Username Post: Flying with scrappin' supplies        (Topic#1591653)
scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica

Anyone have any tips or tricks? I'm going on a business trip and since I'm not paying to check my bag, you'd better believe it will be loaded up with scrappin' stuff for downtime at the hotel. I realized last night when using my TH Distress Ink Pad, some of this might get super messy. Sure, I can always pop my ink pads/stickles in a plain ole ziplock, but I'm open to any ideas!!

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to scrapchica

I travel with supplies often. All sharp objects must go in checked baggage. I also put all my adhesives and ink pads in my checked bags. Everything that could possibly leak is in zipper plastic bags. So as not to have it break, my paper cutter is wrapped in bubble wrap and packed along the back side of the suitcase so it doesn't get broken. I always take my page kits/photos in my carry on so they do not get lost, I figure I can always buy adhesives, etc at my destination but I need my photos!

The big thing to remember when scrapping on the road is post it notes-that way you can put a note on a page to remind yourself of something you wanted for the page that is at home, or a great title idea so you can finish something later and not forget the idea you had.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to MisasMom

Fantastic suggestions. Exactly the sort of things I had in mind when I posted. LOVE the post it suggestion.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

Do some preplanning ahead - that way you can minimize what you take and still feel creative. I generally will put together some page kits with the pattern papers I will use, cardstock, photos, and sketch.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to GwynnAsbury

Bubble wrap!!! I used to travel with my supplies for business. I can't tell you how many trimmers, punches, and hard-sided totes got cracked in my checked luggage.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Luvmyfam

I take my laptop and edit pictures every night as well as journal on the computer what we did every day - I can delete what I don't want easier then I can try to recreate the memories.

I carry a small wheeled suitcase which is within airline carry-on regulations which has an 12 x 12 artbin plastic holder for momentos from the trip which I refuse to put in checked in luggage as wall as scrapbook paper and other paper supplies I've picked up on the trip.

I bought my little carry-on suitcase a few months ago and fortunately took the artbin 12 x 12 into the store with me. Because the little suitcases are made differently the artbin didn't fit in all of them. I think its a Jeep brand suitcase that held it just fine and still small.

I also put some paper towel rolls in my suitcase. Then if I want to bring back something that is oversized - site maps to zoos and attractions, placemats from restaurants that I want to scrap later - anything larger than 12 x 12 - I roll them up and put them in the paper towel holder. Now I have a nicer one that we got when we bought an unframed print once - its sturdier but I used to just carry a paper towel cardboard empty roll.

That also goes in my carry-on bag.

Before I got the wheeled carry-on suitcase I always had a large open tote which easily held my 12 x 12 artbin case.

After the last trip we walked the streets of Istanbul and Romania and other places and hung my big tote over the handle of our pulled suitcases. Since the tote didn't close I always had to keep an eye on it because anyone could have reached into it. Now I have the suitcase I don't have to keep looking - I would know if someone started unzipping a suitcase I was carrying.

Veteran
In response to Henri Jean

Try to make page kits before you leave. I have some 12 x 12 plastic bag things that have a large flap with a button to keep them shut. I always put pictures, paper, embellies, and adhesives in those. I also take my laptop and do my titles while I'm gone and then cut them when I get home. I always like I finish so many layouts after I get home, because all I have to do are the titles!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

one thing to remember is, this stuff is HEAVY, especially paper stacks! Take only the papers you will really need (and a few extra).

AND bring something to protect your masterpieces on the way home. Last thing you want is for your hard work to get crushed or bent on the way home. A slim 12 x 12 art bin is perfect.

I have found it is quite easy to scrap on-the-road (even outdoors). But the hardest part is the "you can always buy it" answer doesn't help you when you really need that paper cutter, good pair of scissors or more adhesive. Having been stuck without certain things a few times I think I would rather take it and run the risk of not getting it through the airport than to have to rely on buying it on the other side (which is often a lot harder to do than you think).
Products Referenced in This Post:

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics