Username Post: I feel dumb        (Topic#1591391)
New Kid On the Block

I have been scrapping for 5 years and I just found out what the spacers are supposed to be used for. I have thrown mine away because I didn't realize what they were :(. My question-- should I go back and add spacers to all my albums( I have 20) or just leave them? I just thought the fanning out was normal! Now I am shaking my head at myself.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to happyrdr

Depends how much your pages fan out. You can make more with chipboard and a hold puncher.

Veteran
In response to Henri Jean

LOL. Sounds like some of the things I do!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

LOL, you and me both, but most of my pages aren't that fat so they don't really fan out. And I haven't thrown mine away because I never throw anything away - I have loads! I might add some between the few pages that do have more bulky embellishments on. Thanks!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to happyrdr

I married young the first time (18 years old). I don't know what I was thinking. One day early in my marriage the clothes dryer just stopped getting the clothes dry. I was mystified! I called a repairman (which we could ill afford at the time!) and he came out to fix my dryer. Turns out nothing was wrong with my dryer. I had never cleaned out the lint tray! In fact, I didn't know that was lint in there. I thought it was some kind of a filter and had been carefully keeping the layers of lint in place! Talk about feeling dumb!!!

So, don't feel dumb! At least you didn't have to pay a repairman to come fix a perfectly fine dryer!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to dsouza

I think I am dumb too... what are spacers???

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mindygail

Spacers are the little strips of cardboard or chipboard - 12" long for a 12 x 12 and about an inch or so wide that have 3 holes punches in them so make the inside edges a little further apart so the thickness of the pages won't make them fan out so much. Did that make sense.

My son is a computer tech. He works for Yamaha as an IT guy - has for nearly 6 years.

When he was a master tech for another company I called him in a panic on day - my computer was not working - nothing worked and I had a real estate contract to do and I was in a mess. Please hurry over.

He got off work and came over to help me out.

He was so mad. He told me never to call him with an emergency again without checking first to see if my computer was plugged in. Guess the cats were playing near the plug and it came out of the wall.

Computer was fine - once he plugged it back in for me.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

It's a good thing you and I aren't neighbors, Henri Jean!!! Or maybe it would be a good thing. . . double the scrapbooking stuff to share!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to dsouza

Certainly a personal choice, probably not a bad idea to ease the pressure on the book spines. But think about using 3 D-ring binders next time, you can fit SO many more pages in, and moving around is a breeze! I will never go back to post albums.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ScrappyMama6

I'm using 3-D and I like them better than posts because I can put more in them. I scrap chrono so I never have to move anything around.

However, I'm scanning them all in right now - 29 big 3-D binders with about 85 pages each. I'm on book 3 and am disappointed that somehow the lower corner of the first 10 pages are so are really bent. I don't know why that happened. The weight I guess.

Will be so glad to get all these things in bound books and the originals packed away or dismantled. Then my favorites will be framed and on the wall or even given to the people in them.

I opened my wedding album and half the stuff on it had fallen off - so many I've having to repair and they are only 5 years old!

dsouze - I think we would have a blast if we were neighbors and I'd love to have a scrap buddy close to me! How cool!

I have one really good scrap buddy here in Ocala but she lives across town and she works full time so sometimes we go a month or more without seeing each other.

New Kid On the Block
In response to happyrdr

Thanks for the replies. I am also wondering if I have to use the cardboard spacers or can I just add enough extension posts to make the book even out? Is there a difference between the two ways? Does it matter?

bbarthej
Expert
bbarthej

• Henri Jean Said:

My son is a computer tech. He works for Yamaha as an IT guy - has for nearly 6 years.

When he was a master tech for another company I called him in a panic on day - my computer was not working - nothing worked and I had a real estate contract to do and I was in a mess. Please hurry over.

He got off work and came over to help me out.

He was so mad. He told me never to call him with an emergency again without checking first to see if my computer was plugged in. Guess the cats were playing near the plug and it came out of the wall.

Computer was fine - once he plugged it back in for me.

Thanks for the laugh Henri!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to happyrdr

Henri and dsouza (what IS your name? ) you're both a hoot!

• happyrdr Said:
Thanks for the replies. I am also wondering if I have to use the cardboard spacers or can I just add enough extension posts to make the book even out? Is there a difference between the two ways? Does it matter?

The extension posts are so that you can actually fit the extra pages in. The cardboard spacers go on the posts between the page protectors to stop the spine from being half the depth of the opening side of the album. They kind of complement each other. Does that make sense?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel UK

My real on-my-birth certificate first name is Henri. My dad was HENRY - I'm HENRI!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to RedSquirrel UK

• RedSquirrel Said:
Henri and dsouza (what IS your name? ) you're both a hoot!

My name is Diane! My whole name is Martha Diane but I've always been called Diane.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to dsouza

OOOOHHHH ok now it makes sense. they space things - duh !thanks

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mindygail

Pleased to meet you Diane!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics