Username Post: Scrapbook Expo        (Topic#1591619)
Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89

Hi everyone!

My BFF and I are looking into going to our first Scrapbook Expo. I just wanted some input and feedback for those of you who have attended one before. I live in CA, but it seems the expo goes to many different states. My DB's mother is a scrapper and has so many different and neat things from the Scrapbook Expos that she has attended. I am still chugging along on my scrapbook for mine and the DB's first year together. Still have to make one for my sister's dairy princess year and the DB's race trucks.

TIA!

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to Alisa89

They are super fun,but here are some things to remember: wear very comfortable shoes, bring cash and leave the credit cards behind, be prepared to wait in long lines, and be prepared to wade through the crowds of crazy, compulsive scrapbookers. It's fun,but a long day.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-17-13 01:06 PM
In response to bonprof

The expos are fun! I definitely recommend going at least once. I just went to my first two this year. Some things that helped me:

-Dress for it to be warm in there, and if it’s cold outside, leave your coat in the car. They usually have the heat on, LOTS of people and it gets warm in there. And you don’t want to be carrying around a coat.

-Bring your own tote bag. You don’t want to carry around a bunch of smaller bags that will probably rip anyway. Also, if you bring your own bag, you'll cut down on temptation to buy something you don't really want just to get the fancy tote bag they are giving with it.

-I always bring a bottle of water and some snacks (meal bars, almonds, etc). You might plan on stopping for lunch at some point, but sometimes you’re having so much fun you’d rather not stop for lunch.

-Rolling totes usually aren't allowed.

- I don't bring a separate purse, and I really limit the number of things I bring to cut down on the weight. A mostly empty tote bag, my ID, a credit card or two, my cash, and my cell phone. Even little things like leaving your house keys in the car and just carrying your car key in with you will make a difference.

- Most of the booths will have entry forms for drawings. I print my info (name, address, email, phone, etc) on address labels at home so that I don't have to get writer's cramp filling out all those forms. I just put a label on whatever form they have, and then write in any extra info they ask for.

- Be aware of the pricing. Lots of people talk about the great deals you can find, and while I'm sure this is true, lots of the newer product is actually priced higher than you would pay elsewhere.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-17-13 01:08 PM
In response to Vae

Also, I take lots of pictures.

If you see something you like but you want to buy it later or online, take a picture of it so you remember.

If you buy something because of a sample you saw, hold the product up next to the sample and take a picture to remind you of why you bought it. On my first expo I came home with a few things that I knew I bought because of something I saw that I wanted to try, but I couldn't remember what it was.

If you spend a lot of money in a particular booth, take a picture of that booth and make sure you have their contact info in case something happens with the product. Many of them have very generic receipts that only list prices. They don't have the name of the store or the name of the product, so taking a picture of what you bought and the sign at the booth will help you later if you need to contact the company. (I only do this if I'm spending a larger amount of money).

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

Excellent tips!

I went to my first expo with a group and she had a little present for each of us - a 12 x 12 paper holder which we carried inside a tote. It really helped the corners of our papers stay nice! Now I put a 12 x 12 artbin in my tote so nothing gets wrinkled.

Like Vae said, I didn't see many bargains. I don't recall any but I shopped! I'm not a cash carrying person - rarely if ever and the bills tend to get lost or I drop them so I always give my debit card a good workout.

Comfortable shoes - so true!

I'm over 60 and have knee issues - I cannot stand - especially in line for more than a few minutes. I have a portable stool that folds up not much bigger than an umbrella and has a case that throws over my shoulder. It weighs 1 pound 6 ounces. I always have it with me for things like this so I can unfold it and sit whenever I my knees start hurting. I find these events have very few places to just sit and catch your breath!

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89
In response to Henri Jean

I will be sure to bring a paper holder! When I was flying home from Florida a couple weeks ago I happened to run into a scrapbook clearance store and of course, I purchased a handful of items including paper. On my various flights home, I was holding my paper and scrap booking items as if it were gold so it wouldn't get ruined!! Thanks for sharing!

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89
In response to Vae

Thank you SO much for your awesome, helpful and detailed tips!! I will be sure to bring my own tote. So I can use my debit card though? I am not a cash person. I will have my phone to be sure to take pictures. I am sort of going in there blindly because I already have supplies for the book I am currently working on. So it is nice that I do not have to scour for something specific but I do not want to get over board purchasing items I may "think" I might use or need one day. Sigh, I guess that's the beauty of scrapping right? I am not really hoping to score deals - I just want items that are different and that I can't find at my local craft store.

Now I need to find all my labels!

Edited by Alisa89 on 10-17-13 01:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-17-13 01:46 PM
In response to Alisa89

debit and credit cards... a lot of shops do accept them. But they don't have phone lines at these places so the booths are using their cell phones or wireless credit card machines. That means it takes longer and if they have issues like signal or something, then they might not be able to run your card. It's good to bring cash just in case but I used my credit card almost everywhere. Especially for the more expensive items. I don't use debit cards at all.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

I actually have a card from my bank that I put money on and use like debit or credit - rings up either way. I put plenty on it and that way if I loose it I haven't lost my bank account number or credit card number so there are not trails to my accounts.

I use it for online purchase and nearly all of my shopping for everything because it doesn't have a paper trail that leads to a credit card or bank account. Love it.

Had forgotten about the authorization process though. It can take a bit of time.

I shop for unique or different things even if I have no use at all for them right now. Who knows, I may use the skydiving stuff I bought some day.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

Definitely prepare for crowds. I had my son in his stroller this year (no sitter) and there were booths I didn't even get to see because was too narrow. I had no trouble using my debit/credit card, but it was easy to go over my budget that way. My big suggestion is buy things you don't see locally. When I went I had made a wish list of what I really wanted and looked for it while I was there. I only bought things I wasn't able to find at "the big box stores" so that I wouldn't have to order it online and pay shipping. I also agree to the picture taking, not just on the sample or what you want and didn't buy, but I took pics of the booth signs. I was introduced to some new places locally and online but they didn't have flyers and so I took a pic. Now my online shopping mall has more places to stop ENJOY!!!! I can't wait until ours comes again in February.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to scrapchica

Go to the expo's website and download coupons before you go.

Take advantage of any contests that the expo is sponsoring. I was given raffle tickets that I dropped off in a bin. It's hard to hear the names of the winners when they are announced, but they keep a "scoreboard" near the entrance that lists the winners' names.

I usually do bring cash to the expo, even though I'm a credit card person, simply because it's faster plus it's a good way to stay on budget and not go nuts.

I like to take a "tour" of the floor before buying items. Some booths simply have better prices for certain items.

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89

That's a really smart idea!

Alisa89
Tenant
Alisa89
In response to scrapchica

The plan is to only buy what I do not normally see at my local craft store. But we will see how that goes

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21
In response to Alisa89

are you going to the one in Sacramento in a few weeks?

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to ScrapAddict21

My sister and I go to the ones in Santa Clara and Pleasanton each year. We've learned to check the expo emails to see who is there and then check the map they give you at the door and head to our favorite few places first. We also try to go the first day of the expo..I've heard (haven't really confirmed) that they don't hold back stuff for the 2nd day of the expo so just to be safe we visit the most popular booths (or our favorites (IE, Scrapgranny) first. Also we try to get there early and visit the dollar booths...those lines get really reallllllly looonnng.
Bring a snack...you may not want to stop to eat or you may have so much fun you forget to eat or you maybe won't want to spend any of your scrap money on something as useless as food.
And yes to the comfy shoes and the paper tote and a little more money than you think you need your first time.
It does get crowded but I've discovered most scrappers are very nice people.
Also lots of craft stores and stores like Michaels or Joann may have $2 off coupons for your entry fee.
I hope you have a great time!

11ROSES
New Kid On the Block
11ROSES
In response to Alisa89

I would suggest cash for the "make and takes," little projects several booths have that you make at the Expo and take home with you. They can range from $1 to over $5 each and can be a card, layout, embellishment, even a mini-album. The Expo website will have a list of them, which booths and what the project is. Be sure to check them all out!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics