Username Post: Advice needed        (Topic#1591585)
A1nana 
New Kid On the Block

I was asked about doing an engagement/wedding album for someone and I have no idea how to charge for that. Is there anyone who does this kind of thing that can give me a little guidance?

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to A1nana

my advice is RUN!!! If you don't need the hand full of dollars you will make, don't sign up to do this.

You will spend MANY MANY hours doing this for a couple of dollars in return. After material costs, maybe you will make $100 doing it, if you are very lucky. And the "oh, it will be fun! getting paid to scrapbook" will last all of about an hour.

One of the biggest beefs around here is "not having enough time to scrapbook" so don't sign up to scrapbook for others unless you love the person (or need the money).

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Do it for free. That way you can dowhat you like and enjoy doing it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to southgirl

Exactly what Gelidy said! RUN!

I was in Walgreens last week and the person there, who is darling asked me how much I would charge to make a scrapbook for her and I told her, "I'm sorry but it would really be cost prohibitive. The cost of supplies along would put you in sticker shock. And then my time. I can spent 5-10 hours on just one page sometimes and I just don't want to work for minimum wage so it could easily cost $100-$150 a page with supplies and my time.

And I am behind on my own personal stuff and I want to get it done. I just can't take on scrapping for anyone else right now.

But... I do have a proposition. When you are off a day, let me know. I'll go shopping with you and help you choose what to buy and then we will work on scrapbooks together -I will teach you how. Then you will know how and can make all the scrapbooks you want.

She got so excited and said she loved that idea. She wants to scrap a cruise she went on soon but if she learns how then she can scrap other vacations and her wedding when she gets married and a baby when she has one. She really got excited.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to Henri Jean

I HATE this feeling we have to think of "how much". It's so frustrating. I also crochet, and I will ocassionally sell my pieces. I finished a piece of jewelry 2 weeks ago and then figured out what'd I want for it and asked a couple of friends what they would pay. They were WAY under what I was thinking. I split the difference and still only ended up making about $3 an hour for my time. So not worth it. I made a wedding scrapbook (in my gallery) for a gift for a friend. I had a lot of wedding stuff leftover from scrapping my own. I figured I probably had $200-$250 into it, but to tell you the truth, I'm not sure exactly how much time. IT was for a dear friend, so I didn't care about the time. I made it pretty basic. I think I would have to have charged at least $400 to make even $5 an hour, rough estimate. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Also, "that popular homemade/craft site that starts with an E" has some articles on pricing the items you made if thats helpful at all.

Edited by scrapchica on 10-15-13 07:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

A1nana 
New Kid On the Block
In response to A1nana

Well that just backs up everything I have had going through my mind. I know how I am and I too can put a full day just on one page once I decide on what I'm going to do and I just couldn't settle with how to charge effectively. The answer I see is, there isn't a way to do so. LOL I already have one I am doing for my sons girlfriend for her senior year as a gift. Not to mention my own personal ones.

I like the idea of taking her shopping and helping her pick things out and maybe she can come to my scrap house and work on it there.

Thanks for the good advice!!

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan

Best advice and very kind of you Henri.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to corrie fan

Thank you - and who knows? Maybe my friend at Walgreens will end up being a scrap buddy and going to crops. But even if she doesn't, it will be fun to help her get started. I can make her some titles on my Cricut so it won't be so ridiculously expensive for her to start. Its possible she may love scrapbooking once she gets an idea of how to get going.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 10-15-13 09:01 AM

I only do albums as gifts. I have done an album for each woman in my office when she has a child. Baby's first year. People love it, I can work at my own pace, and I spend what I like.
I did one commissioned album and charged $250 and it wasn't as much fun because I didn't have a sense of the person's style.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to vawm

I just got asked by a friend to do her wedding save the dates and invitations, which are a little different than scrapbooks, but the amount that they wanted to pay would barely have been enough to cover the supplies. In the end, I said I would do it, but I didn't tell her it was really going to cost me more than that much to do them, plus my time. She's a good friend of mine, so I'm basically just doing the rest as a favor.

As far as a scrapbook, I would do it as a wedding gift for them, that way you don't have to worry about all that money stuff and there is less pressure to have a "perfect" scrapbook. I only do scrapbooks as gifts.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to mrsrogers52513

I have done many scrapbooks for others, but I always do them as a gift. I've looked on sites for professional scrapbooking services and it was interesting to see how they charge. Basically, it was anywhere from $20 - $40 per single page. I got the impression that they used pretty basic templates. The more customized your pages the more the pages cost.

I crochet, knit and also do cake decorating but I have a hard and fast rule that I don't do any of it for "sale". No one (and ironically not even your good friends or relatives) want to pay you what the work is worth. Very few people appreciate the value of a hand made craft, in my opinion. Also, if you start doing your crafts for the public or even friends and family it starts to feel like work and I want my crafting to stay fun!!

Veteran
In response to dsouza

I would tell them that they don't have enough money. I've found that the fun leaves it if it is something you "have" to do. I've reached the point in my life that I can pick and choose what I want to do--or not!!! Gift albums are for fun-paid ones, not so much!

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to Mimiof123

Oh gosh...i offered to do a wedding album for a friend last month. Now part of me wishes i hadn't

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to bonprof

I agree with everyone else's experience.

A friend asked me to make a scrapbook of her DD's childhood for her wedding. I ummed and aahed about it like you are, but in the end I told her I wouldn't make it for her, but she could come round to my house and make it with me. We spent around one afternoon a week for 5 months on it, 20 pages. She bought (most of) the consumables and I supplied the tools and advice, and took her shopping. I didn't charge for my time because it was fun getting together as friends.

The worst part was getting her to make any decisions - colours, design, content, anything. I had to supply every bit of the creativity. I was permanently worried that she wouldn't like my ideas, but she did. And her DD loved it.

I just looked back through the photos - it was a lovely album even though I'd only been scrapping for a year.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I agree with everyone too..
if you really really want to do it for her (good friend etc) - do a digital book on shutterfly or another similar service - that way they can have a nice album with custom pages (not just randomly assigned like walmart ) and the best part is if they like it, they can order more!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics