Username Post: What do you feed your dog?        (Topic#1591493)
cutencrafty
Diva
cutencrafty

I'm trying to figure out what food to feed my puppy. I asked the vet she said Science Diet/Hills, Purina, Iams/Eukanema (sp?). But after looking at what's in them and reviews I'm really confused, I feel even though the vet told me these are good ones to use I can't help to think a food with more real food is better. Like one with no by-products and one that has sweet potatoes, bananas, flaxseed, chicken, etc.... The vet was going by the research done and they newer ones don't have a lot of research but they are the ones that contain better ingrediants.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 10-10-13 06:06 AM
In response to cutencrafty

We use Avoderm. Pearl loves it and she has a beautiful coat. She is a lab mix. We started her on the chicken. She is two now and seems to like variety so we rotate. We are using the duck flavor now and she loves it. We don't give her any people food. Although I know she has snuck cheese and bread at different times. Good luck!

Edited by vawm on 10-10-13 06:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to vawm

I feed mine Nutro. That's what the vet recommended.it seems to be good with my dog's sensitive tummy.

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to AmyWho

We feed our boxer Costco's Kirkland grain-free with salmon and I think sweet potato. He seems to be sensitive to corn (the most common dog food allergy) and chicken in dog food is a common source of hidden corn. His skin looks much less pink and irritated (he's white, it shows). Kirkland is not top of the line, but it's good and a very good value for the money. Plus it's working for him. Our closest Costco is 30 minutes away and even after factoring in gas and an annual membership fee, it's a good bit cheaper than the Blue Buffalo we fed him before, and he's less pink.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to Karen B

We feed our dogs Taste of the Wild. It's a grain-free food with varied protien sources. The dogs really seem to like it. It is about $42 for a large bag(40-50 lb., can't remember exactly) in my area.

KAR49
KAR49 
Tenant
KAR49
  • KAR49 on 10-17-13 04:08 PM
In response to vawm

I'm not an expert, but am the ex wife of a Vet.....human food is the worse for dogs......they're digestive system is not made for it. At my ex's clinic they've used Science Diet for years..........I've always used Iams and my dogs have never ever tasted human food and never had any problems...............they're all about the same price............If you trust your Vet enough to trust her with your new dog, I'd trust her recommendations...........Good luck and enjoy your new puppy!

Nilsa6363
Expert
Nilsa6363
In response to KAR49

We feed our Pomeranian Earthborn Holistic (for small breed) he's only 5.5 lbs. and it has worked well for him. He has a very sensitive stomach.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Nilsa6363

Some dogs are allergic to chicken.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to NMlady

I'm a bad pet mom I guess, because I feed my dog Purina.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to NMlady

I also feed my dog Purina the smartblend. The lamb and rice. She is a cockapoo and has ear problems. I read that lamb is good for that. She has been eating for a few years now. I do still have to put drops in her ears sometimes but she hasn't had to go back to the vet for them since I changed over.

We rarely give her real food. But, there are a few things we do give her when we are eating it. Popcorn, pineapple, watermelon, apples, cantaloupe and when dh kills a deer we give her pieces of it while we are processing it.

Yes, I know my dog is probably not normal. She will paw at me and cry to get pineapple. lol That is the only food she does that for though.

cutencrafty
Diva
cutencrafty
In response to TraciK

I decided to go with the more holistic dog food.

Really who knows. Our dog we had when growing up we would give him those little Cesar pedigree squares and he lived to be like 18. And my other dog only lived till 7 years old. So is it what they are eating, their breed, how they are bred.

That is funny about the pineapple.

elizabeth97
Veteran
elizabeth97

I give my dogs Gravy Train, they seem to like it well enough and it doesn't cost very much.

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to elizabeth97

Purina One.

The most important thing is to look at the ingredient list and if meat isn't the number one ingredient, LEAVE IT IN THE STORE!

Dogs are carnivores...if corn or anything else is the first ingredient, that is just filler they do NOT need...which means they eat more to get what they need from it. It might cost a few dollars extra to get Purina One or another type that has meat as number one ingredient, but they will east less because they don't need to eat as much, to be very blunt their poop won't be as gross and stinky, and their coat will be shinier and healthier because they are healthier.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Mercy4Free

Our dog had a rare form of cancer at age one. He is now 10. We feed Blue Buffalo. We also fed their cat food to our 2 kitties. Our kitties lived to the age of 16 and 17.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain

2 of mine eat taste of the wild sierra mountain it has no grain in it.

Skip has a sensitive stomach and has had issues with many other kinds of food and this one doesn't bother him. he loves it.

Pearl is a good eater but tends to gain wait so we got her on this and she has been the same weight for 2 years now. perfect weight for her size and she does have people food here and there mostly veggies though...

Gadget he is our little issue man. He eats Nutro Balance Lamb and rice canned food. He has a choking problem so he can't eat hard food of any kind. poor boy he can only have cheese as a treat. he loves milk bones but can't have them.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to TraciK

Does your dog food have chicken in it. Gadget is allergic to chicken and he has had bad issues with his ears for his 9 years and since I changed from chicken to lamb I have had no problem with it. I had to change his food 3 times to find him a chicken free food. even if it is lamb it might still have chicken stock in it. I was talking to the guy at the Healthy food pet store and he stood there with me for 15 minutes looking at the ingredients of the foods and it is amazing to how many food has chicken stock or broth in it. even treats have it in them.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to dorichatelain

There is an online place called Petflow that has dozens of holistic foods and excellent customer service. You might look at their site and see if you can find something to meet the needs of your dog. I hope this is ok that I mentioned a site here. It has nothing to do with scrapbooking so it is not taking away business from here.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to pinkpaperairedale

We feed our dogs Beniful, which is a Purina brand food. Our retrievers were raised on it as well as most of our other dogs. For anyone else who feeds a Purina brand food(dog or cat) if you call the phone # on the back of the bag they will usually send you coupons to save a dollar or 2 when you buy it again. Since we have so many pets those $ saved can sometimes make the difference for getting food or not for us people. Pets come first in our house, because we are their caregivers and it's not like they can go get a job to help financially.
I am a bit of a coupon freak, so bear with me here...many companies will give you $ saving coupons if you just ask. Some will even give you free product coupons! It never hurts to ask, and most have a 1-800 number so from your land line it doesn't cost anything to call. A lot of other products do the same, look for their phone # on the package and call, they love to hear how much you love their product or even if you have a problem they want to know! OK, my coupon commercial is over. Most of us can use the help with coupons so I HAD to say this
Thanks for listening

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to catzscrapper

Wish that crafting products had $ coupons off a specific product!!

swonders
Diva
swonders
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I know this is kind of an old topic, but I figured I would post for anyone else that runs across it. You can research the type of dog food you are feeding here:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Click on reviews (at the bottom). Dog food is rated from a 1 star to a 6 star product and the reasons for their rating are given based on the guaranteed analysis on the package. There are lots of great foods out there depending on your pet's needs.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics