Username Post: Which should I buy?        (Topic#1591479)
flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

I think I'm ready for the next step in my scrapbooking journey: purchasing a die-cutting machine! But, which one? I LOVE how intricate the spellbinder templates look. I'm super intimidated by cricket-looks very complicated. I'm drawn to the Sizzix Big Shot etc because of the crank handle (pathetic aren't I?) Advise please!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to flwrgrl

You will get as many different answers as there are members here, lol. Everybody has their favorites, and the preference depends on what you will use it for most. And how you like to work.
I do not like to be connected to the computer, so I will buy nothing that isn't stand alone, meaning can be used without hooking up to the computer. I have a Cricut, I use it for most of my letters, titles, some images, and random stuff. It required cartridges, which can get expensive, or you have the option of hooking to the computer and using the Cricut Craft Room. Like I said, I don't want to be on the computer, so I can't speak about CCR, but a lot of people really like it. I also have a Big Kick, I use it for my embossing folders, and some shapes with my Nestabilities.
A lot of people have the Silhouette and really love it, I'm sure it is wonderful but it is computer driven, I think. I don't know a lot about it other than what little I've read in forums here.
My advice is decide what you think you will use it for the most, then do some research and ask questions. Good luck!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to chocolateaxel

Yup, totally depends on you and your likes, abilities etc.....

I have a BigShot and was happy with that for a long time. It's easy to use and you can get quite a selection of dies from different companies.....

I purchased my Silhouette Cameo last Christmas and I LOVE it! I am so happy that I got it and can't imagine scrapping without it now! I love that you can buy designs for .99, I love that I can "print and cut", I love that I can sketch with it, I love that I can design my own stuff (Kerri Bradford's website has classes that I highly recommend). If you purchase the Cameo (not the Portrait), then it has an SD slot and you can print designs without being connected to the computer.
I usually use it connected to the computer, though. It's pretty easy to hook up and just start cutting stuff. If you want to design your own and get into some of the other features, there is a learning curve.....

poi
poi 
Tenant
poi
  • poi on 10-09-13 06:19 PM
In response to kiyawinn

Love my cricut. I am not a fan on printing and being hooked to the computer so those don't work for me, I get distracted too easily LOL

Expert
In response to poi

I love my cricut! I have a sizzix and side kick as well

I don't know how to properly use the craft room for cricut

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to bellesmommy05

My first die cutting machine was a cricut. Loved it and started collecting cartridges. Then I bought the Cuttlebug just for embossing but I have fallen in love with nestabilities as well. Then I bought a Gypsy to go with my cricut and loved how I could load my cartridges, design what I needed on the screen knowing exactly where it was going to cut on the mat, and not having to bring my cartridges when I went on a retreat.

Then my gypsy died and I didn't like going back to just using the cartridges. I started hearing about the Cameo and did some research. Sure I needed a computer with it but I was used to using my gypsy and instead of paying $150+ for a new gypsy, I put that toward another household laptop and bought myself a cameo.

I haven't used it a lot yet however I love it. I love that I can find an image I need either in the silhouette store or somewhere online and can download instantly to use. There are soooooo many free files out there too. I have spent less than $10 on images in the year that I've had it. It can cut any true type font on your computer and again there are thousands of free fonts out there.

Like someone said earlier, it depends on your personal preference and how you like to scrap, but the cameo is what works for me. I still have my cricut but it is feeling a bit neglected. I know there is the cricut craft room now, I just haven't called to have them link my cartridges (since they were already linked to my late gypsy). Eventually I will.

Good luck with your decision!

Veteran
In response to pugs223

You will probably get as many answers as there are people! I love my Cricut. I also have a Big Shot and a Cuttlebug. I use my Cricut daily because I like the fact that I can size the designs to fit my space. With dies, you can't do that and are stuck with the size you have. I use Cricut Craft Room for all of my layouts. The only time that my computer is tied to the Cricut is during the actual cutting process. I can design my titles, embellishments or whatever I'm working on anywhere I have internet access. Then when I get home, all I have to do is cut. The Craft Room is super easy to learn and gives you settings for whatever weight of paper you are using. This set up works for me, although I still use my die cutters for intricate designs and some old dies that I love. Hope this helps.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to pugs223

Darla is right, everyone has their preferences.

I began with a Cuttlebug, which I still love most out of all my tools. I have a basic set of dies, but they are addictive.

After 18 months of scrapping, I got a Silhouette. I chose it because I can design a shape on the computer (I have no problems using my laptop) and cut it on the Silhouette for free. No extra cartridge costs as Cricuts have, and it also cuts any true-type font installed on your computer. Did I mention that's for free?

Now the Silhouettes cut 12x12" and come with SD card slots so you don't even have to have the computer attached, you just copy your image onto the card and stick it into the Silhouette.

So I have both a manual and an electronic cutter and I love them both. Good luck with your choice!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 10-10-13 06:25 AM
In response to poi

• soccermom23 Said:
Love my cricut. I am not a fan on printing and being hooked to the computer so those don't work for me, I get distracted too easily LOL

That's me - and I am on the computer all day for work so getting away from it is my therapy.

I am a fan of the Quickutz/Lifestyle Crafts now owned by We 'r Memory Keepers line.
I bought my first Revolution a long time ago and now own two of those plus the Epic 6.
I can cut and emboss and can use dies from every other manufacturer in it.

Don't know what the future holds with the new ownership. I hope that WRMK continues the line and improves the designs. When it was QK the designs were wonderful, Lifestyle Crafts not so much.

Good luck in your hunt.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to GMFTS

Thanks guys! All your responses have been very helpful! I really appreciate the input

Miss Giebel
Tenant
Miss Giebel
In response to flwrgrl

I have a Cuttlebug, Cricut Expression and a Silhouette Portrait. I've also had a Sizzix die cutter (old big red).
They all have their pluses and minuses!

Silhouette Portrait: If you are "good" with the computer I would suggest the Silhouette Portrait (or Cameo if you want a larger cutter). The portrait cuts 8x12. It's biggest Plus is that it cuts ANY font on my computer. I love that! It also cuts SVG's which you will need to upgrade from the free software to the Silhouette Designer Studio software that is on the average between $40 and $50. The second big plus to the Silhouette Portrait is the quality of cut. It makes a finer and more delicate cut that the Cricut. I love mine! I would have to say the negative is that you really do have to be computer savvy to really get the full use of the machine. To be able to ungroup, release compound path and/or to weld. These are some things that really make the silhouette so fantastic but also a little tricky to use until you learn how. Once you do the sky is the limit. You can convert coloring book pages or other line art into SVG's using a free program (Inkscape) and bring them into the Designer software to cut! It really is AWESOME!

Cricut: The Cricut is fantastic for a beginner electronic cutting machine. It's super easy to use and there a hundreds and thousands of YouTube tutorials that will teach you every single aspect of the machine!! The cuts are super simple to layer and they have really refined the whole layering process over the years. It's really hard to mess it up. You have the option of hooking up to the Cricut Craft room which I highly recommend!! It really gives you the control to position your cuts on the virtual mat and eliminate paper waste! But you do not need a computer at all to cut with the Cricut, unless you buy the Cricut mini which is meant to be used with the craft room only. One big downside is the need for cartridges. It's a plus and a negative. You really can get by with only a handful of cartridges because literally there a hundreds of cuts on each cartridge but they keep coming out with new cartridges so if you like lots of variety you might be tempted to keep buying new cartridges. I have about 45 cartridges and I have not cut anywhere near all the cuts that I could on all my cartridges.

I also like the electronic die cutting machines vs. the manual b/c you can cut a shape at any size as opposed to the one size that the die comes in!

Edited by Miss Giebel on 10-10-13 03:16 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Miss Giebel

I'm loving the Cricut with Craft room. My cricut was completely neglected. Had a gypsy, hated it but now they are history anymore. Cricut quit making them. Now with Craft Room I use it all the time.

I always have my laptop with me and make titles and things everywhere. With craft room there is basically no learning curve. I got it and within 10 minutes had completed my first tile with welding - welding is super simple with craft room.

You only hook it up to the cricut to cut.

When we travel I always have my laptop so I can make labels anywhere I have an internet connection and from any computer but I do have to download the craft room first.

I have a Big Shot and tons of nesties and things. Never use it. I'm sure some day I will get on a Big Shot kick and start using them but in the year I've had it I'm maybe used it 3 days.

Bought a Fiskers Fuse in January - supposed to be awesome. Its still in the box. Some day I will take it out and look at it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics