unless I'm in it - then its his camera or he's in it - then its my camera. If we are both in it - it can be either camera.

But I don't want to play with his license plates and I don't want him playing with my scrap stuff.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

Oh boy I LOVE to fly even flew for the first time on my own (almost) for my 18th bday years ago!!!
No biggie you can handle it girl!
I NEVER do scrapbooking with my soon to be hubby!!! However I do always at the middle or end of the process of sb ing say what do you think and usually (unless wataching sports) says nice try this or that!!! I value his opinion!

Frau_Cooney
Guru
Frau_Cooney
In response to mindygail

I think sharing interests is a way to grow as a couple, even after 25 years. I think trying something that interests the other person shows concern for knowing that person better. That said, if you are honestly afraid to fly, I would think he could respect that.

I love roller coasters. My husband didn't really have a lot of experience but wasn't afraid of them. So he went with me, rode in the front car and understood what I loved about it now we can enjoy them together. I don't expect him to want to scrapbook with me, but it couldn't hurt him for an hour. And I could play a video game with him. (He doesn't really have a hobby, mostly he surfs the internet and teaches himself computer things in his spare time.)

My parents have been married for 52 years and agree on nothing except art. My father is an artist and my mother learned early on in their marriage that they could share that. She dabbles herself, but mostly enjoy the art exhibits and artist community he is part of.

nanof8 
Resident

When I download photos I put mine in one folder and husbands in another folder so I know who takes what

Sewflake
Diva
Sewflake

• Henri Jean Said:
Bill and I enjoy travel as a hobby and we love to snorkel together although we rarely do that anymore. He bought me tanks and I plan to learn to scuba dive but I don't know when.

I do not want Bill to scrapbook with me. Our taste is completely different, he is not neat and particular and he looks at layouts I do and if there is a 2 x 2 empty box somewhere he suggests I get another picture and put it there so I don't waste space. Plus he does not take care of things and looses everything. I know where everything is. With him scrapping with me I'd never find things again.

When I want household repairs done or things hung I always ask my son because he does a meticulous job. Bill has no interest in how things look, just the functionality. He painted a wall for me once and painted around the curtains. I never did get all the paint off the balance. Does this sound like a man I want to help me with my scrapbooking?

Once in a while when I'm cooking he comes in and helps. He gets the recipe, turns the heat up and tells me its okay, it will cook faster. He doesn't follow the recipe and its just a frustration for me. His ideas don't work.

One time I ran out for 10 minutes (dinner was aready in the oven - I had turned the oven off). He got hungry and didn't want to wait 10 minutes while I ran to pick up our son at work to bring him home for dinner. SO he made tuna fish. He opened 4 cans of tuna.

He sort of drained it - the tuna was swimming around it all the liquid and he had added a ton of mayonnaise. And onions in huge chunks.

I asked him how he was going to eat it, if he spread it on bread it was so wet it would go right through and make mush of his bread.

He told me he was going to thicken the tuna. I asked how he was going to do that. It's easy he said as he grabbed the flour container.

I asked him what he thought he was going to do and he said he was going to thicken it - he was going to add a cup of flour to it.

That is why we do not share hobbies. Its best he do whatever it is with his license plates all day and I scrapbook. He can be in the room on his computer (he is now) but he cannot cross the line.

Not only can you scrap but you tell a good story!!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

Oh Henri Jean, you never fail to leave me in stitches!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dwelch

Thanks - both of you. It was funny when it happened and its still funny. If I had been 5 minutes later getting home - he would have added the flour to the tuna to thicken it!

He told me that I added flour to thicken things all the time. I told him that was true but I cooked it. I didn't serve him raw flour.

Veteran

Yes! Is that gross, or what? He offered to give them back. I politely declined and replaced them!

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to Mimiof123

Oh my Henri.. I am in tears here.. that is too funny .. reading this to my husband.. he is laughing also.. God bless those husbands.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Mimiof123

• Mimiof123 Said:
Yes! Is that gross, or what? He offered to give them back. I politely declined and replaced them!

Oh I wouldn't have bought another pair, I would have had him sterilise them properly and give them back to me. Make him work for it.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics